Autopilot! KAP-150 v/s KFC-150

Good evening all. I was wondering if any of you all are familiar enough with the avionics to give a little guidance. I have a KAP-150 autopilot which is now coupled with an Aspen EFD 2000 Pro MAX system via the EA-100. Works very well. However, in reading after the install, it appears that the Aspen system can display flight director cues from appropriate autopilots. The KAP-150 does not have a flight director, but the KFC does. When I read the Bendix-King manual, it looks like the only difference in the systems is the computer itself, (191 v/s 192) as they use the same servo models, etc. 

My question is, are the KC-191 and KC-192 computers interchangeable? I.E. can I simply remove my unit and replace it with a KFC-150, and expect it to be that easy? From what pics I can see researching online, they have the same or at least similar connectors on the back...

Thanks!

I don't know the specific answer. But I do know that there is a calibration chip specific to your make/model in the computer. So  you could not just take a computer from a Piper and put it in your Mooney without also getting the correct calibration chip. I don't know if this chip is different between KFC and KAP.  

Simple answer is no.  The KAP vs KFC will have different adapter modules.  If you were able to find the correct dash number of KC-192 with the correct modules then yes, you could remove one and install the other with some additional wiring for FD bars to the Aspen.  The good news is the modules can still be made however, they are fairly expensive and can only be sourced from Duncan Aviation.  If you could get a copy of the install manual for your aircraft it will have all the information you would need to source a as removed unit.  

NOTE: if you are going to swap be sure to align the new unit to the attitude source when installing.

Edited by Jake@BevanAviation
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/27/2020 at 8:09 AM, Jake@BevanAviation said:

Simple answer is no.  The KAP vs KFC will have different adapter modules.  If you were able to find the correct dash number of KC-192 with the correct modules then yes, you could remove one and install the other with some additional wiring for FD bars to the Aspen.  The good news is the modules can still be made however, they are fairly expensive and can only be sourced from Duncan Aviation.  If you could get a copy of the install manual for your aircraft it will have all the information you would need to source a as removed unit.  

NOTE: if you are going to swap be sure to align the new unit to the attitude source when installing.

Jake, thanks for the above info. Reviving an older thread. I do have a follow up question as you seem to be the subject matter expert. Are the modules interchangeable between the flight computers? In other words, could I remove the module from my KC-191 and install it in a KC-192? From the installation modules I have read, it looks like the modules were initially sold/shipped separately from BK corresponding to the specific airframe. I know there would be some wiring that would need to be added for the Flight Director, but just wondering if it would be economically feasible to move from the 191 to the 192 computer. Otherwise, the equipment between the KAP-150 and KFC-150 appears to be identical.

Thanks!

@CharlesHuddlestonKC-191 modules will have different straps/resistors vs modules for the KC-192.  The IM for the aircraft will note what modules are needed for a KC-191 vs KC-192.  If I remember correctly only one of the modules will have to be changed, the other can be re-used.  Be sure to consult your local avionics shop to ensure they have the necessary equipment for the alignment.

Edited by Jake@BevanAviation
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

There are also multiple part numbers of KC 192, for example the 065-0042-03 vs. the -16 depending on what it was originally mated to (mechanical AI vs. EFIS). Make sure you get one that's compatible with your other avionics. The -16 is not compatible with the newer Garmin PFDs and there may be a similar issue for your Aspen. Like Jake mentions, your avionics shop will know more.