It was a good decision to pull the engine

N201MKTurbo

21 minutes ago, RLCarter said:

So what is? looks like a lit up bird

blob.png.b4339c2afb2e0fa0bf6d4d847e443919.png

Woo, is there going to be a line of people lined up outside my house to witness the biblical dove of peace! The recent arrivals really go for that stuff. OMG let’s keep this on the low down.

• Haha 1

Just now, carusoam said:

Ever hear this phrase before..?

Look like a cat that ate the canary...

I see the cat...

But just a faint image of the canary...

:)

-a-

It is the spirit of all the birds that Penny has ate over the years. We finally convinced her that we don’t cherish half dead birds for breakfast as much as she thinks we must. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, N201MKTurbo said:

It is the spirit of all the birds that Penny has ate over the years. We finally convinced her that we don’t cherish half dead birds for breakfast as much as she thinks we must. 

I heard something outside our front door several years back so I went to check it out, our cat had a Wingwing Dove pinned against the door that he had caught. As soon as I opened the door the injured bird came past me and was gaining altitude, needless to say we sent a few hours cleaning what looked like a crime scene and then several days nursing a bird back to where it could be released

Just now, RLCarter said:

I heard something outside our front door several years back so I went to check it out, our cat had a Wingwing Dove pinned against the door that he had caught. As soon as I opened the door the injured bird came past me and was gaining altitude, needless to say we sent a few hours cleaning what looked like a crime scene and then several days nursing a bird back to where it could be released

Penny doesn’t want us to nurse it back to health, she wants us to eat it! She doesn’t kill it because fresh bird is better than dead bird. Every cat knows that!

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Ours brought a complete squirrel, missing only its head . . . .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, RLCarter said:

There is a Disney adventure short from ~ 1952 called Big Cats. If you watch that about 10 times, you will understand all you need to know about cats. 

Cats are only concerned with 3 things, Sex, Food and sleep. In that order.

• Haha 1

Just now, FlyingDude said:

Your engine have rubber delimiters around the engine top whereas mine has a dog house style metal top baffle. How come? What are the pros/cons? Thanks

They changed from the doghouse in 66 or 67. The doghouse might have worked better, but it is a PITA to service.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

comprehensive history of the dog house

On September 28, 2020, I met the first doghouse I've ever seen in my life, during the prebuy. Other cessnas and pipers I've been intimate with in the past didn't have one. It's been there ever since.

Shortest history, huh?

• Haha 1

We have learned...

Jimmy has pictures...

You can modify the installation all you want...  somebody modified his carb heat installation...

But, without proper paperwork, it technically would not be legal... 

call it non-conforming...

When it gets discovered... you will need documents that the new design achieves or exceeds the goals of the old design...

Essentially, this is what STCs do... the FAA approves it... and records it...

Copies are in your log books...

Lots of effort goes into doing things the right way... Even when it is a perfect copy of a mod from another airplane...

A simple turn up the rpm mod... going from 2500 to 2700rpm... took a few flight tests to demonstrate affects on performance...   (rocket engineering)

Signed, and filed with the FAA...

Its like product development of the extreme variety... doing it for one plane is very expensive...

Doing it for 1000 planes spreads the costs out evenly...  

PP thoughts only, not an STC writer...

MS has a few STC writers around here...  find David / Sabremech... a great example of Product development, and STC writing... to improve cooling airflow in place of the dog house...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

So, I took my first cross country (IFR KCHD KSBA) with my new engine. The temps are starting to settle down and it is purring like a kitten. The oil consumption seems to be zero. Not the slightest leak. 

Glad to hear your flight went off without a hitch!