Here’s the twin I want

aviatoreb

I’m in for a partnership.  1/100th share would be $120k.  I’m based at KDPA just west of Chicago so if you would be willing to split the distance, we could keep in in Cleveland to avoid constant repositioning flights.  

One question though, will my lack of P-51 time hurt us for insurance?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Why not? maybe a version for power on high spin training with one left prop pointing forward and right prop pointing backward?
My feeling the designers either print it twice on paper by mistake or they draw with squint eyes :lol:

Hopefully the controls are connected...

What a weird wonderful WWII warbird.

I never understood the point though - what was the concept they were after when gluing two P51's together?  What was its mission meant to be and how was this duo meant to do it better than say a P51 or some standard twin whatever that mission was meant to be.

8 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I just went around with @ragedracer1977 about this. I think he choose wisely! His seats 6 with lots of leg room. That thing seats 2 and you can only wave at each other. 

cute. 

But that makes me wonder - must it be flown two pilots or can it be flown solo?

1 minute ago, aviatoreb said:

What a weird wonderful WWII warbird.

I never understood the point though - what was the concept they were after when gluing two P51's together?  What was its mission meant to be and how was this duo meant to do it better than say a P51 or some standard twin whatever that mission was meant to be.

If you believe what wikipedia has to say then this may shed some light and answer your questions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_F-82_Twin_Mustang

From the Wikipedia article:

"The XP-82 was to be powered by two Packard-built Rolls-Royce V-1650 Merlin engines. Initially, the left engine was a V-1650-23 with an additional gear in the propeller reduction box to allow the left propeller to turn opposite to the right propeller, which was driven by the more conventional V-1650-25. In this arrangement both propellers would turn upward as they approached the center wing, which in theory would have allowed better single-engine control. This proved not to be the case when the aircraft refused to become airborne during its first flight attempt."

Imagine having a combined 2,400 HP and the plane won't get off the ground.  This is why experimental test pilots earn their pay every day!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, whiskytango said:

From the Wikipedia article:

"The XP-82 was to be powered by two Packard-built Rolls-Royce V-1650 Merlin engines. Initially, the left engine was a V-1650-23 with an additional gear in the propeller reduction box to allow the left propeller to turn opposite to the right propeller, which was driven by the more conventional V-1650-25. In this arrangement both propellers would turn upward as they approached the center wing, which in theory would have allowed better single-engine control. This proved not to be the case when the aircraft refused to become airborne during its first flight attempt."

Imagine having a combined 2,400 HP and the plane won't get off the ground.  This is why experimental test pilots earn their pay every day!

Interesting story of why 2400hp wouldn't get it off the ground - and the fix.  

Just now, BKlott said:

Here is the twin that I have wanted since 1983. It was parked on the North side of Torrance Airport, behind the Hi-shear Rivet factory. As a Student Pilot,  I used to gaze at it, longingly, from the other side of the field.

8BC4CBB8-5C4B-4894-853F-2C67EC6224C6.jpeg

What is it?

3 hours ago, neilpilot said:

It's the same airplane in @BKlott's pic!   Very cool.

I remember when they were still being made and Flying magazine did an article on them.   I thought they were very cool, but their reputation was never that great.   It would be interesting if Thorp released drawings or kit info for experimental versions (like the T-18) but I don't think that was done.

4 hours ago, neilpilot said:

From the black and white add - it suggests excellent performance characteristics.

Besides rare, and looks great what makes this airplane sought after - not that those aren't enough.

Last year we flew to KDTS for a long weekend and stopped at KCTJ on the way back for a fuel stop. She was returning from Osh and we just got lucky. While we were there this aircraft happened to be there and we obviously stayed around for a good look. We were treated to a takeoff and I think she ended up at Space Coast Regional as the destination. 

7D1DD7C7-5265-4FF6-9909-516911451A33.jpeg

• Like 2