Cellphone options

Danb

My I phone is dying, I use ForeFlight on two iPads plus have ForeFlight on my cellphone, there are two many phone options to ascertain which to purchase..plus advent of 5G. I don’t have to have a phone for ForeFlight.

What is the best smartphone available, plus the flight app for that phone, I’ve been a Verizon user.

My son loves droids, so I've inherited his old phones. I'm currently using a pixel and TBH, I don't miss the iPhone.  BUT I really miss having foreflight available any time I need it. I use it on my ipad, and I need wifi or else create a hotspot. First world problems. 

• Like 1

If you are comfortable in the Apple/Foreflight ecosystem and there isn't any real reason to go to Android for a phone, I'd stuck with Apple.

I have Foreflight on an iPad but my phone is (and will probably always be) Android. iFlyGPS is my pay-for backup. Best there is on Android, hands down (and it's multi-platform). For free backup, might as well go with the free FltPlan Go! I know some folks love Avare but I've never been a fan,

Currently have a 6s plus  which has been problematic lately 

The 8 definitely has the CPU power to run FF/GP. Transferring from 6 to 8 is almost effortless, put them close to each other and the new phone will pull everything off the 6s during initial startup.

The 12 will have 5G if that’s important to you. Given limited coverage probably won’t be widely used for a few years.

9 hours ago, McMooney said:

It's a pay app but Garmin Pilot is great on android.  It isn't feature for feature with the Apple version but it's close enough.

Note,  until the latest Garmin pilot update for apple, i preferred using the android version;  app layout and navigation just felt better.

2 hours ago, Danb said:

Currently have a 6s plus  which has been problematic lately 

My wife upgraded from 6s to XR quite painlessly when Sam's ran them for $650 with $250 gift card back last fall. But she doesn't have flight apps . . . . And I love my Galaxy!

• Like 1

I've been a Galaxy user for a long time.   There are so many free apps that are relevant it shouldn't make much difference what you get.   I think I have three or four weather apps (Windy, Avia Weather, AOPA GO, etc., etc.).   Plus now you can text an airport designator to flight service and get the current METARs back, and that'll work on any phone.   I've run Avare (a free EFB) on phones before, and keep an old phone in my flight bag as a lightweight tablet backup that has Avare on it.

Basically, the availability of relevant tools is high, so the world is open to whatever direction you want to go.   

• Like 1

I used to avoid AAPL devices because of cost....

Then I began enjoying AAPL devices because of simplicity... (My aged brain enjoys simplicity...)

So... I get a new2me iPhone hand-me-down every now and then.... A team work kind of thing at my house... :)

When my phone starts to show its age, her phone starts looking really good to me...

So... Based on Dan’s request... I went to the I store to see what’s on sale...

The I store shows every I device I ever bought.... makes it easy to upgrade based on what I have already....

I’m using a 6s currently as well...

Check out the price with the trade in... pretty low, knowing the new phones will be out this fall...

Keep in mind, our 6s(s) probably don’t have much exchange value... note that little asterisk at the end... *

Best regards,

-a-

64BF44C4-96BC-4647-A453-F914686A3D52.png

• Like 4

I agree with @carusoam.  It is best to buy "pre-owned" iPhones.  I was tasked with getting our church services online during COVID.  I bought a couple of iPhone 7 phones for about $170 each through EBay, and got an App called Switcher Studio to link the phones, plus my iPad and MacBook Pro, for recording and live-streaming the services.  The used phones have all worked well and have decent battery capacity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

Tomorrow is an interesting day for Apple fans...

Some new products get announced with their schedule of release...

9/15 Apple Special Event...

Best regards,

-a-

That means all current product pricing will start down, reaching near Samsung prices just after Christmas.  ;)

• Like 1

I am going to second what @carusoamsaid.  I’m on the same spousal support program, except last year we both had issues and I got an XR and she got some XS (code for excessive).  But the SE is a pretty attractive deal if you dont need the New hotness, 1.1AMU phone.  

I think I’ll apply this spousal support method to airplanes.  If I convince HER to buy a J or K, in two years, she’ll be due for an upgrade to an O!  Thanks for the idea Anthony!

• Like 1

I never considered getting an Apple Watch but now I’m a little tempted with the oxygen sensor.  Rather than checking my pulse of every 10 minutes in the flight levels this could be exactly what I need (if it’s accurate).  Thoughts from anyone else who flies high such as @gsxrpilot?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Davidv said:

I never considered getting an Apple Watch but now I’m a little tempted with the oxygen sensor.  Rather than checking my pulse of every 10 minutes in the flight levels this could be exactly what I need (if it’s accurate).  Thoughts from anyone else who flies high such as @gsxrpilot?

Making me think about an Apple Watch as well... 

The I watch is clearly not a medical device...

But, it is probably better than the home-use finger, finger nail, color based, sensors...

Today’s APPL announcement was watches and iPads... next month will be phones...

Jogging and knowing HR and O2 saturation in real time would be really nice... 

Having a vibrating alarm on your wrist at altitude would be interesting... this may be helpful for knowing about O2 challenges before they become a problem...

Go modern technology!

Go Mooney!

Best regards,

-a-