Building my new cockpit piece by piece.

MIm20c

Well the time has come to build a new computer for flying my desk around lower Michigan. Was planning on a dirt cheap lower end build but couldn’t decide on a video card. Well the new 3070 was just announced so the budget will be blown wide open. 

Anyone currently playing FS2020?  What about current or future computer builds w/specs?  Thinking about triple 40 inch screens down the road...VR not sure. 

50 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

The 3080 does look like it brings a good amount extra to the table for the modest price increase. It also releases a month earlier... Not sure my budget build can handle that powerhouse. 

Make sure to get a decent power supply. IIRC, they're pulling a little more power than the 2000 series. My son has a 2080ti, and he's wanting the 3090 for his birthday.  He's bummed bc the new cards crushed resale for his 2080ti. 

• 1 month later...

Well everything is falling into place. Couldn’t locate a reasonably priced 3080 so I’m picking up a reserved 3070 this week. 

Still undecided on a monitor setup. Planning on using the computer for iracing and flight simulator. Torn between a single ultra wide (38 or 49) or going with triple 27’s or 32’s. Realistically knowing that pushing higher than 1080 on a triple display might crush my frame rate.  Wished I could justify a 3090 but I’m not a gamer...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MIm20c said:

Well everything is falling into place. Couldn’t locate a reasonably priced 3080 so I’m picking up a reserved 3070 this week. 

Still undecided on a monitor setup. Planning on using the computer for iracing and flight simulator. Torn between a single ultra wide (38 or 49) or going with triple 27’s or 32’s. Realistically knowing that pushing higher than 1080 on a triple display might crush my frame rate.  Wished I could justify a 3090 but I’m not a gamer...

I'm having trouble correlating these two statements . . . . . Looks to me like you need a 3090 (but I haven't kept up with IC chip specs for the last several generations).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hank said:

I'm having trouble correlating these two statements . . . . . Looks to me like you need a 3090 (but I haven't kept up with IC chip specs for the last several generations).

Good call. I can honestly say my ps3, ps4, and Xbox one have been gamed on less than an hour over the past decade. I’m looking for a way to keep my mind and skills sharp when I don’t have time to go to the track or go flying. 

A 3090 would be nice but the retail price is higher than my budget for the entire system and many people are paying $750 over that just to get their hands on one. 

1 minute ago, MIm20c said:

A 3090 would be nice but the retail price is higher than my budget for the entire system and many people are paying $750 over that just to get their hands on one. 

Wow! $750 is more than I paid for my ready-to-use last desktop PC and software . . . . HP all-in-one, 27" touchscreen, back in Spring 2014 . . . .