MY new panel

My new panel is complete thanks to Chris and his two friends at Sure Flight.   Have 2 G5's and a GFC500 tied into a GTN750 along with a GTN650, G345R, and another G5 on the right side.   My next budget buster is going to be a new paint job.   Going to put a few hours on her this week and memorize every square inch of this auto pilot's capabilities but so far I am really pleased with how crispness of its tracking compared to the KFC 150 it replaced that had 2,700 hours on it. 

IMG_8217 (1).jpg

IMG_8222 (1).jpg

IMG_8223 (1).jpg

IMG_8226.JPG

IMG_8235 (1).jpg

IMG_8255.jpg

IMG_8256.jpg

IMG_8260.jpg

IMG_8261.jpg

IMG_8277.jpg

IMG_8279.jpg

IMG_8285 (1).jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Very nice panel indeed.

One suggestion for @Little Dipper (given it's a slow business day), that RPM looks awfully low.  I suggest keeping to 2500RPM in any phase of flight.  You only lose out on available power at this RPM...you don't gain anything.  Your cylinders also do not gain any appreciable life, nor are you prolonging their life by dialing back the RPM this far in cruise, so again, consider bumping that up to 2500RPM.  When (and if) you move to the 310HP STC, you'll want 2550 as your cruise RPM.

Again, a slow day for me.  But a gorgeous panel start for you.  :-)

Steve

• Like 1

Just now, StevenL757 said:

Very nice panel indeed.

One suggestion for @Little Dipper (given it's a slow business day), that RPM looks awfully low.  I suggest keeping to 2500RPM in any phase of flight.  You only lose out on available power at this RPM...you don't gain anything.  Your cylinders also do not gain any appreciable life, nor are you prolonging their life by dialing back the RPM this far in cruise, so again, consider bumping that up to 2500RPM.  When (and if) you move to the 310HP STC, you'll want 2550 as your cruise RPM.

Again, a slow day for me.  But a gorgeous panel start for you.  :-)

Steve

Great suggestion but I only use 22/17mp when I am loitering or spying.   I put in a factory new 310hp IO 350G previously.

14 minutes ago, irishpilot said:

please tell us about your thoughts on switching to twin G5s. It all looks great!

I'm thinking about doing that in my Bravo.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

It is too early for me to give advice on the twin G5s.   But I like the way they are set  up.   They contain a lot of info between the two of them.   Kind of getting a six pack of beer in only two cans.  :)  

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Little Dipper said:

Great suggestion but I only use 22/17mp when I am loitering or spying.   I put in a factory new 310hp IO 350G previously.

Gotcha, but regardless, you want to be controlling low-speed flight like that with MP, not RPM.  In the event you need to add power immediately, you want the RPM set to full forward (or as close to it as possible).  Anything less, and you run the risk of not being able to have power available as quick as you'd like.

Again, not nitpicking, but sharing a best-practice operating technique from the guy who co-designed the IO550 platform and also created the 310HP STC (Bob Minnis).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StevenL757 said:

Gotcha, but regardless, you want to be controlling low-speed flight like that with MP, not RPM.  In the event you need to add power immediately, you want the RPM set to full forward (or as close to it as possible).  Anything less, and you run the risk of not being able to have power available as quick as you'd like.

Again, not nitpicking, but sharing a best-practice operating technique from the guy who co-designed the IO550 platform and also created the 310HP STC (Bob Minnis).

Now this 2550rpm is surfacing in multiple places :)  Nice to have a name Bob Minnis) to go with the 310hp STC...-a- did not provide in another thread...

Very nice panel. Enjoy 

3 hours ago, StevenL757 said:

Thanks,   I'll take all the advice I can get especially when it is from an expert when it is free.  :)     

3 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

So that’s a second AI, is it connected to 1 or 2 NAV?

Neither,  I use the third G5 on the Co-Pilot side as an Altitude Indicator only when flying from the right seat.    When I had the KFC 150  I would use the KFC 150 FD along with the GTN 750 when shooting an approach from the right seat easy to do even though it is on the left.   Sadly, the pilots manual for the GFC 500/G5 states it is to be used from the left seat only.      

Edited by Little Dipper

2 hours ago, Missile=Awesome said:

Now this 2550rpm is surfacing in multiple places :)  Nice to have a name Bob Minnis) to go with the 310hp STC...-a- did not provide in another thread...

Very nice panel. Enjoy 

Sorry Scott,

My memory isn’t strong enough to remember some of the important names...

Bob Minnis is the IO550 guy... his track record runs incredibly deep... and has been known to take phone calls...

StevenL has been in constant contact with Mr. Minnis over the years...  and has delivered some of the most interesting insight on IO550 ops like the post above...

I am sure Mr. Minnis has the insight on your CHT challenge...

The IO550 can be an incredibly powerful engine with fuel and rpm...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Little Dipper said:

Sadly, the pilots manual for the GFC 500/G5 states it is to be used from the left seat only.      

Please clarify @Rmag or others.  I realize the g5 / gad29 / gfc has a two G5 limit to be fully integrated with the system. However the plane is in the shop getting two G5’s, one as a backup AI and the other for copilot AI. I’m under the impression that both will give navigation data and will allow autopilot control.

12 hours ago, MIm20c said:

Please clarify @Rmag or others.  I realize the g5 / gad29 / gfc has a two G5 limit to be fully integrated with the system. However the plane is in the shop getting two G5’s, one as a backup AI and the other for copilot AI. I’m under the impression that both will give navigation data and will allow autopilot control.

I am no expert but believe it is because the gad 29 it is only capable of being limited two? 

Edited by Little Dipper
correction

15 hours ago, MIm20c said:

I asked our Avionics manager and his opinion was that you can technically do that but not legally. The STC allows two G5’s one in ADI config and one in HSI config as primary instruments in the pilot panel. The HSI has reversionary capability and can control a GFC 500. 

The G5 in Norm’s co-pilot position is not integrated with anything and is not a primary or backup instrument. 

• Like 2

Just now, Rmag said:

I asked our Avionics manager and his opinion was that you can technically do that but not legally. The STC allows two G5’s one in ADI config and one in HSI config as primary instruments in the pilot panel. The HSI has reversionary capability and can control a GFC 500. 

The G5 in Norm’s co-pilot position is not integrated with anything and is not a primary or backup instrument. 

Thanks for clarifying that.

6 hours ago, Rmag said:

The second AI will not be a primary or backup in our instillation. I appreciate you checking and the fast response.