Aeroflash strobes

Would anyone have Aeroflash strobes installed on their M20C? I have these strobes but no 337, and the local FAA rep would not sign off on a 337 without previous installed data such as another 337. Please let me know if you have these strobes and a 337 that you would be willing to share. Thanks

This doesn't answer your question, but adding Aeroflash strobes as a supplemental system to the existing anti-collision light doesn't constitute a major alteration.  Just because Whelen went and got an STC for their strobes doesn't mean every strobe installation rises to that level.  By the FAAs own definitions, this installation is a minor modification and doesn't need a 337 signed off by a fed.  An A&P simply needs to sign off the logbook and say that the installation is airworthy.

• Like 1

Andy,

The Aeroflash strobes are TSO certified and have an STC for many Cessna, Gruman and Rockwell aircrafts. My local FAA rep would not sign off on the Aeroflash, even though i still have the old Grimes anticollision rotating beacon. So if i understand you correctly all i need is for the A&P / IA to make a logbook entry certifying the installation meets airworthiness standard? I must say i get lost in all this documentation and who is allowed to do what... Should you have the FAA ref. saying this is a minor modification only requiring a log book entry that would be most helpful. 

Thank you very much for your help.

FrancisG

My Mooney M20E had aeroflash strobes, while doing the prebuy one of the power packs was dead. I elected to change them out completely for Whelen Orion 650s but I was not able to find where or when they were installed in the log book. I assumed it was when they removed the rotating anti-collision light.

13 hours ago, AerostarDriver said:

My Mooney M20E had aeroflash strobes, while doing the prebuy one of the power packs was dead. I elected to change them out completely for Whelen Orion 650s but I was not able to find where or when they were installed in the log book. I assumed it was when they removed the rotating anti-collision light.

Yes, the Orion 650's are STC'd for M20C.  They work great.   I bought them used and asked Whelen for permission to install them on my a/c using the STC.  They told me "It's on our web site, just download and print.".   That was easy.

• Like 1

Yes, removing the working and existing Aeroflash strobes to install STC LED would be the ideal, and is my long term goal, but for now i would just like to make my Aeroflash strobes legal, at least until one fails. I am still looking for anyone having a 337. thanks to all.

1 hour ago, francisg said:

Yes, removing the working and existing Aeroflash strobes to install STC LED would be the ideal, and is my long term goal, but for now i would just like to make my Aeroflash strobes legal, at least until one fails. I am still looking for anyone having a 337. thanks to all.

Good luck.

Is there a logbook entry from when they were installed?   If so, if it was signed off by an A&P you should be good to go as a minor modification.  If they were on the airplane during the last annual, that's another documentation step that says there's nothing keeping you from flying the airplane with those installed.

If the TSO is the same TSO as other strobes installed in the same type aircraft, there is some guidance for substituting like-TSO-for-like-TSO equipment in AC 20-41A.    It's basically some simple checks for compatibility.