I gotta big thumb

I tried a search earlier but mainly found threads discussing the Velcro style added PTT or an emergency mic button. I’ve got a 76 Ranger with PTT buttons on both yokes but they are the same tiny, little, red, wimpy, and sharp ones I seem to have been plagued with over multiple light aircraft. I want a real rounded button! Parts store searches only brought up the same fragile stuff. Has anyone here managed a source for a big ‘ol comfy mic button or momentary switch like the big iron has? Appreciate the wisdom in advance. Getting the GNC 355 and 106b combo installed early October, would enjoy having a new manly button to go with.

There is a thread around here where everyone posted what button they are using...

Some are just swapping out the plastic cap on a standard button...

Others have gone to the electronic parts supplier catalogs...

Mechanics are pretty good about sourcing proper parts if the legal issues are a concern...

The PTT buttton gets mentioned so many times... some skill with the search function helps...

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?q=PTT button&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

PP thoughts only not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

ALCO TPC13CO SPST-N/O 125VAC 1A Momentary Mini Push Switch

This may sound counterintuitive  based on the description of what you want however you might consider this switch.   Generally  in a Mooney  there is not much room to put 

the PTT switch.   That is true for me with  my Ovation yokes  and multiple switches on the pilot side.    I bought  several switches and looked them over with my mechanic (very experienced).   Some  had tactile feedback,  and this ALCO switch did not.   This is the one he recommended and given his experience I went with it.    He is very experience with Mooneys and his assessment was correct:

1.    The switch is very small  and overall size,  however there is sufficient thread length to mounted just about anywhere

2.     The button moves very easily  so that all you need to really do is touch it and makes connection

3.      It is responsive  and given its ease of motion does not cause finger fatigue

4.      It can be mounted on the yoke  directly under your left index finger or  anywhere else it is needed

5.     He  to told me he has been mounting Alco switches for years and they just continue to work without problems

6.     10 of them can be bought on eBay for $12.95 for the lot 10:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ALCO-TPC13CO-SPST-N-O-125VAC-1A-Momentary-Mini-Push-Switch-New-QTY-10/163516664522?hash=item26125a4aca:g:mUQAAOSw5F9fGhkK

7.      I have been using it now for over a year and am  very happy with the result

8.       The switch works so seamlessly,  all you need to do is place your finger over the spot where the switch is,  no fatigue,  no switch indentation in your fingertip,  and no pain

ALCO switch.jpg

I appreciate the info on the ALCO switch, that looks about the best option so far. My PTT buttons are internal on both yokes. Earlier today I saw what I REALLY wanted at MicroCenter. They had multi colored buttons for use in building an arcade cabinet, remember those big ones you could smash on all day long, day after day, quarter after quarter? Unfortunately the mounting hole is bigger than the whole side of my yoke but so cool...

7 minutes ago, Jakes Simmons said:

I appreciate the info on the ALCO switch, that looks about the best option so far. My PTT buttons are internal on both yokes. Earlier today I saw what I REALLY wanted at MicroCenter. They had multi colored buttons for use in building an arcade cabinet, remember those big ones you could smash on all day long, day after day, quarter after quarter? Unfortunately the mounting hole is bigger than the whole side of my yoke but so cool...

Ask 'em if they have any smaller buttons . . . . And point at the big ones you prefer.

2 hours ago, Jakes Simmons said:

Am I dating my age when I think of the flipper buttons on a pinball machine? :)