Leave a set of keys in the plane?

TGreen

30 minutes ago, TGreen said:

Do any of you leave an extra set of keys in the plane? When I am on a trip I sometimes think this might be a good idea so I am not stranded if I misplace my keys. 

I removed the key switch for that exact reason.

• Like 1

When I bought my C model, a previous owner had riveted a little metal container with a sliding lid that had the words Hide a Key on it onto the inside air box that is below the Voltage regulator.  I don't keep a key in it anymore but it is still there.

Looks almost exactly like this:

il_570xN.455834112_4ufe.jpg

4 hours ago, Jetrn said:

the previous owner zipped tied a spare key in the tail.

What I have been told by a few is zip typing a cabin key in the tail and hiding the ignition key somewhere inside the cabin. So you have to know both places. One for access ot the cabin, another to turn on the aircraft.

I have said I'd do this many times and then have not.

-Seth

Must be regional. Here in small town middle America, most planes live in unlocked hangars with the keys hanging on one of the instrument knobs, and unrestricted access onto the airports. 

I'm a little more cautious than that, but depending on my perception of the risk, I've left the keys in the plane, unlocked, on the ramp for short periods of time. 

On 9/9/2020 at 9:19 AM, rbridges said:

If someone had x-ray vision, I bet he'd see a lot of keys in the tail or by the battery box. Not saying I do, but not saying I don't. :lol:

If I knew that I would have taken your plane for a spin around Orlando this past weekend:ph34r::D  I have a screwdriver handy in my plane.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2020 at 6:04 PM, TGreen said:

Do any of you leave an extra set of keys in the plane? When I am on a trip I sometimes think this might be a good idea so I am not stranded if I misplace my keys. 

The CH751 key that opens my Winnebago's hatches also opens my M20E's baggage and passenger doors. It turns in the ignition but won't push on the starter. It also opens several file cabinets at my geology club. They sell on Ebay like 10 for $15.

I am considering duct taping one of these inside one of the wheel wells.

• Like 1