Impeccable Timing? uAvionix AV-30

skydvrboy

So my attitude indicator is starting to fail intermittently and today I see that uAvionix has released their AV-30 as an STC'd primary attitude indicator.  Any reason why I shouldn't spring for this instead of finding a used or rebuilt AI? 

Currently I fly VFR only, but would like to proceed with my instrument rating.  If I understand the regs right, I will need a backup AI to legally fly IFR.  Could a second AV-30 replace the turn coordinator as the backup AI?  Would this be a good idea?

Also, I don't have an autopilot to interface with, so that won't be a concern, but I would like to get one in the future.  It seems from the information provided that this could be used to drive a digital autopilot.  Is this correct?

I recommend the RCA 2610-3 with the slip/skid, turn rate indicator, and backup battery to replace your turn coordinator. It's not exactly inexpensive, but it is a great instrument. I was grateful for it when my vacuum pump failed on a VFR flight that required constant attention to the instruments because of smoke/haze. I'm knee deep in a dual G5, GNC355, PMA450B installation and then will be starting my IFR. After the flight where my vacuum pump failed I can't imagine I would want to find myself in the soup without a solid backup AI. 

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/rca2610.php?clickkey=7105543

Oh, and if I hadn't already purchased the G5's and begun the installation I might have waited for the AV-30's to ship. The only advantage of the G5's is that if I end up going the GFC500 route I will already have the G5's in the panel. If I had an AP I would have been even more inclined to wait on the AV-30'S, I think they look like a great instrument. 

5 hours ago, skydvrboy said:

So my attitude indicator is starting to fail intermittently and today I see that uAvionix has released their AV-30 as an STC'd primary attitude indicator.  Any reason why I shouldn't spring for this instead of finding a used or rebuilt AI? 

Currently I fly VFR only, but would like to proceed with my instrument rating.  If I understand the regs right, I will need a backup AI to legally fly IFR.  Could a second AV-30 replace the turn coordinator as the backup AI?  Would this be a good idea?

Also, I don't have an autopilot to interface with, so that won't be a concern, but I would like to get one in the future.  It seems from the information provided that this could be used to drive a digital autopilot.  Is this correct?

I would at least consider the g5 as an option here to simply to think ahead.  In a year or two you may want to add that autopilot.  And, G5 will work with the the GFC500 as well as many other AP's.  This is coming from someone who did dual G5's almost two years ago and still waiting on the GFC 500

• Like 2

I have been concerned why the G5 install requires a gps connection.  I would prefer something that would work as a stand alone AI.  Is it just for a ground speed read out or is it part of the AI function?  In which case if the gps fails does the AI fail or have a performance degradation?   I really don’t need another ground speed read out.

15 hours ago, skydvrboy said:

Plan ahead and play it safe by going with Garmin. Have you looked at the GI275? TSO’d instrument with tremendous functionality.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, RLCarter said:

I’m in the same boat, AI is failing and had been considering the G5 but the AV-30 looks like it will work for me... As far as a backup AI needed to be legal for IFR I think your reading the reg wrong

How so?  Is a backup not needed or can the primary and backup not be two of the same device?

9 hours ago, wcb said:

I would at least consider the g5 as an option here to simply to think ahead.  In a year or two you may want to add that autopilot.  And, G5 will work with the the GFC500 as well as many other AP's.  This is coming from someone who did dual G5's almost two years ago and still waiting on the GFC 500

I am/was already considering the G5 before the AV-30 became available.  Based on reading other's experiences, I've always thought Garmin didn't play well with others.  Is that not the case for the G5.  Could it, for instance, integrate with the TruTrack should it ever be certified?  I definitely want to give myself the most integration options down the road for both an autopilot and a navigational GPS.

It play

13 minutes ago, skydvrboy said:

I am/was already considering the G5 before the AV-30 became available.  Based on reading other's experiences, I've always thought Garmin didn't play well with others.  Is that not the case for the G5.  Could it, for instance, integrate with the TruTrack should it ever be certified?  I definitely want to give myself the most integration options down the road for both an autopilot and a navigational GPS.

It plays with most more AP's (not that you would be adding an older STEC etc).  TruTrack I am not sure.  Garmin will be beating Trutrack for the F models to market.  On of our MS'rs has his plane at Garmin now getting the certs and I think by now simply waiting on the FAA (I am thinking less than 90 days on the F Model - But, then again who knows).

17 minutes ago, skydvrboy said:

How so?  Is a backup not needed or can the primary and backup not be two of the same device?

All you need is a single AI, a T&B or TC, plus a slip indicator.  You may replace the T&B or TC with another AI as long as it has a different power source than the primary AI.  A backup battery is considered a separate source.

If you install two GI275's, you can remove the rest of the entire 6 pack.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, skydvrboy said:

TruTrack is independent of the AI so it doesn't matter what AI you have.

On 9/4/2020 at 5:04 PM, wcb said:

It play

It plays with most more AP's (not that you would be adding an older STEC etc).  TruTrack I am not sure.  Garmin will be beating Trutrack for the F models to market.  On of our MS'rs has his plane at Garmin now getting the certs and I think by now simply waiting on the FAA (I am thinking less than 90 days on the F Model - But, then again who knows).

Do you know if the F model will include all vintage mooneys, or will separate testing be required on A-C/E models?

32 minutes ago, rbridges said:

Do you know if the F model will include all vintage mooneys, or will separate testing be required on A-C/E models?

The F/G are together and they are doing separate testing for the short bodies.  Rumor has it, short body testing is started, but it’s after mid bodies.

• Like 1