Nordo BE36 landing as I'm about to take off in KFIT

On 9/23/2020 at 9:36 AM, philiplane said:

It's not a dismissive comment at all. It's an admonition to always check the pattern, and final, and never ASSUME the other guy has a radio, has it on the right frequency, and cares to use it. The OP assumed there would be radio contact with other pilots in the pattern, and in doing so, nearly got hit by a landing aircraft. And he would have been in the wrong. The best person to trust with your life, is yourself.

You know, I really didn’t assume anything, I still looked and saw the other plane in time (even though the nose was past the threshold) and avoided a possible disaster. I listened to and communicated my every move on the ground, and was surprised to see someone on a fast aircraft turning what looked like a really low base to a short final. Yes, I should have looked longer, waiting at each sector with my eyes for a few more seconds before moving onto the next one. I will not make that mistake again. I learned to fly at 7B2 just few miles to the west, also an uncontrolled airfield that even uses the same frequency as KFIT. I’ve been cut by a plane taking the runway while I was on final and had to go around more than once. I have also seen planes in a busy pattern who were not communicating. It’s an act of “courage” to hope that the three planes waiting to take off will see you coming in on final before going onto the runaway because you have the right of way. I wrote about my experience in here because I thought it was a valid thing to do, as I learned so much in this and other forums from others who wrote about their own experiences.

I don’t post much on anonymous Internet forums because I see how quickly things turn into a series of misinterpretations and accusations. It’s ugly and I don’t want to put myself in those situations, there’s better things to do with one’s time. That being said I would be glad to have a conversation about flying any time. I love it, I do it to commute from home to work in and around every kind of airport in the country (mostly around NY class B), I do charity flights (really nice one into Boston Logan last week), and I often take those who I love the most with me in the plane. I wouldn’t do any of this if I wasn’t certain that everything under my control wasn’t as safe as humanly possible. 

Cheers!

Eduardo

• Like 5

On 9/23/2020 at 3:35 AM, DXB said:

If you can contact him in a nonaggressive way once you're no longer pissed, it might be a useful experience for both (or maybe just a useless confrontation - no way to know).

I second this idea from DXB. You're doing both of you a favor if you contact the other pilot and share your experience. If the other pilot thought he or she was broadcasting intentions, he or she may be more careful next time to make sure to be on the right frequency. If the other pilot thought there was no need to use the radio, your story might convince him or her that using a radio would be a worthwhile practice. And if it turns out the other pilot did everything right, it will still alert the pilot that when landing it's good to think about what you'd do if something (a plane or a deer) pulled onto the runway ahead of you.

If you do reach out to the other pilot, please share the results with the group. I'd love to learn more.

Edited by Flash
  • Like 1

On 9/26/2020 at 4:06 PM, Flash said:

I second this idea from DXB. You're doing both of you a favor if you contact the other pilot and share your experience. If the other pilot thought he or she was broadcasting intentions, he or she may be more careful next time to make sure to be on the right frequency. If the other pilot thought there was no need to use the radio, your story might convince him or her that using a radio would be a worthwhile practice. And if it turns out the other pilot did everything right, it will still alert the pilot that when landing it's good to think about what you'd do if something (a plane or a deer) pulled onto the runway ahead of you.

If you do reach out to the other pilot, please share the results with the group. I'd love to learn more.

Call him.  If communicating on the wrong frequency I would definitely want to know.  If he is a “dick” on the phone you will know who the “real dick” is.  I shake my head at the conduct of humans daily.  NOTHING surprises me anymore...and then I am surprised...again.

• Like 2