Outside Tie Down Tips

Trenta

Hello All,

I’m looking to put together some offers for a Pre-J Mooney (B,C,G) so I need to start thinking about some logistics. I am on a couple different hangar waiting lists at the moment but until then I need to start making some outside tie down considerations. I want to be prepared both for proper tie downs as well as grass occasionally. Also I will be sharing time between Southern California (KSNA) and somewhere in the PDX area. Some questions I have:

-Covers: Interior fitted window covers? Or external empennage? Cowl inserts? Prop covers?
what are your experiences with these? Is there a sure fire solution?

-Tie downs: Do those dirt screw things work? 

-Control Lock:  is the piper seatbelt method used here or are there better more effective solutions?

-Fuel System Protection: I have seen some shade tree gas cap covers to keep water from seeping into the tanks. What do you guys do if you are parked in the rain? 

-Paint Protection: What kind of soap do you use to wash? How often to you wax? What kind of wax? Special considerations to be made that are different than waxing a car? 

-Trent

Screw in tie downs work well. I used to keep a cheap set of the dog-style in the plane, but EAA sells a very nice set that held my plane during the tornadoes at Sun n Fun when the large yellow "Claw" thungs were pulling out everywhere. For control locks, Tractor Supply sells flat bungees (about an inch wide) that I use to wrap the yokes together. My Owners Manual says to use the seatbelt over the yoke, which is difficult but works--I did that also for the tornado.

There are several threads here about canopy covers and how to make your own window inserts. @Skates97has posted details for both window covers and window tinting, I think. No experience covering anything but the canopy, talk to folks around PDX about wing, tail, prop covers, etc.

• Thanks 1

I built a set of tie down anchors of which I am very proud.  Took a 5 link length of very thick chain, and bought three stakes to go through it.  Chain goes in front of the airplane and stakes get pounded in at an angle so the airplane can't pull them out.  Just like the really expensive ones, but a fraction of the cost.

All that said, says me get a hangar. Airplanes belong indoors.

• Thanks 1

Tie Downs - I've been using these for about 6 years now. They are great and come in a carrying pouch. http://www.flyties.com I threw away the ropes and got some some straps like these with retainer clips over the hooks. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0788733G8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Covers - I have a Bruce's cover which is great but I almost never use it. But then my Mooney lives indoors. But I do have interior window shades I use anytime it's parked on the ramp. They keep some of the heat out of the cockpit. But most importantly, keep prying eyes out of the cockpit. I bought a roll of this stuff off the Aviation isle in HomeDepot. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Reflectix-24-in-x-25-ft-Double-Reflective-Insulation-Roll-with-Staple-Tab-Edge-ST24025/100020855 Just cut it a little oversized and it will press fit into the windows without requiring any fasteners. Mine have lasted about four years so far. Work great weigh nothing.

Paint Protection - WashWaxAll, the blue stuff. https://www.amazon.com/Aero-Cosmetics-Waterless-Aircraft-Guaranteed/dp/B003WM9RZW/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=washwaxall&qid=1599749083&sr=8-2 Don't use water or Simple Green. Reach out to @Denver98 for details on the full Ceramic detail treatment.

Fuel System Protection - The best thing you can do here is make sure your O rings are in good shape and replaced on schedule.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll chime in as a long time tier downer. 

-Covers- I use one.  It's a Bruce's cover I bought from a fellow MooneySpacer.  It is a long one that covers the main part of the cabin and the engine.  I do recommend covering the whole cowl if you do.  It eliminates the need for cowling covers and covers the avionics bays so no water can seep in.  It also protects the interior and the glass from UV which is a big issue for tied down planes.

-Tie Downs- The problem with cheap screw in tie downs is where they crimp the metal.  This reduces the effective size of the metal rod to less than half in most cases, plus creates a stress point where it can fracture.  I bought these for when I was going to fly to Oshkosh before weather kept me at home.  They looked to be much better because they were welded instead of crimped.  I do have to say I've never used them, so I can only describe why I chose them. (https://smile.amazon.com/Gray-Bunny-GB-6873A4-Trampoline-Powder-Coated/dp/B07H2QF7L2/ref=pd_ybh_a_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=SFT8PGQ5NMWA6VG7QAXV

-Control Locks- I've never used them on my plane.  I probably should, but with the pushrod controls and the PC system, they have always seemed to have enough resistance to wind.  The only time I did anything different was when the hurricane was forecast to make it's way through upstate, SC.

-Fuel system Protection- Keep your caps maintained.  Enough said.  Beyond that, learn to identify when the caps aren't installed correctly and don't let it happen.  One more thing on fuel systems, unless you have bladders, keep your tanks full at all times.  The fuel will prevent the sealant from drying out and cracking.  My tanks started leaking because it sat around with half tanks.  From then on, you could only fill it half full before it would leak.  Also keep your gear donuts maintained.  If they get hard, you're absorbing the shock load of that hard landing in all the structure of the fuel tank.  It can cause seals to fail prematurely.  Or at least it's a good story and reason to maintain something you should maintain anyway.

-Paint Protection- Keep a good coat of wax on it.  Let the wax become the sacrificial layer for when you wash/buff/polish so you aren't taking off too much paint.  It will also help reduce how much the paint oxidizes leading to the need to wash/buff/polish.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Beware of temporary devices used for long term outdoor storage...

My C was outdoors for about 50 years...

1) Good cover... As much as you can afford to cover...

2) Fuel caps... get two new Orings... for each cap, adjust caps properly...

3) Sump fuel every time... get good fuel sump device...

4) Tie downs... nylon straps with ratchets are convenient... UV light kills them after a couple of years... so replace as needed...

5) Wax... yes.

6) Read up on gust locks too...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

I just ordered a Bruce's cover and some cowl inlet plugs from aircraft covers.com . The price for the canopy cover(201-style long slope windshield mod) was 

$520 with N number included. . They said it would ship within 3 weeks. The cover is made of sunbrella fabric and the  weight is 9LBS . I told my wife i was taking some time off from flying so i could go flying she muttered something and walked away. WE (the dog and I) will be doing some trips and the airplane will need the cover for over nights.

The anchors that Paul recommended are the best around.  Don't go cheap!

Get a cover, use it every time the airplane is parked for more than a couple hours.  Put it on, even in your hangar.  Your windows will stay clean, used all the time dust will not settle only to scratch your windows later.  Can't go wrong with a Bruce's cover.

If birds are a problem where you are, get cowl plugs and the cover for the open area on the tail.

Others said to keep good o-rings in the fuel caps.  Anthony said to sump the fuel every time.  If you leave the plane outside, sump the fuel every  time.  You will never find water, until you do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/10/2020 at 10:51 AM, gsxrpilot said:

Tie Downs - I've been using these for about 6 years now. They are great and come in a carrying pouch. http://www.flyties.com I threw away the ropes and got some some straps like these with retainer clips over the hooks. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0788733G8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mine work the exact same way, except the materials cost 5 or 10 bucks.  Straps are nice, I got a set and will use them next time I have to tie down the aircraft.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, steingar said:

Mine work the exact same way, except the materials cost 5 or 10 bucks.  Straps are nice, I got a set and will use them next time I have to tie down the aircraft.

Yeah, the design is so simple but very effective. I'm sure $10 at HomeDepot would get all the materials and in an hour you'd have a set done.

Get the blue fluorosilicone o-rings for the gas cap -- they hold up much better than the standard black rubber ones. If you need covers to keep the water out, something is wrong. Lube the o-rings (especially the small one on the shaft) with EZ-Turn.

The previous owner of my airplane bought a Bruce's cover 20 years ago. It's still in pretty good shape and fits great except it didn't provide for the 406MHz ELT that was added. I sent it to Bruce's and they modified it for free. Great customer service!

I've tried two screw-in tie downs: corkscrew and augur. They both work on turf, but the corkscrew won't hold in sandy soil and the augur doesn't work if the soil is rocky. I bought the one Paul @gsxrpilot likes as I think it is the most versatile. 

Skip

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Yeah, the design is so simple but very effective. I'm sure $10 at HomeDepot would get all the materials and in an hour you'd have a set done.

A simple 50-foot rope will make three dandy tie downs. Two long ones for the wing, a short one for the tail. Put an eye splice in one end, an end splice in the other end. Coil up the two long ones, wrap the short one around it and throw in the hatrack.

I'll try to remember to get a picture of the rope set and my very sturdy EAA tie downs, along with my aluminum angle chocks. 

• Like 1

Just now, Hank said:

my very sturdy EAA tie downs

I've been recommending to people the last couple of years, not even to take tie downs to Oshkosh. Last year, for $25 the ground crew would show up and tie down your airplane, providing all the gear. Which is pretty cheap especially if you're staying all week. And the money all goes to the local Boy Scout troop. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Hank said:

A simple 50-foot rope will make three dandy tie downs. Two long ones for the wing, a short one for the tail. Put an eye splice in one end, an end splice in the other end. Coil up the two long ones, wrap the short one around it and throw in the hatrack.

I'll try to remember to get a picture of the rope set and my very sturdy EAA tie downs, along with my aluminum angle chocks. 

Yeah I would love to see that picture