Bravo Rudder Trim

tls pilot

On my recent flight, prior to take off I put in Right Rudder Trim (Take Off Position)

I usually leave it in for the climb, upon reaching 15000 I attempted to put the rudder trim in a neutral (middle position)

Nothing..

I rocked pushed the split rocker rudder switch also pulled the circuit breaker for the actuator and indicator a few times.

Still nothing...

Tried it a few times on the 3.5 hour flight

Even rocked the rudder with controls

On descent, I decided to try it again and it worked!

On the ground it worked several times

Today, decided to check it on the ground, it worked two times full deflection to Right then Left, then on Right it got “stuck again”.

The actuator is located in the rear pilot side battery compartment. It is below the brake reservoir  along the wall and more on the midline

Has a microswitch attached 

Used a padded handle to a screw driver and tapped on the actuator, then it worked again multi times

Has anyone else experienced any of these rudder trim issues?

Not certain it is corrected, only time will tell.

Just now, tls pilot said:

On my recent flight, prior to take off I put in Right Rudder Trim (Take Off Position)

I usually leave it in for the climb, upon reaching 15000 I attempted to put the rudder trim in a neutral (middle position)

Nothing..

I rocked pushed the split rocker rudder switch also pulled the circuit breaker for the actuator and indicator a few times.

Still nothing...

Today, decided to check it on the ground, it worked two times full deflection to Right then Left, then on Right it got “stuck again”.

The actuator is located in the rear pilot side battery compartment. It is below the brake reservoir  along the wall and more on the midline

Used a padded handle to a screw driver and tapped on the actuator, then it worked again multi times

Yes.  Needed the actuator replaced.

39 minutes ago, tls pilot said:

Don

Did you have similar issues?

What was the cost of it? 

I believe its sealed and cannot be rebuilt?

So, I just checked my records and it was the "right limit switch on the rudder trim actuator".  It was done in 2006.  The switch part number was 487-925.  It cost $13.65 at the  time and the labor was 1 hour at $75/hour.  Total cost was $88.65.   Times have changed.

• Like 1

Simple switch replacement sounds pretty good...

We have @Jake@BevanAviation that is familiar with Servo motors and BK systems... and often can give good insight on identify challenges with these motors...

Our rudder trim motor doesn’t see much action... but, if you use it like a tiller for ground steering... you may get some additional wear with that... :)

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

On 8/29/2020 at 10:05 PM, carusoam said:

Simple switch replacement sounds pretty good...

We have @Jake@BevanAviation that is familiar with Servo motors and BK systems... and often can give good insight on identify challenges with these motors...

Our rudder trim motor doesn’t see much action... but, if you use it like a tiller for ground steering... you may get some additional wear with that... :)

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

It goes without saying that the rudder trim on the ground should be neutralized until trimming full right trim on entering the runway.  When I'm cleared for takeoff, I trim full right rudder, enter the runway, look over my shoulder to make sure the baggage door it closed, and turn on the strobes and pulse lights just like the "big" guys.  I imagine it looks both Professional and "cool" from the Tower and anyone looking when the lights go on.

• Like 6

On 8/29/2020 at 8:56 PM, tls pilot said:

Nothing..

Still nothing...

Had mine happen several months ago. Got stuck full right at 15k cruise. Diverted to a MSC and worked on decent so I could neutralize the rudder. Mine was a wiring issue that was barely hanging on to the motor. One hour of labor and was back on my way. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, kmyfm20s said:

This just happened to mine yesterday. Glad I found this post! I am stuck in the full right position also. Hopefully mine is a simple fix like the others. 

I suggest you tap on the motor and micro switch (limit switch) 

In my case, I did the above then spray the micro switch with a very good contact cleaner

The switch and motor is easy to get at. If you need a need micro switch, the cost is under $60.00

• Like 1

On 8/30/2020 at 12:22 AM, donkaye said:

It goes without saying that the rudder trim on the ground should be neutralized until trimming full right trim on entering the runway.  When I'm cleared for takeoff, I trim full right rudder, enter the runway, look over my shoulder to make sure the baggage door it closed, and turn on the strobes and pulse lights just like the "big" guys.  I imagine it looks both Professional and "cool" from the Tower and anyone looking when the lights go on.

@donkaye Please elaborate more on this.  I set the trim on the left side of the takeoff marking bracket when warming the engine before I taxi out.  It might need a touch of right rudder on take off but not much. Are there stresses on the gear happening during taxi?

Edited by nfonville

1 hour ago, nfonville said:

@donkaye Please elaborate more on this.  I set the trim on the left side of the takeoff marking bracket when warming the engine before I taxi out.  It might need a touch of right rudder on take off but not much. Are there stresses on the gear happening during taxi?

Yes.  Don't you notice the tendency to go right as you taxi with the rudder trim set for takeoff?  It's also a potential issue when landing from a strong crosswind.  Unlike some Cessnas, the rudder and nose wheel are interconnected.  Also, why not use full rudder trim on takeoff.  That's what it's there for; to correct for slipstream, torque, and p-factor effect.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, donkaye said:

Yes.  Don't you notice the tendency to go right as you taxi with the rudder trim set for takeoff?  It's also a potential issue when landing from a strong crosswind.  Unlike some Cessnas, the rudder and nose wheel are interconnected.  Also, why not use full rudder trim on takeoff.  That's what it's there for; to correct for slipstream, torque, and p-factor effect.

@donkaye  Thanks for the reply. I really have not noticed but will pay more attention to see if it has a right turning tendency during taxi. You have me curious now.  I do understand the connection between the rudder and nose wheel.  I'm not sure I understand your statement "It's also a potential issue when landing from a strong crosswind". I trim for coordinated flight in cruise and so I land in that setting.  I have lots of time in HP planes that the rudder trim was not so easily set so using a bit of right rudder on takeoff is just natural. Usually just a slight pressure unless a strong crosswind then maybe a bit more.

26 minutes ago, nfonville said:

@donkaye  Thanks for the reply. I really have not noticed but will pay more attention to see if it has a right turning tendency during taxi. You have me curious now.  I do understand the connection between the rudder and nose wheel.  I'm not sure I understand your statement "It's also a potential issue when landing from a strong crosswind". I trim for coordinated flight in cruise and so I land in that setting.  I have lots of time in HP planes that the rudder trim was not so easily set so using a bit of right rudder on takeoff is just natural. Usually just a slight pressure unless a strong crosswind then maybe a bit more.

In a crosswind the nose wheel will be turned in the direction of rudder pressure.  If you set the plane down with the rudder turned, the plane could start going in that direction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

K,

expect that the sensor is mounted in slotted holes...

But, this is the typical method Mooney has used over the years with sensors...

I’m not familiar with this exact sensor... still searching the pics above if you point me to what it looks like...

:)

Best regards,

-a-

8 minutes ago, carusoam said:

K,

expect that the sensor is mounted in slotted holes...

But, this is the typical method Mooney has used over the years with sensors...

I’m not familiar with this exact sensor... still searching the pics above if you point me to what it looks like...

:)

Best regards,

-a-

I wasn’t very clear with my question. The lighted indicator on the panel next to the trim switch itself. Mine in level flight indicates on the lower limit of the takeoff zone. Unless I’m doing a high speed dive it doesn’t indicate out side of the takeoff zone. I’m wondering if it Can be calibrated? 

8E04F1C0-2EB5-45E6-A572-1B510F4D7E04.thumb.jpeg.d34f24ae783f10c63a8f4050aab5083b.jpeg

• Like 1

I expect that it can be calibrated...

It makes a lot of sense if... if the sensor can be slid in its elongated holes...  Need to check for elongated holes for that...

My reference... when centered by the LED lights in the panel... the plane pretty much tracks straight down the yellow taxi line...

I have used the switch as a tiller to steer the plane as well... it’s good... but not that good...  :)

Best regards,

-a-