It was a good decision to pull the engine

N201MKTurbo

2 hours ago, carusoam said:

So that’s how the oil gets to the sump without the engine losing rigidity...

So much to be learned just through a few awesome pics!

Great Job, Rich!

Thanks for sharing them...

How about this guy’s color? :)

Best regards,

-a- 

Here's another view of how the oil drains from the case back into the sump.   This is the bottom of an O-320 with the sump and accessory case removed.   The level of the opening where the oil drains back out of the case is roughly the 6 qt level on an I/O-360, so anything very much above that gets caught in the windage of the crank and aerated so that it gets sucked out the breather.

20200130_114857.thumb.jpg.f9717d7d7903654a7db094afa19cec7c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/4/2020 at 6:18 PM, RobertGary1 said:

I check the pickup screen on my io-360 every year or so. It’s not that difficult. I think some are exaggerating it. Maybe if you’ve never worked on cars, boats, bikes etc before it may seem a big deal but stuff hard to access isn’t unusual for mechanics. 

Btw who built this engine?

-Robert  

It took me about 2 hrs to do it on my F the first time I performed this inspection, and about 20 minutes the last time. You do get better as you know how and what to do with what and when.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, EricJ said:

Here's another view of how the oil drains from the case back into the sump.   This is the bottom of an O-320 with the sump and accessory case removed.   The level of the opening where the oil drains back out of the case is roughly the 6 qt level on an I/O-360, so anything very much above that gets caught in the windage of the crank and aerated so that it gets sucked out the breather.

20200130_114857.thumb.jpg.f9717d7d7903654a7db094afa19cec7c.jpg

I’m jealous of your engine stand. I’ve been asking around the airport and nobody has one. Maybe I should ask Bash if I can borrow one.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I’m jealous of your engine stand. I’ve been asking around the airport and nobody has one. Maybe I should ask Bash if I can borrow one.

You'd have to ask Nick, the shop manager, and I think I know what the answer will be.  ;)

There's not really anything special about it.   The "mount" is a piece of 3/4" MDF with holes drilled in it to fit the hub and then some grade-8 hardware to bolt the whole thing to the stand.   It works.  ;)      It does make access and timing things easier.

Edited by EricJ

• 1 month later...

So, I sent my Prop and Governor to Warner Propeller in Tucson. They called and said they couldn't overhaul my governor and they would sell me a new one. I told them to just forget about the governor and give it back to me.

I called West Cost Governor Service https://westcoastgovernorservice.com/ and they sent me an exchange governor overnight for less than Warner wanted to overhaul mine and about 1/2 of what they wanted for a new one. They said to just send the core back whenever I get around to it.

When I picked up the propeller and governor, Warner gave me a bill for $450 for inspecting the governor! This is almost 1/2 the cost of an overhaul. I was a little pissed about that!

Today I called West Cost Governor Service and asked them if they minded if I sent the core back in a bag of parts. I was afraid they were going to charge me more for returning it that way. I told them what Warner charged me. He said that was ridiculous. He charges $185 for a teardown and inspection. He then blows me away and says that he will refund me the difference between the $185 and $450! I said "What? you don't owe me anything" he said that he hates to see his customers get ripped off.

BTW the governor I got from him looks beautiful.

So If you need any governor work, please consider:

West Cost Governor Service https://westcoastgovernorservice.com/

• Like 15

On 10/2/2020 at 8:16 PM, N201MKTurbo said:

These look great!

I’m glad I spent the extra money for Nickson’s machine shop.

Now I have more painting to do.

image.jpg

I haven’t been following your rebuild closely.  Are you not adding the oil relief groove above the centre cam bearing?  

Clarence

1 hour ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Tell me more?

Some crankcase overhaulers mill a small (1/32”) groove above the center camshaft bearing journal in one case half.  

This is supposed to relieve oil leaks from the backbone above the bearing.

Clarence

1 hour ago, M20Doc said:

Some crankcase overhaulers mill a small (1/32”) groove above the center camshaft bearing journal in one case half.  

This is supposed to relieve oil leaks from the backbone above the bearing.

Clarence

Is there a SB about that, or is this just rogue engineering?

There is a relief below the bearing. 

8 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Is there a SB about that, or is this just rogue engineering?

There is a relief below the bearing. 

I’ve never seen a Lycoming SB on it.  Our local engine guy showed me on cases he has overhauled in the US.  I’ll ask him for details.

Clarence

1 hour ago, M20Doc said:

I’ve never seen a Lycoming SB on it.  Our local engine guy showed me on cases he has overhauled in the US.  I’ll ask him for details.

Clarence

FWIW, that's about the only place on the parting line that it didn't leak. I told the case guy (Nickson's Machine Shop) it used to leak and he said it won't any more. He said he lapped the parting line so it is +- 0.0003" over the whole thing.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

So, I sent my Prop and Governor to Warner Propeller in Tucson. They called and said they couldn't overhaul my governor and they would sell me a new one. I told them to just forget about the governor and give it back to me.

I called West Cost Governor Service https://westcoastgovernorservice.com/ and they sent me an exchange governor overnight for less than Warner wanted to overhaul mine and about 1/2 of what they wanted for a new one. They said to just send the core back whenever I get around to it.

When I picked up the propeller and governor, Warner gave me a bill for $450 for inspecting the governor! This is almost 1/2 the cost of an overhaul. I was a little pissed about that!

Today I called West Cost Governor Service and asked them if they minded if I sent the core back in a bag of parts. I was afraid they were going to charge me more for returning it that way. I told them what Warner charged me. He said that was ridiculous. He charges $185 for a teardown and inspection. He then blows me away and says that he will refund me the difference between the $185 and $450! I said "What? you don't owe me anything" he said that he hates to see his customers get ripped off.

BTW the governor I got from him looks beautiful.

So If you need any governor work, please consider:

West Cost Governor Service https://westcoastgovernorservice.com/

Dan at West Coast is great. When I needed to get a different governor for my A3B6 conversion and he didn’t have the correct model in stock, he bought one on eBay and overhauled it and credited me for my core. We put it on the new engine and didn’t have to adjust anything. 

Skip

• Like 3