Mooney Factory Update

Mooney in Oz

I'll just say that thanks to being able to do business with large and profitable businesses in several African countries, I can afford to fly a nice Mooney. There are a number of places where Mooneys could be built in Africa and a nice market to capture there as well. 

If Jonathan needs someone to go sort this out in Africa, tell him to give me a call.

• Like 6

Just now, gsxrpilot said:

I'll just say that thanks to being able to do business with large and profitable businesses in several African countries, I can afford to fly a nice Mooney. There are a number of places where Mooneys could be built in Africa and a nice market to capture there as well. 

If Jonathan needs someone to go sort this out in Africa, tell him to give me a call.

I think this part of the Geography still falls in Veronica's wheelhouse, not Jonathans for now. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

are you assuming I am a leftist? Man you dont know me at all. I simply like best in class products like Mooney, 0-60 in 2.6 secs, NO range anxiety, and free market capitalism along with school choice.

Shame on your ad homen leftist attack.

No, Not what I am assuming.  Best in class (class being electric cars) I 100% agree.  No need to stat me.  (Although Porsche Taycon(sp) is fast and more aesthetically pleasing to my eye than Tesla...but range is an issue). I love competition, but KNOW that ICE hate is “a thing” as is the future of transportation AND politics are definitely driving decisions that impact urban planning.  I stand by my statements and they are not directed at you Mike, but are merely a counterpoint that I will roll as often as you choose to “roll” fanboy mode. :)

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Again, I'm not sure if this is directed at me, but I'm not saying there aren't places it couldn't be built. I am merely suggesting that, as a whole, Africa lacks the same robust skilled labor market as many other places, lacks the necessary infrastructure in many places, and is limited in the areas that have the places to handle it.

Just now, LevelWing said:

I am merely suggesting that, as a whole, Africa lacks the same robust skilled labor market as many other places, lacks the necessary infrastructure in many places, and is limited in the areas that have the places to handle it.

The same thing could be said for the US or any other place in the world. I have many years of first hand experience doing business in Africa. I lived there as a kid and have traveled to many countries in Africa on business countless times. Mooney doesn't need to set up manufacturing in every African country and city. They'd need one place. And there are quite a few good options.

• Like 5

Just now, gsxrpilot said:

The same thing could be said for the US or any other place in the world. I have many years of first hand experience doing business in Africa. I lived there as a kid and have traveled to many countries in Africa on business countless times. Mooney doesn't need to set up manufacturing in every African country and city. They'd need one place. And there are quite a few good options.

Paul, I disagree that the same could be said for the U.S. I don't think that's a direct or even fair comparison. Yes, there are other parts of the world that also lack the proper infrastructure but the statement pertained to opening manufacturing facilities in China and Africa. I do agree, however, that they only need one place and there are a few options to choose from. And it would be a fun experience to ferry your new Mooney back home (I realize that's not the likely method). :) 

45 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

are you assuming I am a leftist? Man you dont know me at all. I simply like best in class products like Mooney, 0-60 in 2.6 secs, NO range anxiety, and free market capitalism along with school choice.

Shame on your ad homen leftist attack.

If it ain't a 57 Chevy truck I guess it is a lefty car.

Now you are speaking just crazy far-left talk.  No person needs to go 0-60 faster than 2.7sec.  If you want to go 2.6 then move to Venezuela.

Ford, Chevy, Pontiac, etc, great - but Tesla is also very much an American designed and build vehicle.  Its just new.  And people are buying them.  Approval of what it is aside, people are buying them and their stock is soaring.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Missile=Awesome said:

No, Not what I am assuming.  Best in class (class being electric cars) I 100% agree.  No need to stat me.  (Although Porsche Taycon(sp) is fast and more aesthetically pleasing to my eye than Tesla...but range is an issue). I love competition, but KNOW that ICE hate is “a thing” as is the future of transportation AND politics are definitely driving decisions that impact urban planning.  I stand by my statements and they are not directed at you Mike, but are merely a counterpoint that I will roll as often as you choose to “roll” fanboy mode. :)

Mooney in Texas only was great in the 1960s and 1970s, but by today, it has died.

So we either let it stay dead or try something else.  The business does not need to be steeped in a view through a political lens.  Let's just celebrate that an entrepreneurial group has an idea, some energy and some funding to give it a go.  Let's see!  I will cheer for this effort and I expect it might even work!

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Very well said. Seeing innovative startups from a number of countries in Africa tells me the great potential they have. 

• Like 1

Speaking of jet packs - and I know why it was raised -

Jet pack sighting over LAX this week.  Someone is going to be in big do-doo with the FAA if they can catch this ironman.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/01/us/american-airlines-jet-pack-LAX.html

or maybe its James Bond - or maybe its that guy from the 1984 Olympics in....LA.

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Missile=Awesome said:

No, Not what I am assuming.  Best in class (class being eleI have been ctric cars) I 100% agree.  No need to stat me.  (Although Porsche Taycon(sp) is fast and more aesthetically pleasing to my eye than Tesla...but range is an issue). I love competition, but KNOW that ICE hate is “a thing” as is the future of transportation AND politics are definitely driving decisions that impact urban planning.  I stand by my statements and they are not directed at you Mike, but are merely a counterpoint that I will roll as often as you choose to “roll” fanboy mode. :)

I have been coal rolled a couple of times by some jacked up pickup trucks in the Tesla, but simply pushed down on the accelerator and left them a few blocks behind wondering "how the h3ll did that thing go that fast" and have noticed some EV haters parking in the Tesla supercharging spots in Brunswick GA last Friday when returning from training the wife of a M20V owner in Charleston, SC (no range anxiety at all but could have completed the trip possiblty 40 min quicker if I had a pee bottle in an ICE vehicle that had 450 mi of range). I havent observed any ICE haters blocking gas pumps ever, however. The hate is very one sided, much like a lot of our society now days.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

I'm really intrigued by his comment about Africa.  It seems like a great thinking outside of the box solution to the labor problem and something that would add needed value and jobs.  Africa seems like it has so much untapped potential.  

• Like 1

Just now, SantosDumont said:

I'm really intrigued by his comment about Africa.  It seems like a great thinking outside of the box solution to the labor problem and something that would add needed value and jobs.  Africa seems like it has so much untapped potential.  

I agree that Africa has a lot of untapped potential. It would require finding a location that is suitable from not just a manufacturing standpoint, including the logistics infrastructure and the ability to train and educate a workforce, but a country that is stable both politically, economically, and from a security standpoint. South Africa is the biggest one that comes to mind. Again, I have not argued that there are no places in Africa that could do this, I am merely saying they are limited.

I assume the planes would be built in said location and then assembled at their final destination. There are quite a few places in Africa that I would not want to have an emergency landing.

3 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

I have been biting my tongue about the GW increase since before I was in Bathurst in 18 and met you Victor, but NDA prevented me all this time from saying anything about it. Now that Jonny has put it in the public domain, this could be a real breath of fresh air into Mooney. I have seen the prototype parts mounted on the wing and nose to allow LB's 3768# and it can be a retrofit. Ill let Mooney fill in the details as it is their place. Lets just hope they push the ball over the finish line.

Problems sales have identified with Mooney

1) GW .... this would check that box

2) No parachute .. Autoland would check that box

3) Arrogant competitors ... box checked

4) Better sales/delivery experience ...still needs work

5) Price...lower than competition, box checked.

6) better presence at events (darned we came close a couple of years ago to having one in Australia but Jeff Magnus was "shot down" on the idea)

3 years ago Lance Phillips tried to implement a customer advisory board, I am glad Jonny now sees the need.

Great list except for 2.  Autoland requires auto throttles and brakes = very expensive.  The chute is much cheaper solution to this concern.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SantosDumont said:

I'm not advocating for moving Mooney operations out of Kerrville and relocating to Cape Town. And I don't think Veronica is thinking that way either. But rather setting up a manufacturing facility somewhere in Africa that could build and sell airplanes into the African, European, Mid-Eastern markets. Africa is a huge place and a very large market. Distances are vast and travel by air is most often the best/cheapest way to go. While bush planes are useful for some situations, a Mooney is perfect for connecting larger towns and cities of which there are thousands.

This is not political and not directed at either party (or maybe directed at both). But of the countless nights I've spent in business hotels in cities all over Africa, I'm always disappointed that at breakfast, typically the only other American's I see are in uniform. While the 20 or 30 Asian's in the room are in business suits, or carrying hard hats, with rolls of architectural blue prints, etc. There is so much opportunity where we are not participating. I have personally brought millions of $ out of Africa back to the US. And not just South Africa, but Ethiopia, Kenya, Nigeria, Uganda, Egypt, etc. I'd like to see us doing more of that rather than thinking it's only a place that needs policing.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, mike_elliott said:

I have been coal rolled a couple of times by some jacked up pickup trucks in the Tesla, but simply pushed down on the accelerator and left them a few blocks behind wondering "how the h3ll did that thing go that fast" and have noticed some EV haters parking in the Tesla supercharging spots in Brunswick GA last Friday when returning from training the wife of a M20V owner in Charleston, SC (no range anxiety at all but could have completed the trip possiblty 40 min quicker if I had a pee bottle in an ICE vehicle that had 450 mi of range). I havent observed any ICE haters blocking gas pumps ever, however. The hate is very one sided, much like a lot of our society now days.

NOPE.

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

Great list except for 2.  Autoland requires auto throttles and brakes = very expensive.  The chute is much cheaper solution to this concern.

It would require a servo on the MP which currently is not there. I am not sure it would require brakes to get from point A to a runway. I dont know if the equipped TBM's and Cirrus Jets have autobrakes. Chutes only advantage is in flight breakups, something that is rare in a Mooney (once in a L5 TS I believe)

3 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

. Chutes only advantage is in flight breakups, something that is rare in a Mooney (once in a L5 TS I believe)

This might be true for you or me, but not for the marketing department at Cirrus. 

The real advantage is when the wife asks, "what about if the engine quits?"

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Andy95W said:

This might be true for you or me, but not for the marketing department at Cirrus. 

The real advantage is when the wife asks, "what about if the engine quits?"

"lets pull this here red handle and hope like h3ll we land somewhere safe, not in a pond or in a tree, we will be along for whatever may come our way" vs "lets pick a landing spot and set this guy down"

Granted, below 1K feet all bets are off for both.

Your right, the main advantage is for the marketing dept at Cirrus and the Kitchen approval process

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

It would require a servo on the MP which currently is not there. I am not sure it would require brakes to get from point A to a runway. I dont know if the equipped TBM's and Cirrus Jets have autobrakes. Chutes only advantage is in flight breakups, something that is rare in a Mooney (once in a L5 TS I believe)

The Piper M600 that is equipped with Garmin Autoland does have autobrakes that the Garmin Autoland applies.

• Like 1