I must love to work on airplanes, or I’m just crazy!

N201MKTurbo

27 minutes ago, squeaky.stow said:

But I still miss those days! And it still beats -40C.

That's what I tell everybody, summer is our hard season. That's when everybody hunkers down inside. There are a few hardy individuals who venture out to do their thing (like me) no matter what.

The upside of living in the hot country is that it doesn't rust your car (or plane)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, N201MKTurbo said:

The mercury shot up to 122 degrees on June 26, 1990

I stand corrected. Just checked the logbook. We got there in Dec 89 so our first summer would have been 1990. Wow. Hard to believe that is 30 years ago!

Luke didn’t even have shade hangars back then.

1367EF07-CAF5-4B4F-8414-CE1CE3757484.jpeg

21 hours ago, squeaky.stow said:

I stand corrected. Just checked the logbook. We got there in Dec 89 so our first summer would have been 1990. Wow. Hard to believe that is 30 years ago!

Luke didn’t even have shade hangars back then.

1367EF07-CAF5-4B4F-8414-CE1CE3757484.jpeg

So, I fly to Tucson quite often where the Guard flys F16s. I get to taxi behind them gasping for air and getting my wind screen splattered with jet fuel. Anyway, it seems that they take off with afterburner about 80% of the time. Why is that? Granted, if I had one and didn’t have to pay for it, I would push the button too. It seems like a huge waste of jet fuel just to get to pattern altitude in a hurry.

I will say sitting at the hold short line when one goes by on the take off roll with the afterburner going is way cool and something very few people get to experence.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Anyway, it seems that they take off with afterburner about 80% of the time. Why is that?

AB takeoffs are (or were in my day) SOP unless you were really trying to conserve fuel, say on a cross country where you were trying to stretch the range. 
The airplane can do a Mil power (no afterburner) takeoff in most configurations but it uses a lot more runway.  If you were operating at heavier weights with a lot of bombs and external tanks, it wasn’t even possible.

Plus it is fun to make the sound of freedom!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, squeaky.stow said:

AB takeoffs are (or were in my day) SOP unless you were really trying to conserve fuel, say on a cross country where you were trying to stretch the range. 
The airplane can do a Mil power (no afterburner) takeoff in most configurations but it uses a lot more runway.  If you were operating at heavier weights with a lot of bombs and external tanks, it wasn’t even possible.

Plus it is fun to make the sound of freedom!

Well, I get to see the 30 feet of blue diamonds, all you get is a kick in the ass!