A National Treasure

Here is an article I penned a few years ago about one of our national treasures, Captain Harry Moyer, P40 pilot during WWll.

https://generalaviationnews.com/2018/08/16/it-came-back-to-me-quickly/

A little update on Captain Moyer...............this October Harry will celebrate his 100th...........WOW!  We are attempting to get the P40 here in San Luis so that Harry can once again fly it............and on his 100th birthday celebration!!  This is absolutely completely special!!

I'll produce another article on Harry after his historic birthday flight!

Thank you to our very special Captain Harry Moyer!

P.S. Harry just passed his 3rd class medical and continues to fly the Mooney [mostly accompanied these days by his son, also a Mooney pilot]/

• Like 14

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Captain Harry Moyer flying his Mooney todayon his very special 100th birthday celebration at KSBP.

I was honored to be invited to this most treasured and unique experience!

Thank you Captain Moyer.

FB09392B-D1BD-45FE-B108-4EAEF5D4D117.jpeg

487A10BD-3B84-40C4-8936-514885BCEACF.jpeg

0945424C-6913-4F90-8EBD-213CD8D58A21.jpeg

6266B211-43D2-4AE7-9650-1FD405FB7797.jpeg

• Like 8

9 hours ago, skydvrboy said:

I just ran across this news article with a video clip of his historic flight.  Amazing!  Anyone know if he or his son are on MooneySpace?  If so... Congrats Captain Moyer!

https://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/local/article246840002.html

Neither Harry or Ted are subscribed to MooneySpace.

Pretty Amazing!! He doesn't even have the Mooney step to help get down! 

I visited one of the historic Chinese strips of the flying tigers while I was in China with Mooney and saw a lot of Flying Tigers memorable photo's of the young American pilots and their planes. In China the young pilots were considered big heroes and still are revered today. Capt Moyer has been keen on keeping the special bond that formed during that time alive.

Here is an article from last year when Capt Moyer attended an event in Las Vegas to celebrate those memories: http://www.ecns.cn/news/feature/2020-11-02/detail-ihacnaey6712185-p2.shtml

While I was there, they were building a new concrete runway where the old dirt strip had been getting ready for an airshow. We were there to see if we wanted to fly in a new Acclaim in support of the show. Unfortunately the short runway in the bottom of the valley with utility wires across each end of the runway posed many hazards and I campaigned not to fly in our Mooney's. As it turned out, others show participants of similar sized aircraft followed suit and only LSA type of aircraft flew into their new runway; which was a disappointment to many officials. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Had some fun around L52 with Harry Moyer in his gorgeous E model...... go Harry!  

And yes, friends of Harry have submitted to Guinness for him being oldest flying solo pilot!  Let’s see.  Fun!

Greaser of a landing Harry!!  He flies that Mooney like he flew the P-40.......affirmative action! 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...