Garmin G3X

Htmlkid

35 minutes ago, Htmlkid said:

Has anyone installed one of these yet. Im curious to hear a review and the approximate cost of install. IM currently flying 1975 M20F with 530w and 375 adsb and an stec55 auto pilot.

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?q="G3X"&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=or&search_in=titles

PJ has the best example of a proper Mooney installation of the G3X....

Now to convince HTML that everyone is doing it, and he needs to get on board, fast...   :)

OPM spending on a Sunday afternoon... an MS specialty...

Oddly, PJs audio panel doesn’t have a screen....

PSEngineering needs to have a color screen to get everyone on board... 

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Some people don’t like to share personal information in public environments....

Especially when it is giant numbers like avionics...

Often, some information is not part of public record, as a special price for a certain customer may not be available to everyone....

Sometimes, you may have to befriend somebody enough that they share this kind of detail, but they may do it via a pm...

Are you expecting anything different?

Keep in mind, not everyone is hiding behind a screen name, with absolutely no avatar data shared at all...

:)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Htmlkid said:

Why is everyone so afraid to answer the question how much the install was?????

I don't think that's completely fair. A G3X install is going to be very unique to your aircraft and is likely part of a panel overhaul project with one big invoice. 

The G3X itself is just a giant G5, and if you had a big empty spot on your panel it wouldn't cost a lot to install. But the options you choose for your project could drive it 10s of AMUs in either direction. 

I doubt seriously that anyone on MS has installed a G3X MFD by itself, without removing or installing any other hardware. 

If the panel itself is $10k, and you're just adding it to an empty spot, I'd say plan on a $13k project. This assumes a 10" G3X, which isn't your only option. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tmo said:

FWIW, I'd rather see more physical buttons on the PMA450C than a big color screen...

I thought that as well but I have been very happy with the integrated comms in the G world.  It makes everything sync seamlessly.  I actually had a PS engineering BT intercom that I was going to install but, again, have no regrets.

41 minutes ago, toto said:

I don't think that's completely fair. A G3X install is going to be very unique to your aircraft and is likely part of a panel overhaul project with one big invoice. 

Agree with this point as well.  I spent in the $30s for a new panel being cut, JPI relocation, G3X, GNX375 + two remote radios and some antennas.  And some other tidbits that made sense that I have since forgot about.  

Here's a before and after:

1455366939_beforeandafter.thumb.JPG.8d77b7a429b1cd6412e6cdd2398684eb.JPG

• Like 4

G3X alone was $13k installed.  But you must have a backup and I think only the G5 is eligible: $3500 installed.

@carusoam I just cheaped out and kept the existing audio panel. :D But I think that's turned out to have been a good choice 'cause I maybe touch it once every 5 flights?

But I get the cool factor of "more screens is better"

• Like 1

I recently installed the 7” G3X in my Mooney,  its a great product and works well with my KAP-150 autopilot. The installed price was around $9k including cutting a new panel.

For me, the learning curve was a little steep - the Garmin manual is awful - it may be age issue though because I’m 65.  In contrast my 37 year old son didn’t read the manual; he pushed a few buttons and said “ this is straightforward and similar to a gtn750 interface” and off he went.  

lee

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MIm20c said:

@PJClark would you say the G5 and jpi have about the same reveal (height above panel)?  Which flush mount did you use on the g5?  Struggling between flush mount and surface mount for the JPI/G5 and the gfc controller. 

They're both flush, if there's  any reveal it's  not much and they're the same.  I don't know what the mount is the shop did all that.

1 hour ago, PJClark said:

They're both flush, if there's  any reveal it's  not much and they're the same.  I don't know what the mount is the shop did all that.

Thanks. The radio stack and the gfc control is 0.68 inches tall. Not sure if I want to bring all the units out that far, just flush mount the JPI and g5, or flush the gfc as well.

27 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

Thanks. The radio stack and the gfc control is 0.68 inches tall. Not sure if I want to bring all the units out that far, just flush mount the JPI and g5, or flush the gfc as well.

Definitely flush mount both the G5 and JPI. They just look so much better that way. You can see them here flush mounted.

IMG_2512.thumb.jpeg.b1e10e8534d2f5f4bc0ce336ac83a4c0.jpeg

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Definitely flush mount both the G5 and JPI. They just look so much better that way. You can see them here flush mounted.

Yours looks great. I’m just wondering with the gfc hanging out along with a Garmin large screen protruding what will look best. 2A6DF5B7-2DCE-4F1D-A52C-5EB3748D7057.thumb.jpeg.57b3a683a9d20a626685c09332e34589.jpeg

I was quoted an additional $4000+ just to flush mount dual G5s. The King KAP/KFC 150 AI and HSI leave large square holes in the panel so they would have to fabricate parts and spend more time to get the flush mount kit to work. I skipped it since I’m planning a G3X install in a few years anyway, which will involve cutting an entirely new panel. I’ll just have to live with protruding G5s until then. Would have looked better, but not $4000 better in my opinion. 

57 minutes ago, ZuluZulu said:

I was quoted an additional $4000+ just to flush mount dual G5s. The King KAP/KFC 150 AI and HSI leave large square holes in the panel so they would have to fabricate parts and spend more time to get the flush mount kit to work. I skipped it since I’m planning a G3X install in a few years anyway, which will involve cutting an entirely new panel. I’ll just have to live with protruding G5s until then. Would have looked better, but not $4000 better in my opinion. 

I'm sorry, I don't mean to dump on your shop but that seems nuts, when I had my G5 installed (as a backup to my G500 TXi), it was $65 for the flush mount kit and another hour to mount thr bracket to the back of the panel.  I don't see how going to 2 G5s makes this so expensive.  For instance, you can find the dual flush mount kit here:

https://www.steinair.com/product/g5-flush-mount-bracket-dual/

So that seems to imply about $3900 for mounting the bracket.  I'm not sure but I think the shop just flush riveted the bracket to the panel before power coating. 

Could this have been the cost for an entirely new panel?  Even so it seems expensive.

47 minutes ago, 201Mooniac said:

I'm sorry, I don't mean to dump on your shop but that seems nuts, when I had my G5 installed (as a backup to my G500 TXi), it was $65 for the flush mount kit and another hour to mount thr bracket to the back of the panel.  I don't see how going to 2 G5s makes this so expensive.  For instance, you can find the dual flush mount kit here:

https://www.steinair.com/product/g5-flush-mount-bracket-dual/

So that seems to imply about $3900 for mounting the bracket.  I'm not sure but I think the shop just flush riveted the bracket to the panel before power coating. 

Could this have been the cost for an entirely new panel?  Even so it seems expensive.

I like the shop and they've been pretty straight with me about everything.  If I was keeping dual G5s permanently I probably would have pushed but since I'm planning a new panel anyway, it doesn't really matter.