'67 M20F Gear Horn Wiring Question

SLOWR426

Does this look like my old dual-warning unit is wired correctly for the gear horn?  I wear an A20 headset, but cannot for the life of me hear any gear horn when practicing stalls or on landing.  The stall horn works well (within the dual unit).  I also see this Sonalert buzzer; the only other horn I can think of is the S-Tec autopilot. Could the Sonalert be a replacement for the gear horn when that half of the dual warning unit failed, or could it be the autopilot horn?

Thank Much

Glenn in CA, USA

77L Dual Horn Unit.jpg

77L Sonalert.jpg

Welcome aboard Slow Glenn,

Is that a Mooney behind all that wire?

It’s typically a work or don’t work... Kind of situation...

Time to take the noise canceling headsets off to see what is going on...  :)

Chances are... you bought the really cool headset to eliminate the buzz and hum sounds that are so annoying... they wake you up...

There are quite a few people that have gone to the next level... and swapped out the annoying buzz and hum for a human voice to tell you... stall, stall....

There are a few Sonalerts used in all Mooneys... the really annoying ones are mounted in the ceiling... a steady on, and an on/off/on/off....   one for gear up/throttle out, the other for stall...

this is best tested while on the ground... for gear up alarms, test while up in jacks...

PP thoughts only, not a CFI... Or a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

At the same time...

The Sonalert in the OP looks like something built this century... not the last century...

When it comes to dual Sonalerts...I would be expecting a pair of sonalerts pretty much side by side...

When the Mooney factory mounts things... they usually use all the mounting holes... when able...

Glenn,

Looks like somebody has handed you a real project...  :)

The usual location for the dual Sonalerts is above your head, behind the ceiling panel.

The computer printed, two color decal, is not 60s technology...

Yes it looks wired correctly, from one point of view...

but it looks completely wrong from another  point of view... check the wires to see if they are different colors/sizes from one place to the next... aviation wire in one place... hardware store red and black at the other end...

Start chasing wires to figure out what was done last with that new Sonalert...

Start reading logs to see if it was logged under airframe maintenance...

For fun, see if anyone updated the WnB in the POH... or a wiring diagram as would be the norm today...

Since this device is attached to a safety mechanism... you might want to involve your handy mechanic to complete the straightening out procedure...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic.

Best regards,

-a-

14 hours ago, Vance Harral said:

Most obvious thing is the (-) terminal of the "gear" connection on that terminal block appears to have nothing at all connected to it.  That would be consistent with the gear horn not sounding.

Note for Glenn...

Vance brings up another important note about somebody has changed your wiring....

Your pic has some parallax with it... the labels don’t match the screws very well... and Hides a pair of +/-... with all the +s and -s there is a missing wire there also... above the word Gear...

Time to invite your favorite mechanic to finish the job that was started by somebody...

There is a thread around here where people are discussing this wiring with respect to adding voice cues... with their PS engineering audio panel...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic..

Best regards,

-a-