LOP settings for Encore

That's a pretty loaded question and doubtful throwing a couple numbers out would be on target.

There is so much written about running LOP on Mooneyspace, I suggest you type the following into Google to find some of the many threads here to help you get started:

Mooneyspace.com: running LOP 252 Encore

You see several threads on Mooneyspace that will help you get started. But before attempting to run LOP recognize you need a Gami spread of 0.5 GPH or better and a healthy ignition system to support it. If you haven't measured your gami spread I'd start there. This document will guide you through how to do that.

Thanks for the reply. Have been running all my aircraft LOP since 2002 so do understand what LOP entails - even did some articles to educate South African pilots on LOP with John Deakin's help. Have just purchased an Encore and it would be interesting to see what maniford, RPM and fuel flow the Encore owners run. I ran my Seneca V (with turbo 360 motors and intercooled) at 12GPH which equates to around 74% power. Ran great. 

I think it all depends on what you are trying accomplish.

Dick Collins ran best power mixture because, "we buy airplanes for speed."

Some run the big bores deeply LOP at slow speeds and get bragging rights for low fuel consumption.

John Deakin used to run 80+% LOP figuring that he could get the speed back without damaging anything if the CHTs are cool.

Skip

I also generally run 25” 9.5 gph in my encore. I used to run 28” 10.5 gph but the plane was not as happy, I get a slight vibration at that setting. If I want to go faster I do 28” 14.5 gph rop. That is 20 Ktas faster than the 9.5 gph setting but significantly less mpg.

• Like 1

Comes down to hardware, tuning, and eye on your TIT....

Running 80% power has some costs associated with it...

High CHTs need to be held in control or expect the cost of cylinders to be needed...

High TITs need to be held in control or expect the cost of turbos and exhaust parts to be needed...

Fuel efficiency starts to go out the window... while running in flaming dragon mode...

So... if you are really into engine operations... You have a lot of room to work with...

Best regards,

-a-

On 9/12/2020 at 11:18 PM, gsxrpilot said:

I flew my 252 from Denver to Manhattan, KS today. You can find it on FlightAware.

I was at 25" MP, 2500 RPM, 9.5gph at 17,000 ft.

Do you have GAMI injector's? I'm picking up my 252 this week and the seller said he runs 30" MP, 2500 RPM and LOP to 10.5-10.6 on the Shadin FT101. SO good to see that M20J numbers are possible to get out of the bigger 252 engine.

28 minutes ago, J Bird said:

Do you have GAMI injector's? I'm picking up my 252 this week and the seller said he runs 30" MP, 2500 RPM and LOP to 10.5-10.6 on the Shadin FT101. SO good to see that M20J numbers are possible to get out of the bigger 252 engine.

Yes I have GAMI's, but they are only required if the GAMI spread is too wide. I do not run at 30" LOP just because the "red box" is wider at the higher power setting. I'd need to ensure that I'm further from Peak at that power setting. At a 9.5 gph, the "red box" doesn't exist and I can run a bit closer to peak.

• Like 1