I’ll pay a Pro Rata share of Gas and Half a Burger

Trenta

Hi All,

I am very encouraged to see how active Mooneyspace is! This is my first post on the forum and hopefully it will be one of many to come. 

I am 27 years old at 225 hours and in the market for my first airplane purchase. Based on my research when it comes to economy and speed for 2 people and a small dog in a certified airplane there doesn’t seem to be a better option than a Pre-J Mooney. That all being said I’m a larger guy (6’1” 240lbs w/ wide shoulders) and am a little nervous about Cabin space for some longer X Countries. 

So here is the offer...Calling any Pre-J Mooney owners in the PDX area or even better KVUO (Pearson Airfield) that are open to taking me up for a short flight to see what performance is really like and what experience of Mooney Flying is really about. I’ll compensate you if are properly certified for commercial flight operations or pay my prorated share for the flight time and lunch/dinner (In to be in accordance with FAR 61.113)

Any takers? Or does anyone have contacts that aren’t active in the forum in the PDX area with a Vintage Mooney that I could connect with?

Edited by Trenta
Updated to highlight my offer to be in accordance with FAR 61.113

5 hours ago, Trenta said:

That all being said I’m a larger guy (6’1” 240lbs w/ wide shoulders) and am a little nervous about Cabin space for some longer X Countries. 

Fit wont be a problem.  I am about your size and fit easily in my F.  For shoulder width, it helps if the person next to you has their seat positioned  slightly different than you.  

I flew my wife, daughter and 60lb dog from Florida to Montana. I have also done three trips into Oshkosh with a weeks camping gear for two.  You shouldn't have an issue.

• Thanks 1

Welcome aboard Trent!

You came to the right place.

The Mooney is perfect for you... because Al Mooney wasn’t a shrimp... :)

Many people start with the short body Mooneys... great economics from an owner point of view...

Look around for M20B, C, D, and Es...

Fs, and Gs, are equally talented as the short bodies... they just get extra space for the back seaters...

I flew an M20C for a decade...

Note: Consider updating your thread title... shared costs of flying still apply...  don’t want to advertise going around the FARs... it’s a generous thought otherwise...  :)

There is an edit button for that...

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, kpaul said:

Fit wont be a problem.  I am about your size and fit easily in my F.  For shoulder width, it helps if the person next to you has their seat positioned  slightly different than you.  

I flew my wife, daughter and 60lb dog from Florida to Montana. I have also done three trips into Oshkosh with a weeks camping gear for two.  You shouldn't have an issue.

That is very encouraging to hear. In the older cessnas for x country I would just have the right seat all the way back on the track and there was plenty of room. My Girlfriend is a lot smaller than me (Thank god) so would think it would be tough for it to be a real issue for us even if we don’t stagger the seats. 

48 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Welcome aboard Trent!

You came to the right place.

The Mooney is perfect for you... because Al Mooney wasn’t a shrimp... :)

Many people start with the short body Mooneys... great economics from an owner point of view...

Look around for M20B, C, D, and Es...

Fs, and Gs, are equally talented as the short bodies... they just get extra space for the back seaters...

I flew an M20C for a decade...

Note: Consider updating your thread title... shared costs of flying still apply...  don’t want to advertise going around the FARs... it’s a generous thought otherwise...  :)

There is an edit button for that...

Best regards,

-a-

Yeah I think that is what I am thinking. My mission is a lot of hundred dollar hand burgers, weekend camping trips to paved strips or very well manicured/maintained grass strips, and a trip from the Pacific Northwest to So Cal a little less than once a month. This seems to be checking all of my boxes. 

My only question now is the age old M20c vs. M20E discussion. I have done a lot of research on the pros and cons and differences. Based on my mission what do you think makes the most sense? I’m flip flopping almost daily on which way to lean.

-Trent

The answer to the C vs E question...

Depends on how much capital you have to deploy for this project...

The fuel injection is nice, but comes with a cost...

Many M20Cs have achieved forever-plane status around here...

There is even an M20B with a glass panel posted around here somewhere...

When looking at retirement... the M20E with the highest fuel efficiency really makes sense...

The extra 20hp, is all about short T/O runs, and good climb rates... not a useable speed mod...

Best regards,

-a-

32 minutes ago, Trenta said:

That is very encouraging to hear. In the older cessnas for x country I would just have the right seat all the way back on the track and there was plenty of room. My Girlfriend is a lot smaller than me (Thank god) so would think it would be tough for it to be a real issue for us even if we don’t stagger the seats. 

When my wife and I fly together, she usually prefers to sit in the back seat because she says she can see better.  She's only 5'2" and even with a 4" cushion to sit on she can't see a lot over the nose.  From the back seat in our J she can see quite a bit more.  Being back there she can also spread out a bit more.  And it helps move the CG aft which helps with more speed.

17 minutes ago, carusoam said:

The answer to the C vs E question...

Depends on how much capital you have to deploy for this project...

The fuel injection is nice, but comes with a cost...

Many M20Cs have achieved forever-plane status around here...

There is even an M20B with a glass panel posted around here somewhere...

When looking at retirement... the M20E with the highest fuel efficiency really makes sense...

The extra 20hp, is all about short T/O runs, and good climb rates... not a useable speed mod...

Best regards,

-a-

Very helpful. The logical part of me says that the extra 20 hp is only really going to save me like 15 mins on my 600-750nm long missions. And it would be saving 10k in acquisition costs. So with your validation and a cool head I think I’m going to start the process of having some buying conversations for an M20c.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bob - S50 said:

When my wife and I fly together, she usually prefers to sit in the back seat because she says she can see better.  She's only 5'2" and even with a 4" cushion to sit on she can't see a lot over the nose.  From the back seat in our J she can see quite a bit more.  Being back there she can also spread out a bit more.  And it helps move the CG aft which helps with more speed.

Oh yes interesting on the back seat. I think she would like that idea too to spread out when she is reading. Also couple extra knots wouldn’t hurt.

6 hours ago, Trenta said:

Very helpful. The logical part of me says that the extra 20 hp is only really going to save me like 15 mins on my 600-750nm long missions. And it would be saving 10k in acquisition costs. So with your validation and a cool head I think I’m going to start the process of having some buying conversations for an M20c.

I've been loving my C since 2007 . . . . It's a great ride, very versatile.

10 hours ago, Trenta said:

In cruise, there's not much difference. With the amount of speed mods out on the fleet, 50-years of rigging and mis-rigging, weight differences, differing schools of thought on engine operating principals means they're just about the same plane. A fat E with a tired engine and poor rigging will do the same speed as a cleanly-modified C with a meticulous owner. You should be shopping for a "short body" (C or E) with equipment you want. I'd ignore the engine if you found one with the avionics you'd like. IE I'd take a C with an AP and GPS over a plane-jane E and vice versa.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, Raptor05121 said:

In cruise, there's not much difference. With the amount of speed mods out on the fleet, 50-years of rigging and mis-rigging, weight differences, differing schools of thought on engine operating principals means they're just about the same plane. A fat E with a tired engine and poor rigging will do the same speed as a cleanly-modified C with a meticulous owner. You should be shopping for a "short body" (C or E) with equipment you want. I'd ignore the engine if you found one with the avionics you'd like. IE I'd take a C with an AP and GPS over a plane-jane E and vice versa.

Everything Alex says here! You could even include the "D" in your search if you come across them. I think it is down to just a couple still flying that are original fixed gear/prop, all the rest were converted to retract and constant speed prop essentially making them a "C". Start a list of all the C, D, E, and even throw in the F's and buy the best equipped one you can afford.

• Like 1

This is Mark from YouTube at Twin Oaks.  Send me an email and we will try and find a time to meet.  Not sure if my wife wants me flying with someone with the COVID but you can sit in the plane and I can share my thoughts.  My hangar neighbor has an M20C as well.

Mark

1 minute ago, Mark M20B said:

This is Mark from YouTube at Twin Oaks.  Send me an email and we will try and find a time to meet.  Not sure if my wife wants me flying with someone with the COVID but you can sit in the plane and I can share my thoughts.  My hangar neighbor has an M20C as well.

Mark

Thank you for the offer! I have sent you a PM.

I have a J and will be in Troutdale this coming weekend. I probably won’t have time to get lunch but if you wanted to sit in it and go for a flight let me know. The F and J are the same cabin so maybe you want pre F for a short body? I think the front seats in a J and E are the same width. But someone can correct me if I’m wrong.

I fly with 4 adults often and can still get 5 hours of endurance if fuel on board. Three people with luggage. I had an 8.2 hour flight last month and landed with 9.9 gallons of fuel on board. God Bless Al Mooney!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3