Mooney Factory Update

Mooney in Oz

M=A,

Splits don’t usually do much for the value of the company, but...

TSLA and AAPL are in some rare air and climbing... (these are a constant topic around here) and they had the splits this week.

Apparently something related to the pandemic/recession is keeping the interest rates low...

According to the Fed. Reserve chairman... they aren’t thinking about thinking about raising interest rates for some time like 18 months out...

There are plenty of companies on the same trajectory...

It would be interesting to know if this same interest rate party spurs the purchase of more Mooneys...  either new or pre-flown would be good...

Best regards,

-a-

22 minutes ago, chriscalandro said:

So I’m sure there’s a huge market for upgrades to the older models, but something tells me my old C won’t be part of the revitalization. 

Why would that be?

You have upgraded your plane in many ways... no small feat.

Is their disbelief the factory would sell something of value to an M20C owner?

Or the factory doesn’t want to sell something to an M20C owner?

Lets say the factory produces some new legs that improve the UL of the latest ovation...

Yay for the O guys...

But, what about the people with M20Cs?  Or older Os?

M20Cs aren’t very low cost, they aren’t free to operate...

Their owners are intelligent people with enough money to get this far...

What company wouldn’t be interested in selling an improvement for their oldest models?

Ford and GM, sometimes... they partner with other companies when they do it...

There is always a way...

The cool thing about being a factory with good records...

When they write an STC for one plane...they can write it for several at the same time... it might be two different documents, tracking through the same FAA...

STC Mystery isn’t that big of a hidden secret...

Its not always a giant cost...

If the factory put some effort in... they could have a Dynon package that would make it identical to what we see around here...

But, less cost...

Same bits and pieces, same layout, higher quality in terms of installation issues...

Sounds like a win-win...

Some people enjoy the work of installing avionics...so having the factory do the job at a lower cost for them won’t be a benefit...

Of the four owners that have Dynon systems around MS...
would there be a benefit if they were installed in the same place at the same time?

Leave that to the factory to answer yes, and give the details of how it can get done... :)

It probably doesn’t take that much effort to set everything up, then ship it to where the plane is...

Somebody there has got to be really good at this job...

The internet technology can be really helpful for such a modern project...

Best regards,

-a-

8 hours ago, eman1200 said:

no matter what mooney does in the future, is there anyone here on mooneyspace who's in the market for a new plane?  any NEW plane?  anyone?  just curious.

It doesn't have to be a "new" plane, but a factory refurbished/certified plane would generate interest from many of the new folks who join here every month looking to buy their first Mooney.

We were fortunate to be on a Zoom call with Jonny at the West Coast Mooney Club Conference and Retreat that Michael set up. I think everyone in the room was impressed, he was very excited and also very frank about the challenges moving forward. One thing he mentioned was the possibility of the factory refurbishing old planes. 

He also talked about somewhere down the line that the Chinese still want to build and sell Mooneys in China. That would be a very good thing. For a comparison from a vehicle standpoint, if GM didn't have the Buick market in China then Buick would go away, the US market just won't support the brand. Our Buick store only sells around 10 or so a month, a drop compared to the number of GMC's the same store sells each month. Similarly, the Chinese market could supply a lifeline to the Mooney brand if/when the time comes that they start producing planes again. For now however, it sounds like a focus on parts and service to get healthy. 

In the auto industry we say that Sales sells the first car but Service sells all the rest. I see some good decisions being made and hope it bodes well for Mooney. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, kortopates said:

Small point but the never the less,  the factory won't need an STC, just a Mooney drawing. Only a 3rd party like Rocket needs a STC. 

Exactly Paul. Now, here is some food for your speculation brain lobes,  What would it take to get lets say a J refurbished to a 0 time airframe by the factory besides more than a bucket of cash? I know you know the answer as does the factory :) Just sayin..

1 hour ago, mike_elliott said:

Exactly Paul. Now, here is some food for your speculation brain lobes,  What would it take to get lets say a J refurbished to a 0 time airframe by the factory besides more than a bucket of cash? I know you know the answer as does the factory :) Just sayin..

Probably not buckets but barrels and barrels of cash ;)

2 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

Don’t need the factory for this.  I pretty much did this with my J between Henry Weber MSE and SureFlight.  Engine, paint, interior, Garmin glass.  Still buckets of cash though...

14 minutes ago, Rmag said:

Don’t need the factory for this.  I pretty much did this with my J between Henry Weber MSE and SureFlight.  Engine, paint, interior, Garmin glass.  Still buckets of cash though...

Could you "Zero" time the airframe and issue a new Airframe logbook? What you did is beautiful work!

35 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

He couldn’t.  But I wouldn’t be surprised if the factory could.   

It certainly can be done, and is being done elsewhere with Cessna Caravan's, I believe. 

If the factory was turning out refurbished, 0 time, 201's, I think there would be a market.

• Like 5

and the factory will have to produce new planes to keep the PC and TC alive. In what form remains to be seen as are all the details of ownership, roadmaps, etc. I am sure as funding is in place, programs will be rolled out and made public. We are all so appreciative that the Company is not so "defunded" that survival is not even an option at this point.

• Like 2

Nice to finally be able to see the result of lots of hard work by a consortium of Mooney owners including our own Jan Maxwell and Soeedo wearing DMax.  Expect great things. It is nice to finally be able to share the great news.

https://www.flyingmag.com/story/aircraft/mooney-reveals-new-ownership/

• Like 4

On 9/2/2020 at 6:55 PM, chinoguym20 said:

This is great news for the Kerrville employees (and hopefully future employees).  As we all know, it’s a very tall order, but hopefully the new owners have deep enough pockets for the investment needed and can make a positive return on their investment one day.  I wonder if they will work on an entry level like the M10?

I actually wish the M10 would have come to market. A true 2+1 that is in the 250K range that could do at least 140-160 knots would accomplished a lot of missions. While it is outside my budget, their are real people who buy 172s and Archers new from the factories.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AerostarDriver said:

I actually wish the M10 would have come to market. A true 2+1 that is in the 250K range that could do at least 140-160 knots would accomplished a lot of missions. While it is outside my budget, their are real people who buy 172s and Archers new from the factories.  

If it could have met those specs it probably would have come to market.