Max aft load advice

larrynimmo

Many times I’ve taken 3 adults and a child...today I plan on flying 4 adults...only have 30 gallons onboard...I am 2722 of 2740 for a 5 gallon trip each way...when I did my foreflight loading I am at max weight and at the back of the envelope (but still inside).  

Flight technique advice would be appreciated 

7F9A2BB8-F1F1-436C-BC65-1949C7AFD99F.png

Edited by larrynimmo
Add chart

It shouldn't be a big deal.  The envelope is to protect you from being outside the norm. 

That being said:

Longer T/O roll.  Make sure you have picked a point and speed on the runway for abort.  This is to ensure you are accelerating at the right rate and you don't have an engine, control, or other anomaly that is otherwise undetected.  I also use it as a last check for EGTs.

You'll probably need less nose up elevator trim than normal, especially at T/O.   You'll want to hold the nose down a bit longer.

You'll have more energy on decent and landing.  Use the same speeds you always use, don't deviate from that, just remember that it might take a bit longer to slow down.

Emergencies:

Should you have a CG problem remember that flaps create a nose down moment.  Power creates a nose up.   If you had a control malfunction with an aft CG and started to get out of the envelope...less power and more flaps will help you get your nose down.

If you have a go-around you'll really have to push.

Pre-flight talk about emergency egress.  You don't want panic.  Right front opens the door before landing, gets out.  Followed by right rear seat, then left rear seat.  Then you.

If you have manual gear with the Johnson bar.  Pre flight the rear passengers about the lock-block and not to hit it with their foot releasing the gear in flight (tell me how I know).  Make sure the area is clear in your pre-T/O check and decent check.

That being said you probably won't notice much...aside from more grins in the Mooney!

-JB

• Like 1

Many times I’ve taken 3 adults and a child...today I plan on flying 4 adults...only have 30 gallons onboard...I am 2722 of 2740 for a 5 gallon trip each way...when I did my foreflight loading I am at max weight and at the back of the envelope (but still inside).  

Flight technique advice would be appreciated 
7F9A2BB8-F1F1-436C-BC65-1949C7AFD99F.thumb.png.995ee39e454f6e0497f9b1a2a9bc6f57.png

I a not a CFI si take these words as hangar talk with little value.

If you are inside the envelope you are ok

However, be aware of some issues:

Take off roll: will be longer, so keep that in mind when you fly

Climb performance will be less. So don’t push it and Keep an eye on the temperatures! oil temp and CHT. After take off let the plane accelerate a bit so You get enough airflow.

Heat in the cabin! 4 adults in one cabin... lots of body heat. Take water with you. So you don’t get dehydrated... even on a short flight

The plane will feel heavier. So on landing be aware of this.

Look at your maneuvering speeds, stall speeds etc.

Enjoy your flight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

The only thing I might say differently than what you've read above is that you may need to change your speeds for the pattern and landing.  It all depends on how you fly your plane.  I have no idea what speeds you normally fly.

I adjust my speeds based on weight but I have no idea what you use. For ME (also a J), assuming you are only burning 5 gallons before the first landing, I would fly final at a target speed of 73 KIAS and about 85 on base.

As others have said, expect a longer takeoff and landing roll.  You'll have more energy to kill on landing not only because of the higher weight, but also because of the higher speed.

• Like 1

Your plane should fly like it always does at / near gross. BUT expect it to be a littler twitchier due to the aft CG. Less UP trim for takeoff and climb, more DOWN trim for cruise and descent.

My first very aft takeoff was eye opening! Had a few bobbles until getting a handle on it. Fortunately solo with lots of "cargo" so nithing to explain to anyone. Less UP trim in the runway, less of a pull to get airborne, much more Down yoke in initial climb, lots more Down trim, etc. By the time I landed, I had it all figured out with no issues, just remember that higher weight means higher speeds [easy for me, since I subtract speed for lower weights, just use the standard number withiut subtraction].

• Like 1

You’ll be fine, one thing I noticed with my E model that you’d start to round out for the flare and the horn would come on way earlier, like someone else said, add some speed.

The Acclaim, has a weak useful load, but flys faster with a heavy tail. 

Edited by Mooneymuscle56m
  • Like 1

You’ll just notice a little longer roll. And not as much nose heaviness on landing. Just be prepared to not over command the nose up on landing else you’ll hear the stall warning ⚠️ chirping  

Caution density altitude issues if any short runways or close in obstacles 

• Like 1

I can't say I've ever seen a noticeable difference when I've loaded the plane to max gross with luggage in the back and partial fuel.

C'mon, you can squeeze those extra 3 gallons of fuel in there! :) 

Make sure you brief your passengers on how to board the plane:

1. Pilot seated
  2. Slide forward pilot seat to flying position
  3. Slide forward passenger seat all the way 
  4. Rear left seated
  5. Rear right seated
  6. Slide back passenger seat to flying position
  7. Passenger seated

And backwards for unboarding.  This usually results in the fewest number of crushed kneecaps.

• Like 1

If you exceed the right side of the graph, don’t let go of the yoke, especially in the bumps. The plane will be unstable in pitch. If it starts to climb, it will increase the climb rate until it stalls, if it starts to descend it will keep descending until, the red line is exceeded.

You can still fly it, but not hands off.

• Like 1

I have the luxury of flying into and out of long strips, especially when I am fully loaded, which is a lot of the time.  And I have a turbo so making 100% HP is never an issue on takeoff.  So take what I say with that grain of salt. The only thing I notice that can catch by surprise when fully loaded and at one end or the other of the balance graph is that fall rate at the runway and response to the controls is a little different during the flare. These things are marked when the CG is near forward. Much less so when it is back because you have more authority to lift the nose. Yes, takeoff roll will be different, climb rate will be different, etc., etc., but the same thing happens when you transition from flying summer to winter.

Edited by jlunseth
  • Like 1

On 9/6/2020 at 7:07 AM, 1980Mooney said:

Just don't get so focused on weight and balance that you forget something on your takeoff checklist.  This would be a really bad day to forget to set your flaps for TO.....

Mooney's take off fine with no flaps. Not that important unless it is a short field.