Cellphone options

Danb

10 minutes ago, carusoam said:

But, it is probably better than the home-use finger, finger nail, color based, sensors...

That's what I'm thinking... And I'd always be wearing it...

While I'm a certified Apple fan-boy, I've avoided the wearables preferring to stick with old school, mechanicals such as the Rolex, Panerai, IWC, etc... Maybe it's time... pardon the pun.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

That's what I'm thinking... And I'd always be wearing it...

While I'm a certified Apple fan-boy, I've avoided the wearables preferring to stick with old school, mechanicals such as the Rolex, Panerai, IWC, etc... Maybe it's time... pardon the pun.

Agree completely. My next will be a nice used Omega. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

I am a certified Apple fanboy, too, but I believe in buying them new or, better yet, factory refurbished 

This is usually my approach also, but today I pulled the trigger on the brand-new Apple Watch Series 6.  They earned it by adding O2, a feature I've hoped for ever since the original.  With trade-in credit for my Series 5, it's only going to cost $250 out of pocket.  No-brainer upgrade.

The majority of my Apple gear was purchased either refurbished (same one-year warranty as new) or from Best Buy.  (Why Best Buy?  Because they're willing to negotiate and/or price-match.)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

I am a certified Apple fanboy, too, but with Apple products I believe in buying them new or, better yet, factory refurbished due to the high cost of battery replacement.  I save money on them by never buying the latest generation, though, and by buying iPhone SEs and iPad Minis.   FWIW, I finally broke down and bought a new Apple Watch 3 for $200 six months or so ago and have been totally surprised by how much I have enjoyed it and have come to rely on it.  I don’t think I will ever want to go back to a “dumb” watch. In a few years when my Apple Watch’s battery dies I am really looking forward to trying this latest model!  :)

Jim

I used to worry about battery replacements. However, my wife is so efficient at breaking screens I’ve gotten pretty fast at changing them out.

• Like 1

Just now, bluehighwayflyer said:

I had good luck replacing ours, too, up through my wife’s long since departed iPhone 5, which I destroyed in the process of trying.  Now when their batteries go bad I just sell them off used on eBay along with a screenshot of their battery condition.   By then they are usually worth less than $100 anyway and we are ready for an upgrade.  

I must admit, I am very tempted by this latest Apple Watch to upgrade prematurely.  Please be sure to give us a good PIREP once you the chance to fly with yours.  

Jim

Wilco!

3 hours ago, MIm20c said:

Agree completely. My next will be a nice used Omega. 

I loved my Omega. Wore it 24 years, then the crown pulled out. Sent it to the Service Center, they shipped it to Switzerland. The quote was almost 2AMU . . . So now I'm wearing a Tag, just not thrilled with its relative accuracy. It'll be the only one of those I ever wear. Need another Omega, just don't work at a store that carries them anymore . . . .

On 9/15/2020 at 6:50 PM, gsxrpilot said:

Mine are all used... Never Pay Retail

Have worn the same Rolex Datejust since 1987 when I got it as a graduation gift. I have never seen the need for anything else.  As an added benefit, it can be sold today for more than it was purchased then, even factoring in inflation. 

• Like 1