Flying in and out of AGL aviation (KMRN)

rbridges

I'm supposed to be there for my annual tomorrow.  Of course cloud are starting to roll in tonight.  Waiting to see what forecast calls for after 8am, but 700' ceilings from 5am to 8am.  If I take off right after work from middle GA, I should be there around 7pm.  Sunset is around 730pm.  25000 ceilings changing to 3500 broken at 9pm.

My question is if it's a pretty easy airport in the evening.  It looks like mountains are to the west and a 3000' area to the south.  From what I can gather, I think it should be safe, but I'd kinda like to get some first hand opinions for an evening flight if we go that way.  I don't want to be "that guy."  :lol:

Its in a reasonable spot but I can see it being a bit hard to find if looking from the wrong angle.  If you can fly the RNAV its easy.

Give Lynn or the airport a call though and make sure you have a car set up.  Its not near anything and the airport will probably be empty.  Very friendly all the way around but its best to have plans in place for that.

• Like 2

there are 'mountains' and hills all around, especially west of there, plus antennii poking up on top of a lot of the hills.  you've got a lot of other options east that are in the flatlands.  when I fly there from charlotte I go at 3000 but as I'm descending I definitely look out for towers.  there are approaches as well.  also, bring dunkin donuts. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, eman1200 said:

there are 'mountains' and hills all around, especially west of there, plus antennii poking up on top of a lot of the hills.  you've got a lot of other options east that are in the flatlands.  when I fly there from charlotte I go at 3000 but as I'm descending I definitely look out for towers.  there are approaches as well.  also, bring dunkin donuts. 

If I can safely circle around the airport at 3000', I should be fine.  I checked the plates, and I thought I was good, but nothing beats first hand experience.  

Flying VFR or in the dark in iffy weather, one thing I do is look at the instrument approaches. Fly at altitudes at or above what is appropriate for IFR and you will be safe.  Last time there, I actually did an instrument approach and used the ADF to identify Fiddlers NDB for the outbound procedure turn and then the FAF inbound. Previous lifetime, MRN, PGV, FCI were regular stops for me, all had only NDB approaches at one time.  The ADF is gone now, but that was a blast from the past.

• Like 1

Wind can gust from nowhere it seems like, especially if there’s a front moving in. Watch out for that. In the evenings and early mornings the biggest concern would be some ground fog depending on humidity. It’s relatively low today so shouldn’t be an issue. The courtesy car is sitting in front of the terminal, fueled up and ready for you - keys are hanging inside the fuel door Lynn or I will be happy to meet you out there if you need - we have a half an hour drive to the airport, so let us know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Ahh... The sweet spot
This guy knows how to get discounts

19 minutes ago, AGL Aviation said:

Wind can gust from nowhere it seems like, especially if there’s a front moving in. Watch out for that. In the evenings and early mornings the biggest concern would be some ground fog depending on humidity. It’s relatively low today so shouldn’t be an issue. The courtesy car is sitting in front of the terminal, fueled up and ready for you - keys are hanging inside the fuel door emoji846.png Lynn or I will be happy to meet you out there if you need - we have a half an hour drive to the airport, so let us know.

We should be fine as long as we have a car.  Thanks!

8 hours ago, rbridges said:

I'm supposed to be there for my annual tomorrow.  Of course cloud are starting to roll in tonight.  Waiting to see what forecast calls for after 8am, but 700' ceilings from 5am to 8am.  If I take off right after work from middle GA, I should be there around 7pm.  Sunset is around 730pm.  25000 ceilings changing to 3500 broken at 9pm.

My question is if it's a pretty easy airport in the evening.  It looks like mountains are to the west and a 3000' area to the south.  From what I can gather, I think it should be safe, but I'd kinda like to get some first hand opinions for an evening flight if we go that way.  I don't want to be "that guy."  :lol:

When you cross the NC line, wag your wings for Mom.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rbridges said:

I have flown the RNAV to mins into there for my annual a couple of years ago.  Assuming you are IFR proficient, it should be pretty straight forward.  There is nothing overly complicated about the approach into there.

Even if it was VMC, I would have the approach loaded since you are planning to arrive at dusk.

• Like 1

Flying from Perry you need to include GENOD fix in your flight plan.  Atlanta Center likes everything from the west to go through GENOD.  Plus it is a feeder route to the Rnav 3 at MRN.  You will fly over South Mtn which is 3000’ so pay attention to the approach numbers.  Lee

• Like 1

Also if coming in from West, try to wait to let down well East of the mountains from cruise. I had a great tailwind last time I flew in there but let down too early, caught the rotors off the lee side of the mountains. Worse turbulence I have ever experienced in a small plane. AGL made it all worth it though.

• Like 1

never a bad idea to look at Google Maps before flying into an unfamiliar airport.  In the case of KMRN you'll see all the terrain and how the runway lies--the south end is up on a spur that drops off  a bit on both sides and the end. Mountains are pretty far out to the West not a problem in the pattern but Atlanta will keep high as you cross them...and then it's a dump over to get down to make the airport.  Check Google Maps for a good look.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kpaul said:

I have flown the RNAV to mins into there for my annual a couple of years ago.  Assuming you are IFR proficient, it should be pretty straight forward.  There is nothing overly complicated about the approach into there.

Even if it was VMC, I would have the approach loaded since you are planning to arrive at dusk.

That's what I did. Rnav3 led me straight into the runway lights.

1 hour ago, laytonl said:

Flying from Perry you need to include GENOD fix in your flight plan.  Atlanta Center likes everything from the west to go through GENOD.  Plus it is a feeder route to the Rnav 3 at MRN.  You will fly over South Mtn which is 3000’ so pay attention to the approach numbers.  Lee

You nailed it. They amended my routing to include GENOD.