Executive Autopilots - Sacramento CA

PT20J

3 minutes ago, PT20J said:

Anybody have any pireps?

Skip

Yes.  My experience 3 years ago with them...... superb!

I made an appointment with them ahead of time regarding my KFC150 not locking in.

Upon my arrival my plane was quickly ushered into hangar and the diagnostic process began.  

Within 2 hours, the problem was discovered and repaired and I was on my way!

That’s efficiency!!

• Like 2

At least with BK autopilots, the AP guy, whose name escapes me, is not only one of the best in the west, but one of the best in the country. He has all the BK diagnostic equipment and can do board level repairs.
Sometimes the greater challenge though is reproducing the issue on the ground with the test equipment so he can be sure of the fault and how to fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kortopates said:

At least with BK autopilots, the AP guy, whose name escapes me, is not only one of the best in the west, but one of the best in the country. He has all the BK diagnostic equipment and can do board level repairs.
Sometimes the greater challenge though is reproducing the issue on the ground with the test equipment so he can be sure of the fault and how to fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, he did indeed have all the test equipment....... isolated the issue to the tail servo unit, pulled the unit, put it on the bench, found the defective transistor (replaced all 4 if my memory serves me correctly), reinstalled, reconnected and wow!  I was highly impressed!!

Flying the plane in was a huge asset, as opposed to pulling modules and sending them out for service.

• Like 1

I think they’re still suffering from the very bad reputation they had with the old owner among  locals. If there is anyway you can get jnto AirBorne Electronics on the same airport you’ll be a lucky guy. But Airborne books out 6+ months often. It’s the only place I take my plane. Exec autopilots gets most of their business from people who don’t want to wait for the backlog at Airborne. 

-Robert 

Skip - Very good experiences.  They were helpful keeping my KFC150 alive prior to getting my GFC500.  I recall I made 2 visits in person with the plane and they quickly got the issues resolved.  My experience with a local and one other long distance shop was poor but Executive was great.  Taking the plane there was a hassle but net-net it was worthwhile.

Trevor

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MooneyMitch said:

Yes.  My experience 3 years ago with them...... superb!

I made an appointment with them ahead of time regarding my KFC150 not locking in.

Upon my arrival my plane was quickly ushered into hangar and the diagnostic process began.  

Within 2 hours, the problem was discovered and repaired and I was on my way!

That’s efficiency!!

Same here.  Andre worked on my plane and fixed it very quickly at a fair price.  I highly recommend them.

• Like 1

I spoke with David when I was having a problem with my STEC-30 after another shop had messed it up....based on the symptom he told me there was a high chance it was just a bent pin on a connector...he was right!  Five minutes and fixed it myself.

If I have another AP problem that's where I'm taking it.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, midlifeflyer said:

No, he's a YouTubber (in)famous for especially bad flying in a cabin class Twin, he uses them and I think has a connection to the organization.

Just realized this could be taken in the wrong way. I absolutely did not intend it to be a reflection on the quality of the shop.

Sounds like everyone's having a good experience there. Thanks for your pireps! I had an intermittent issue with my KAP 150 controller a couple of years ago. I phoned David and described the symptoms and he correctly diagnosed the problem as a bad interconnect connection between circuit boards.

Skip

• Like 2