SOLD - 1967 M20F - ModWorks Trophy 221 - $59,500

SantosDumont

Hey guys,

I've decided to list N221HP for sale with Las Vegas Aircraft Sales.

With COVID my flying mission has disappeared.  I used to fly 2-3 times per week and now the average since March has been close to 0.

All of my work has moved online, no customers actually want me to physically show up... it doesn't look like that will change until there is a vaccine.

I'm building a RV-14 in the garage and had planned to keep the Mooney until the build was complete, but without a mission, it really doesn't make sense to pay for the airplane to just sit in the hangar, when I could redirect those funds into making more progress on the RV-14.

This plane is a ModWorks Trophy 221... which has pretty much all the mods to be a J, and a 210 HP TCM IO-360-ES. 

The logbooks are complete since manufacture.

I will say that my favorite feature of this plane besides the Johnson bar has been the 93 GAL tanks, which give you a lot of options when you can hold 10 hours of fuel.

This is a great plane for anyone with a serious XC mission.  On that note it is unique in that it's traveled from the US to South America and from the US to Europe to Australia and back.

For all the details of the mods, logbooks, pictures, etc call Chris Benham at the number below or click the Las Vegas Aircraft Sales link above.  

Christopher Benham
Las Vegas Aircraft Sales, LLC
702-540-5478

IMG_7266.JPG

n221hp.png

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Trenta said:

Wow I remember this plane from Flight Chops! I just watched the episode last night. I’m sad to hear that you have to let it go. 

I don’t really see it as letting it go as much as passing the torch. Although I’m sure I’ll get a case of the feels when I hand the keys over to the next owner. 

I actually credit Steve from Flight Chops with inspiring me to start my own RV-14 build... I figured if he could do it, why not me?!

Our stories in Aviation really do come full circle sometimes. 

• Like 1

I don't think many will disagree that the Lycoming nickel cylinders are superior to most Continental cylinders.  With angle valve Lycomings, I think the only source is the factory, so the cylinder kit prices are high.  But there's only 4.  Bottom ends on both engines are supposed to be quite durable.  The fuel injection systems on Continentals is superior to the Bendix on the Lycomings.  Lycoming starter is much cheaper and simpler.

Pluses and minuses to both.

The 221 conversion is neat.  Not sure how many they did.  Also not sure it it's really superior in any tangible way to a good F.  But at this price point, with the nicely updated avionics, etc, etc, it's priced like a good F, so if I was shopping in that space, I'd seriously consider this.

Discount for the flame job?  ;)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, geoffb said:

Discount for the flame job?  ;)

People have really strong opinions about the flames.  I bought the plane because it was the first plane I found with the equipment that met my mission profile that wasn't snatched up before I could actually see it in person.  A few Mooneys I got a call back on with an appointment to see the plane on the weekend saying sorry someone already bought it.  So I think the flames actually helped me a bit there and scared off some potential buyers.  At first I was a bit embarrassed by them, but as I flew the plane around more, people would notice it on the ramp, and kids would always point with a big smile on their face as I taxied by.  I grew to be a little bit proud of them as part of the personality of the plane.

• Like 4

The flames are 100% personality...

When you see that plane anywhere in the world... you’ll know it.

It isn’t a cookie cutter, everyone has it, kinda look...

As for the Continental six, normally aspirated... I like mine, in my Mooney...

The extra HP, is icing on the T/O and climb cake!

PP thoughts only, not a plane salesman...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

On 9/2/2020 at 5:58 PM, SantosDumont said:

People have really strong opinions about the flames.  I bought the plane because it was the first plane I found with the equipment that met my mission profile that wasn't snatched up before I could actually see it in person.  A few Mooneys I got a call back on with an appointment to see the plane on the weekend saying sorry someone already bought it.  So I think the flames actually helped me a bit there and scared off some potential buyers.  At first I was a bit embarrassed by them, but as I flew the plane around more, people would notice it on the ramp, and kids would always point with a big smile on their face as I taxied by.  I grew to be a little bit proud of them as part of the personality of the plane.

It's not like your plane is slow. It would be a bit ironic on the front of a 172. 

• Like 1

I don't think many will disagree that the Lycoming nickel cylinders are superior to most Continental cylinders.  With angle valve Lycomings, I think the only source is the factory, so the cylinder kit prices are high.  But there's only 4.  Bottom ends on both engines are supposed to be quite durable.  The fuel injection systems on Continentals is superior to the Bendix on the Lycomings.  Lycoming starter is much cheaper and simpler.
Pluses and minuses to both.
The 221 conversion is neat.  Not sure how many they did.  Also not sure it it's really superior in any tangible way to a good F.  But at this price point, with the nicely updated avionics, etc, etc, it's priced like a good F, so if I was shopping in that space, I'd seriously consider this.
Discount for the flame job?  

I will add, that with 6 cylinders if you lose power in one you may not even notice but lose power in a 4 cyl Mooney you likely won’t be able to maintain level flight.
Just one thing I appreciate with a 6 cyl engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I will add, that with 6 cylinders if you lose power in one you may not even notice but lose power in a 4 cyl Mooney you likely won’t be able to maintain level flight.

I’ve lost a cylinder twice, both on descents, at reduced power it’s not a big issue. Depending on your altitude and load I think at worst you’ll be able to maintain level flight at reduced power.
The biggest problem is you start thinking about what is next, fortunately in my case it recovered shortly after.

• 2 months later...
On 9/5/2020 at 3:08 AM, kortopates said:

Lost 2 cylinders on separate occasions (ingested valve).  Held altitude with 3 people, full tanks, and baggage no problem on the 2nd time.  Vibrates quite a bit but no issue flying.  

• SantosDumont changed the title to SOLD - 1967 M20F - ModWorks Trophy 221 - $59,500
  • 4 weeks later...

I use to own this Mooney..... back in the 70's & 80's, when the Number was N6385Q.  I traced this back by the S/N  670468. 

It was based in Grand Rapids, Michigan  and after I move to Denver, Colorado I sold it there....

It sure looks a lot different from when I owned it.....   

It was a awesome plane back then, and really enjoyed it.....   If I still had my medical, I would be very tempted to buy it....

I have some pictures of it from back then if anyone is interested .... 

• Like 3