It was a good decision to pull the engine

N201MKTurbo

31 minutes ago, EricJ said:

Have you cut the filter yet?   Kinda curious to see what's in there.

There was nothing in the filter.

46 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Yikes!

Were you flying - was this a dead stick landing?

Anyway - glad you are here posting pictures.

Sincerely, Erik

I flew it to Santa Barbara just before I started the inspection. It worked fine.

Mike  Busch has a Savvy video on this exact situation:

Flakes are caught by the oil screen ( protecting the oil pump), filter stays clean!  Lycoming engines have a removable screen.  It's supposed to  be checked every oil change.  Most A&P's skip it.

Thanks for sharing my your experience.  We need to keep this top of mind.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Coach43 said:

Mike  Busch has a Savvy video on this exact situation:

Flakes are caught by the oil screen ( protecting the oil pump), filter stays clean!  Lycoming engines have a removable screen.  It's supposed to  be checked every oil change.  Most A&P's skip it.

Thanks for sharing my your experience.  We need to keep this top of mind.

Certainly enjoyed this video information. Thank you for sharing.

Here is what a screen looks like on my O-360 from my M20c...

I had my screen looked at last MSC annual.  I insisted that is be checked because most mechanics will not check it during annual or oil changes due to how difficult a job it is to do.  So in my last annual which has been done at a MSC for the last 3 annuals they found a bit of debris, some of it looks like what the OP had.  I asked for it to be sent to Blackstone for analysis and of course it was not sent.  Why would it be,  it was only a 10k annual.  I asked them if they checked it in the 2 prior annuals and because it is a MSC and a larger shop all I got was a shoulder shrug of "We don"t know."

So a few weeks ago for my first oil change since my MSC annual I had a friend and master A&P do it for me....took a long time and a lot of cursing....but he did it and you can see in the picture it was clean.

So my point of this is that those fragments may have been in the OP screen for a long time and the small debris on the bottom of the pan may have been there a long time from possible engine break in.  who knows.....

To the OP have you owned this plane a long time and when was the last time the oil screen was 100% checked without doubt? were those particles magnetic?  I read that carbon particles can show signs of magnetism and you can check to see if they are metal by trying to smash them with a hammer.....

It is such a pain in the ass to check that now that I know mine is clean I will just have it done in annuals from now on and not each oil change.  It is so hard to check that you should really be there for the inspection to keep everyone honest......

What are other people thoughts on these oil screens and how often to check and is there an easier way to do it?

IMG_1778.JPEG

• Like 1

I check the pickup screen on my io-360 every year or so. It’s not that difficult. I think some are exaggerating it. Maybe if you’ve never worked on cars, boats, bikes etc before it may seem a big deal but stuff hard to access isn’t unusual for mechanics. 

Btw who built this engine?

-Robert  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

I check the pickup screen on my io-360 every year or so. It’s not that difficult. I think some are exaggerating it. Maybe if you’ve never worked on cars, boats, bikes etc before it may seem a big deal but stuff hard to access isn’t unusual for mechanics. 

Btw who built this engine?

-Robert  

It is a factory reman that was torn down at 50 hours after a prop strike (before me). It was torn down by Mena Aircraft Engines.