What is the typical weight of factory air conditioning?

Flyboy10

believe AC unit is driven by a electric motor, can tell when compressor is on, amp  meter draw jumps to 11 amps from 2 amps for a short period. early ovation have ac inlet located bottom of air frame, Mooney changed air inlet to top of aircraft so ac could be run on the ground during taxi. happy and easy to use ac and air blower controls which are nicely placed and cabin ventilation works very nicely so doors don't have to be open on the ground for ventilation

@Kelly Aerospace May have some answers to the AC questions...

From the factory numbers... there were three items that were optional, weighed similarly, and occupied the spaces, as the lead Charlie weights...  

• AC
  • FIKI
  • O2

The cost... about 700amu for the AC with AC.... because adding it later, you would naturally go Acclaim the next time...

:)

Best regards,

-a-

Our ELECTRIC a/c USES A hermetically sealed brushless D/C compressor.  We don't use an electric motor as the weight and power draw gets to be too much.  We add a 150 amp alternator to the kit not so much for the power but the new technology alternators have lower "Cut In" RPM.  This allows for great cooling at taxi and lower RPM operations.  the system weights about 60 pounds and produces serious cool air and plenty of it!

Walter 

• Thanks 3

6 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

Just a note in case you don't know - Kelly now has a STC for an aftermarket A/C system that is lighter and in some ways better than the factory A/C - better at least in that you can pre-cool your aircraft from ground power before you get into the plane.

And... it’s not driven by the accessory drive on the fragile, expensive starter adapter. 
-dan

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kelly Aerospace said:

Our ELECTRIC a/c USES A hermetically sealed brushless D/C compressor.  We don't use an electric motor as the weight and power draw gets to be too much.  We add a 150 amp alternator to the kit not so much for the power but the new technology alternators have lower "Cut In" RPM.  This allows for great cooling at taxi and lower RPM operations.  the system weights about 60 pounds and produces serious cool air and plenty of it!

Walter 

If I ever move to the hot south... that’s the unit I will get.

• 2 weeks later...

Nobody answered the OP's original question.  I don't have my W/B with me, but from memory I think the A/C adds about 80lbs to the total weight of the aircraft. It doesn't change any of the loading characteristics, e.g. it doesn't reduce the allowable load in the baggage compartment.  Of course, there is no hat rack so THAT 10 lbs of useful weight is gone!  My subjective opinion is that this adds to the nose-up attitude of the airplane on the ground due to the extra weight in the tail, furthering the notion that the Ovation is the twin of the P51!

(Fraternal twin, of course.)