Garmin G3X

Htmlkid

On 9/13/2020 at 11:30 AM, carusoam said:

PJ has the best example of a proper Mooney installation of the G3X....

Now to convince HTML that everyone is doing it, and he needs to get on board, fast...   :)

OPM spending on a Sunday afternoon... an MS specialty...

Oddly, PJs audio panel doesn’t have a screen....

PSEngineering needs to have a color screen to get everyone on board... 

Best regards,

-a-

I agree that the PMA 450C needs to have an LCD color screen. Maybe even touchscreen. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, MIm20c said:

Yours looks great. I’m just wondering with the gfc hanging out along with a Garmin large screen protruding what will look best. 2A6DF5B7-2DCE-4F1D-A52C-5EB3748D7057.thumb.jpeg.57b3a683a9d20a626685c09332e34589.jpeg

Not sure I understand  the question.  I've  not heard of an option to flush mount the GFC controller. Mine is not flush mounted as you can see, but it "hangs out" only about 1/2 inch, no more than the factory original switches.  Where I have it, a least, I have had no aesthetic complaints. :lol:

I will point out: near as I can tell with now about 60 hours with this panel, the only things you must do on the GMC is to adjust the up/down wheel for vertical speed or IAS. You can select AP modes on the G3X, too.  Just touch the AP status bar at the top of the PFD and all the AP select buttons are right there.  Everything else can be done on the G3X touch screen including setting alt select, heading select etc.  In practice I've naturally gravitated to using the heading knob and Alt Sel knob on the GMC, as wel. As the mode buttons, since it's  all right there at my right hand, which would be what would touch the G3X anyway.  This was a very fortuitous place to mount the GMC.  Still better to be lucky than good.

• 2 months later...

I figured I'd post a picture of my new panel here in case anyone has any questions about the setup or is looking at doing something similar.  I've only flown with a few times now but the GFC500 is living up to its reputation so far in flying approaches, IAS climbs, ect... Since I didn't have a big JPI prior to the upgrade I really like using the MFD during cruise flight to put the full engine instrumentation.  I put a bunch of the legacy equipment for sale in the classifieds section but feel free to PM if you're looking for something else I didn't list since it may still be in a box.

Top pic is on A/P while testing out flying holds...

IMG_31452.png

IMG_22722.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, PJClark said:

Cool.

Do you not have it set up to tune either radio or set squawk on the G3X 10.6?

It should, my installer inaccurately  claimed it couldn’t when I picked it up so I need to go back and have him do some additional wiring.  Fortunately, everything else seems to be working fairly well...

I’m hoping he doesn’t put up much of a fight when I speak with him about it tomorrow since the interoperability was the main reason I went with the new Garmin radios rather than keep my King ones.

2 minutes ago, PJClark said:

If those are GNC 255s he should have hooked them both up...AND your GNX 375!

You'll love it when you can do everything with a few touches on the G3X

Tell me about it.  Why do I always feel like I’m the only one who gets screwed over by aviation service providers :lol:.

He even said they spent all these hours on the phone with Garmin! My understanding is that it’s pretty straightforward in the install manual.  When I went into config mode yesterday there are also 2 RS-232 ports being unused!

On 9/14/2020 at 12:38 PM, N231BN said:

There isn't room for the flush mount bracket in a stock panel, at least in my '79 231.

My shop told me the same thing for my J model.  One of the guys who frequents here (J model also) used the same shop for a pair of G5's and G500.  They tried like %$# to see if they could fit a flush mount in the stock panel.  Just wont work  - I was told it was a clearance problem towards the top of the panel.