Changing the shock Bungies on the landing gear

DaveMC

Has anyone here ever changed the shock bungees on their TLS. Wondering if it’s even allowable that we do it ourselves. I do have a BMP that would help me which I would certainly use but just wondering how hard it is. 

4 hours ago, DaveMC said:

Has anyone here ever changed the shock bungees on their TLS. Wondering if it’s even allowable that we do it ourselves. I do have a BMP that would help me which I would certainly use but just wondering how hard it is. 

Are we talking about the 11 shock discs?

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/lgpages/lord-m20-mooney.php

5 hours ago, FoxMike said:

Not terribly hard but it is easiest done with the tools and an experienced hand supervising.  The nose wheel collar if in correctly installed can cause big problems.  

How so? I just had mine done by a MSC but on T/O feels like the plane shimmers and wants to pull to the right...

1 hour ago, daytonabch04 said:

How so? I just had mine done by a MSC but on T/O feels like the plane shimmers and wants to pull to the right...

There is a retainer ring that sets the caster.  It is not symmetrical.  Goes in place easier one way than the other...the wrong way....  this sets the wrong caster and makes your nose gear equipped airplane a great tail-wheel simulator, with potential for shimmy.  There is a measure for that in an SB and I’m pretty sure in the latest MM.

8 hours ago, DaveMC said:

Shock bungees..?

I don’t think we are talking bungees... these are springs used in some Mooneys... and they never get changed... :)

Now... rubber biscuits or donuts...

These get changed all the time...

There are 11of them... they cost 100+ each....

There are tools to make it easy...

There are procedures for doing it without special tools...

Doing it yourself is great if you have a mechanic to sign off your work...

If it gets goofed up... how fast will you be going when you find out?   :)

Some times, there are additional parts needed once the donuts have been removed...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1