Folding bikes that fit through baggage door?

On 8/26/2020 at 3:57 PM, aviatoreb said:

We have a pair of Montague bikes - which are mtn bikes with full size 26'' wheels and they ride entirely like a normal mtn bike and capable of normal off road riding.  Unlike many folders that are a compromise of ride-a-bility to favor for quick fold.

https://www.montaguebikes.com

So the frame folds quickly in a way that with wheels off the frames easily go through the door.  I take the wheels off and put them in a wheel bag and that easily goes in through the passenger door - just the wheels - so overall very easy.  But not quite as quick as say a brompton.  Definitely rides better than a bromton.  I guess it depends - do you want a bike to ride 2 or 4 miles from the airport to town.  Or do you want a bike to go somewhere and do a ride?  Maybe a substantial ride.

I used to have the Paratrooper my wife had Swiss bike, and even I add two rear wheel electric conversion kit to them for countryside road and terrain cycling 
To be honest they were a nightmare to fold, remove the wheel, twist the rear backsteats and get them inside the Mooney on top of the wing without scratching anything, my wife felt they were heavy for her, also aircraft complained that WnB cost was too much, about 50lbs for both with electric batteries to do 160miles, although it was far easier to get them inside DA40 & DA42, actually even full non-folding bikes do get in !

At the end we settled for BtWin Tilt XS500, not sure if these are sold in the US but they are 8lbs and they worked like breeze for few trips to Belgium/Netherlands flat lands (although we could have hired there :lol:), these were really underpriced in the UK as public thinks they are not heavy & strong enough, I think my wife is ok on them while me I was ready to eject :D, a friend had his back broken after he stalled in that folding bike: he got slow and pulled too much on the yoke, I got a picture of him on max AoA :D

Well at the end we sold all folding bikes and we got a baby stroller <_<

20200701_082038.jpg

20200703_094106.jpg

20200624_121750.jpg

20200628_114423.jpg

20190921_150546.jpg

20190421_150332.jpg

IMG-20190505-WA0000.jpg

Edited by Ibra
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ibra said:

I used to have the Paratrooper my wife had Swiss bike, and even I add two rear wheel electric conversion kit to them for countryside road and terrain cycling 
To be honest they were a nightmare to fold, remove the wheel, twist the rear backsteats and get them inside the Mooney on top of the wing without scratching anything, my wife felt they were heavy for her, also aircraft complained that WnB cost was too much, about 50lbs for both with electric batteries to do 160miles, although it was far easier to get them inside DA40 & DA42, actually even full non-folding bikes do get in !

At the end we settled for BtWin Tilt XS500, not sure if these are sold in the US but they are 8lbs and they worked like breeze for few trips to Belgium/Netherlands flat lands (although we could have hired there :lol:), these were really underpriced in the UK as public thinks they are not heavy & strong enough, I think my wife is ok on them while me I was ready to eject :D, a friend had his back broken after he stalled in that folding bike: he got slow and pulled too much on the yoke, I got a picture of him on max AoA :D

Well at the end we sold all folding bikes and we got a baby stroller <_<

20200628_114423.jpg

Hah - you used to have a Diamond DA40 just like me!

With BOTH wheels off the Montague you see in the picture, the back end pivoted all the way around facing forward and fully lined up with the front fork.  Then turn that front fork so the bars are parallel the frame.  Then the frame (no wheels) fits easily through a Mooney baggage door.  No need to climb on the wing.  If you don't take that rear wheel off, then it is almost more difficult to get it into a mooney since it won't fit through the baggage door and to put it in the back through the front door past the passenger front set is harder because it is wider with the wheel still on but folded than if you had not bothered to fold it.  Wheels off!  If you are used to taking wheels off bikes it takes like 30 seconds.  I bet I could take both wheels off and then but them back on in about 60 seconds.

5 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Hah - you used to have a Diamond DA40 just like me!

With BOTH wheels off the Montague you see in the picture, the back end pivoted all the way around facing forward and fully lined up with the front fork.  Then turn that front fork so the bars are parallel the frame.  Then the frame (no wheels) fits easily through a Mooney baggage door.  No need to climb on the wing.  If you don't take that rear wheel off, then it is almost more difficult to get it into a mooney since it won't fit through the baggage door and to put it in the back through the front door past the passenger front set is harder because it is wider with the wheel still on but folded than if you had not bothered to fold it.  Wheels off!  If you are used to taking wheels off bikes it takes like 30 seconds.  I bet I could take both wheels off and then but them back on in about 60 seconds.

Yes, I was unlucky that after we put the electric kit upgrade, the rear gear can't be taken easily !
Did not help when upgrading from DA40 to Mooney (still miss composite propellers & diesel engines, I know you have the former ;) )
The M20J is not as wide as US marines C130 to take a full paratrooper bike ;)

I have two of these and can get one in baggage area of a J. You can cover a lot of ground on this one and the Tokyo is their smallest model. Cant find the photo with it in the plane. $289

http://www.citizenbike.com/catalog.asp?product_category_id=1&product_id=10

image.png.94999bdee087199299a313a01aa0732a.png

Edited by Cabanaboy

On 8/26/2020 at 11:35 AM, Bolter said:

There are tradeoffs in ride quality and compactness, I have been happy with the Bromptons.  I can get them through the hatch, and I am pleased with how they ride.  While it may not ride as well as a large wheel bike, the difference on pavement is small.  I have done up to 26 miles on one, keeping a reasonable pace, and quickly forgot I was riding on tiny wheels.

I prefer bikes with hub gears instead of a derailleur.  Less adjustable and expensive hardware exposed to getting banged around. 

For us, the plane-bike combination is a great way to explore new places.  

An old used Dahon from the 80's will fit in the hatch, and can be found on craigslist for $100.  Try it.  See if you like flying then biking without the major investment.  Those old bikes are real flexi-flyers, though.  Know that new folders are much more rigid and comfortable.  

Example: https://buffalo.craigslist.org/bik/d/depew-vintage-dahon-lll-foldable-bicycle/7180878080.html  (note that the images of the "folded" bike are not completely folded)

Just bought that used Dahon III, excited to use it next time I'm on a solo trip. Thanks again for the link!

3 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

This thing must be the ultimate in fast folder - it folds like an umbrella.  I saw a few of them when I spent some time in Oxford, UK a few years ago - they were popular there.

https://www.blessthisstuff.com/stuff/vehicles/cycles/strida-foldable-bike/

I was thinking about one of those, even though they were a lot of money.  But they weighed only  a few pounds less than the el cheapo I bought, and the version I was looking at didn't even have any gears!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, steingar said:

I was thinking about one of those, even though they were a lot of money.  But they weighed only  a few pounds less than the el cheapo I bought, and the version I was looking at didn't even have any gears!

Right - its strength is quick fold - and all other attributes are sacrificed for that the quickest possible fold and small.  Its not super light and the riding position looks like it would be terrible!  But it folds quick and small.  3 seconds to the size of an umbrella.  

59 minutes ago, AlexLev said:

Just bought that used Dahon III, excited to use it next time I'm on a solo trip. Thanks again for the link!

Master the folding without people watching you :-) 

Have fun with it.  I found I started carrying the folders in the car, as well, and preferring them for touring areas with my wife.  Especially cities, where once you park, you don't want to park again.

• Like 1

Not sure if it's been mentioned here or in the other thread, but I got some spam earlier this week from Jupiter that a brand-new model is available for pre-order..

https://www.jupiterbike.com/discovery-x7

I think it costs about a grand, and the Jupiter bikes are occasionally marketed to the pilot set.  No idea if this fits in a Mooney.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, toto said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned here or in the other thread, but I got some spam earlier this week from Jupiter that a brand-new model is available for pre-order..

https://www.jupiterbike.com/discovery-x7

I think it costs about a grand, and the Jupiter bikes are occasionally marketed to the pilot set.  No idea if this fits in a Mooney.

2 Jupiter Bikes "Discovery X5" fit through the cargo door and into my cargo bay with ease.  You can buy new for over $1200 or Refurb for about $500

• Like 1

On 8/26/2020 at 3:08 PM, steingar said:

Three thousand dollars!!!!!  YGBKM!!!  For that money I could go out and buy a half dozen or more really nice bicycles and just stash them at my more frequent stops!  Actually, I could get a really good motorcycle for that kind of cash.  I already decided if I couldn't get something that fit for less than a couple hundred bucks I just wasn't doing it.

Have you looked at bicycle prices lately? Good road bikes are several thou and high grade ones are now up to ten or more.

PS I looked at the paratrooper video, the concept is really cool. But when, I am wondering, is the bike industry going to figure out how bad front shock absorbers are and quit putting them on bikes.  Brake hard, the front end drops, the cyclist goes over the bars into whatever is coming. I know several people who have broken bones because of that.  

Edited by jlunseth
  • Like 1

Few years ago my wife bought me a Citizen Tokyo:

http://www.citizenbike.com/catalog.asp?product_category_id=1&product_id=10

Inexpensive and good construction but relatively heavy (steel). I'm 6'3 and it is still big enough for myself; used it last year when commuting in Mooney to my work for 5 mile ride between work (at airport) and my apartment... no problem whatsoever...

• Thanks 1

On 8/26/2020 at 9:52 AM, aviatoreb said:

I think these look really neat: https://www.helix.ca

One of these days I might buy a pair.

If you want a fully customizable experience you can always look at these guys... and if you thought the Helix was expensive...

https://www.bikefriday.com/folding-bikes/

They've got a 15lb(without E-Assist) for only $4k... and yes, they have much more affordable models as well.

• 2 months later...

I didn't want to reply to this until I confirmed it, but the Sun Bike Shortcut SC-7 fits nicely.  I bought one to go in my old Warrior, but hadn't tried putting it in the Mooney until today.  It fit fine.  I removed the saddle because I had to do that to get it into the Warrior, but after putting it in the Mooney, I don't think that's strictly necessary.  In any case, the saddle post has a quick clamp, so it's easy to remove and reinstall.

The Shortcut series comes in multiple models, all about the same.  The SC-7 has a 7-speed sprocket and fenders and a bag rack.  Total weight 29 lb as equipped.  It cost me about $450 3 years ago at a local bike shop, but the list price seems to be around $500 now.  Probably you could get it for less locally.

I just kind of threw it in on top of my tools and stuff, so I'm sure it could be made to allow more space around it if more care were taken.

20201109_144444_HDR.jpg

20201109_144439_HDR.jpg

20201109_144405.jpg

Edited by 1001001
  • Like 3

I suppose I should put up a pirep.  The bike I got, which was the cheapest aluminum frame bike on Amazon (called Murtizol), weighs about 25 pounds and cost $270.  It fit just fine in the luggage bay of the Mooney, unfolds easily and rides fine.  It was more than enough for me, since I just want to ride into town.  That said, my bicycle riding muscles went about the same time as my girlish figure, so I dusted off the big bicycle at home and am riding it in on days where nothing falls from the sky.  Makes quick work of my 3 miles commute.  I'll keep this up through the winter and should have my bicycle muscles back by Spring, when it'll be time to take the little bike exploring.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2020 at 7:15 AM, mooneyflyer said:

2 Jupiter Bikes "Discovery X5" fit through the cargo door and into my cargo bay with ease.  You can buy new for over $1200 or Refurb for about $500

Do you have a Long body Mooney?  (F or J).   I have a short body and could not even fit one X5 into the cargo area without serious struggle.  In my test ride, the X5 also fall short of its advertised 30 miles range with level 2 pedal assist (there are 3 levels).  I think I only made 22 miles according to the bike odometer.  GPS recorded 18 miles only.  Which means the bike's odometer is not accurate.  

19 hours ago, corn_flake said:

Do you have a Long body Mooney?  (F or J).   I have a short body and could not even fit one X5 into the cargo area without serious struggle.  In my test ride, the X5 also fall short of its advertised 30 miles range with level 2 pedal assist (there are 3 levels).  I think I only made 22 miles according to the bike odometer.  GPS recorded 18 miles only.  Which means the mike odometer is not accurate.  

Yes, I do have a long body and I am getting 32-34 miles per charge on level 2.  If I peddle lightly, I get more miles per charge...

I’ve had a Brompton specifically bought to go with me in my Mooney. Fits through the cargo door without disassembling and doesn’t completely hog the rear cargo space. I’ve been using it for 10 years and it’s been great ground transportation. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I'm a little late to the post, but maybe this will help. This is a Dahon Speed in the back of a '78J. Just a few suggestions:

1) This model is 26lbs. It's all that I would want to lift into the baggage area.

2) Dahon makes a pretty darn good bike for the money

3) There is a huge difference in ride quality/stabilitybetween 20" wheels and 16" wheels. I have a folder with 16" and it just sits now.

4) If I remember correctly, this didn't fit with the luggage rack on the back. You can still get it in, just not laying flat like this.

5) Remove the seat post when loading and unloading. Just makes it easier.

6) The Helix looks awesome, but it's only 1.5lbs lighter and over $3k

7) I strongly recommend getting one with gears over single speed

My wife and I have been using folding bikes in planes for 12+ years. 172, m20j, pa-28. They are so much fun to use. We just got back from a trip to Venice, FL. We were on our Dahons for three days.

Places on East coast that are fun to visit with folders:

1) Ocracoke, NC (W95)

2) First Flight, NC (FFA)

3) Williamsburg, VA (JGG)

4) Tangier Island (TGI)

5) Beaufort, NC (SUT)

6) Beaufort, SC (ARW)

7) Fernandina Beach, FL (FHB)

9) Cedar Key, FL (CDK)

10) Venice, FL (VNC)

11) Key West, FL (EYW)

I'm sure there are several more, but these all have towns that you can ride to easily from the airport.

IMG_4780.JPG

IMG_4779.JPG