Breaking News: Diamond Aircraft DA50 RG Certified. Cirrus Killer?

HRM

I'm a diamond fan, got my license in a da20, spent lots of avgas in a da40 and would love a DA62.  But, i'm really not understanding the DA50rg.

Why release the plane plane with so many minuses compared to it's competitor.  less range, speed and probably a higher cost.  Of course it'll cost more to insure.  only win is lower fuel cost.  Am i missing something?  

that being said, if i had enough cash i'd probably buy one

Just now, McMooney said:

I'm a diamond fan, got my license in a da20, spent lots of avgas in a da40 and would love a DA62.  But, i'm really not understanding the DA50rg.

Why release the plane plane with so many minuses compared to it's competitor.  less range, speed and probably a higher cost.  Of course it'll cost more to insure.  only win is lower fuel cost.  Am i missing something?  

I think it's basically an Arrow or a Cutlass.  It's a step-up model in the same line.

14 minutes ago, McMooney said:

I also have time in a DA20 and DA40.  This plane looks pretty cool, but it needs to hold more than 50 gallons of fuel.  Also, they don't list the useful load which is pretty important here.

2 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

How about a 240 KT, 20 GPH, 3700#GW, 800# full fuel load retract with autoland NXI suite for a few bucks less than an SR22T? Would it get some "likes"?

Does it have 3 entry doors, a modern avionics suite, a state of the art motor, fiki, and fadec?

is it composite, is it fully controllable in a stall? 

Edited by chriscalandro

17 minutes ago, chriscalandro said:

Does it have 3 entry doors, a modern avionics suite, a state of the art motor, fiki, and fadec?

is it composite, is it fully controllable in a stall? 

I bet it has 3 doors (left, right and back); a modern integrated Garmin suite with multiple screens and keyboard; optional FIKI (because not everyone wants or needs it); is truly composite (partly aluminum, partly steel, partly carbon fiber, maybe even partly fiberglass); and is controllable in the stall by a competent pilot (one who isn't just along for the ride). And it has auto-land . . . .  :P

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hank said:

I bet it has 3 doors (left, right and back); a modern integrated Garmin suite with multiple screens and keyboard; optional FIKI (because not everyone wants or needs it); is truly composite (partly aluminum, partly steel, partly carbon fiber, maybe even partly fiberglass); and is controllable in the stall by a competent pilot (one who isn't just along for the ride). And it has auto-land . . . .  :P

Auto land is a good one. 

honestly though, if I were in the market for a new airplane, it would probably have to be one of the new diesel powered Fadec controlled motors. 

the reduced workload in engine management is not negligible. 

• Like 1

My point in starting this thread was reference to the threads on the MAC revival and the plethora of comments on what they should be doing.

One poster stated that they are an airplane company and should be making airplanes. I agree.

What ensued was that they needed to beat Cirrus (good luck), but then I saw this headline and wondered if the DA50 RG was indeed a 'Cirrus Killer'.

If so, what did Diamond do that perhaps Mooney should follow. What advantages does Mooney have over Diamond other than being a US company?

<if indeed that is an advantage anymore>

• Like 2

7 hours ago, HRM said:

My point in starting this thread was reference to the threads on the MAC revival and the plethora of comments on what they should be doing.

One poster stated that they are an airplane company and should be making airplanes. I agree.

What ensued was that they needed to beat Cirrus (good luck), but then I saw this headline and wondered if the DA50 RG was indeed a 'Cirrus Killer'.

If so, what did Diamond do that perhaps Mooney should follow. What advantages does Mooney have over Diamond other than being a US company?

<if indeed that is an advantage anymore>

take the current model, add this continental diesel, done.  faster, longer range and fadec. maybe find a way to make it less expensive.

• Like 1

It’s not the prettiest plane (the tail fin is shaped WRONG). But it has potential.  Even given the engine, the fuel tanks are a bit shy, but I could see the demand for a long range tank option becoming strong enough for an STC or factory option.  Then, I think it would be a winner.  I like the doors on Diamonds, I think making egress easy for passengers is important. Now if any Mooneys came with a third passenger door......  the Saratoga would have left my short list LONG ago. 

• Like 1