Foldable Electric Scooters

Seth

What are the options out there for electric scooters that fit in the Mooney through the baggage door? Something small for use around a big airport or within a few miles of the airport is all I'm looking for. 

Maybe something like the old Razor but electric.

Thanks!

-Seth

I really like our Xiaomi Mi scooters. My wife and I carry 2 in the baggage area to commute around. They won many awards when they came out but there may be other better options now - but I see this review of the top 5 still includes them and they are what Bird built their business on.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/adventure/a32963014/top-electric-scooters/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=arb_ga_pop_m_bm_a32963014&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1qL6BRCmARIsADV9JtaqMUGC5WREOll-RatbXnq8Dh4wwgf9LKZvuqFrj5B2kjiyJjrlM3UaAkBQEALw_wcB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I picked up one of these the other day for $599.99 28 mile range and I've seen mine up to about 17-18mph. 

https://www.costco.com/segway-ninebot-es3-kickscooter-with-dual-battery.product.100498363.html

Little bigger than I had hoped and have to take the handle bar off unless my back seat is empty to put it in. 

The most disappointing thing I found out is how many places have laws against them. Some of the stupid ones I've come across are can't be used in certain area of towns, no sidewalks, streets under a certain MPH such as only under roads of 35 or less. Zero alcohol tolerance when riding them.  Helmet law's in some places. Oh, and the hefty fine that can come with breaking any law on the books.

So do your research on the town you are visiting before you inadvertently break a law. 

1 hour ago, 59Moonster said:
I picked up one of these the other day for $599.99 28 mile range and I've seen mine up to about 17-18mph. 
https://www.costco.com/segway-ninebot-es3-kickscooter-with-dual-battery.product.100498363.html

Little bigger than I had hoped and have to take the handle bar off unless my back seat is empty to put it in. 

The most disappointing thing I found out is how many places have laws against them. Some of the stupid ones I've come across are can't be used in certain area of towns, no sidewalks, streets under a certain MPH such as only under roads of 35 or less. Zero alcohol tolerance when riding them.  Helmet law's in some places. Oh, and the hefty fine that can come with breaking any law on the books.
So do your research on the town you are visiting before you inadvertently break a law. 

Do you know what these weigh? I couldn’t find a weight.

I have a pair of the earlier Xiaomi Mi scooters which go as fast but only half the range. If these aren’t much heavier I think these would be the best option since mine fit in the baggage compartment easily.

I don’t have any issues with the laws on their use. As an avid bike rider these are mostly all common sense; especially the helmet law. Some places they’ve been banned are crowded with pedestrians - and only after way to many accidents. But excellent important point about know the laws before you go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by kortopates

I looked till I found the weight on these https://www.costco.com/segway-ninebot-es3-kickscooter-with-dual-battery.product.100498363.html

Only 27 lbs for twice the range of the original Xiaomi Mi, which the ES2 pretty much matches. But it look like you can no longer buy an ES3 anywhere but Costco - as if they're out of production.

I have been searching for a similar item.  So far, none of the electric scooters that have a decent range would fit the baggage area flat.  Most of the electric scooter have length of longer than 36" when folded.   M20E baggage area is a width of 32" to 36".  One Wheel appears to be a good fit.  However, I also know it takes a bit of skill to learn to ride one of those.  Not to mention the XR version cost $1.8 AMU.  A pair of One Wheel XR, (me and wife) will set me back almost $4 AMU.  

I have been searching for a similar item.  So far, none of the electric scooters that have a decent range would fit the baggage area flat.  Most of the electric scooter have length of longer than 36" when folded.   M20E baggage area is a width of 32" to 36".  One Wheel appears to be a good fit.  However, I also know it takes a bit of skill to learn to ride one of those.  Not to mention the XR version cost $1.8 AMU.  A pair of One Wheel XR, (me and wife) will set me back almost $4 AMU.  

For that much they should add a low gear and hardware to enable it to be used as a tow.
  • Like 1

Mine don't fit flat either, but the important thing is that 2 fit fine. They do need to fit in diagonally with them on the floor on the far side with the other end right at the base of the baggage door. When done right, its right below the baggage door and I use a towel to separate the wheel from the interior wall. With two, its hard to fit more than the scooters, a couple bike helmets and a couple day packs. But with one I can get an overnight bag in their easily. The newer one above with its folding handles looks like it will be easier to fit in as well.

• 2 months later...