Jump to content

Folding bikes that fit through baggage door?


Recommended Posts

This thread comes up every now and then, but thought I'd see if anyone has any PIREPs for folding bikes that will fit in a baggage door in a mid-body (I have a G specifically but I'm sure if it fits in F/J it will work too)?

Can you load it in through the baggage door? Just one or can you get two in there?

Thanks!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

*Members that donate $10 or more do not see advertisements*

8 minutes ago, AlexLev said:

This thread comes up every now and then, but thought I'd see if anyone has any PIREPs for folding bikes that will fit in a baggage door in a mid-body (I have a G specifically but I'm sure if it fits in F/J it will work too)?

Can you load it in through the baggage door? Just one or can you get two in there?

Thanks!

This is a recurring theme so many good hits on searching this topic.  From brompton is likely the traditional best small folder, but there is a fantastic so it seems new on the block that I crave - the Helix which is a Ti quick folder from Canada - it is almost vaporware but they do exist.

We have a pair of Montague bikes - which are mtn bikes with full size 26'' wheels and they ride entirely like a normal mtn bike and capable of normal off road riding.  Unlike many folders that are a compromise of ride-a-bility to favor for quick fold.

https://www.montaguebikes.com

So the frame folds quickly in a way that with wheels off the frames easily go through the door.  I take the wheels off and put them in a wheel bag and that easily goes in through the passenger door - just the wheels - so overall very easy.  But not quite as quick as say a brompton.  Definitely rides better than a bromton.  I guess it depends - do you want a bike to ride 2 or 4 miles from the airport to town.  Or do you want a bike to go somewhere and do a ride?  Maybe a substantial ride.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

This is a recurring theme so many good hits on searching this topic.  From brompton is likely the traditional best small folder, but there is a fantastic so it seems new on the block that I crave - the Helix which is a Ti quick folder from Canada - it is almost vaporware but they do exist.

We have a pair of Montague bikes - which are mtn bikes with full size 26'' wheels and they ride entirely like a normal mtn bike and capable of normal off road riding.  Unlike many folders that are a compromise of ride-a-bility to favor for quick fold.

https://www.montaguebikes.com

So the frame folds quickly in a way that with wheels off the frames easily go through the door.  I take the wheels off and put them in a wheel bag and that easily goes in through the passenger door - just the wheels - so overall very easy.  But not quite as quick as say a brompton.  Definitely rides better than a bromton.  I guess it depends - do you want a bike to ride 2 or 4 miles from the airport to town.  Or do you want a bike to go somewhere and do a ride?  Maybe a substantial ride.

Eric...I have two Montagues, and love the bike, but not getting them in and out do the plane.  I have always left the rear wheel on....so it ends up in a bike bag on the seat.  I feel like one of these days I’m going to take a window out or put a dent in the wing.   So, regarding removal of the rear wheel, that the. Involves the chain and derailer, which seems to get messy when on the road.  Maybe I’m just messy, but even without wheel removal if seem to get covered in chain oil.  Any advice in this area?   I too keep looking for the holy grail in Mooney bike...

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, takair said:

Eric...I have two Montagues, and love the bike, but not getting them in and out do the plane.  I have always left the rear wheel on....so it ends up in a bike bag on the seat.  I feel like one of these days I’m going to take a window out or put a dent in the wing.   So, regarding removal of the rear wheel, that the. Involves the chain and derailer, which seems to get messy when on the road.  Maybe I’m just messy, but even without wheel removal if seem to get covered in chain oil.  Any advice in this area?   I too keep looking for the holy grail in Mooney bike...

Hi - 

You definitely want to remove the rear wheel - once you get the hang of doing that it comes off very very quickly and easily and also replaces quickly.  Both wheels into a wheel bag -

https://www.amazon.com/Padded-Double-Wheels-Separate-Compartments/dp/B005P9RA2M

And then with the rear wheel off, that frame pivots all the way around to backwards making it much small and also the handlebars rotate those so the bars are parallel to the frame.  Then you essentially have like a straight line of tubes and it goes into the rear door easily.  

Grease - definitely don't want the bike grime or chain grease in the airplane - so I put the frame (folded as I said) into a bag - you can get a special back but I just got some BBQ bags from walmart - cheap - the kind of tough out door canvas bags that you put over a BBQ, and they are like a sack you just plunk that folded frame into.  I use a bungy cord quick wrapped around the frame to keep it from wiggling inside the bag.  Then you just slip that frame into the back door.  And the wheels in the wheel bag go into the front door easily - and actually you don't even need to fold the seats forward as they go over the seats.

I have been around bikes and riding since a teenager and removing wheels for a flat is one of things that has a few tricks as to where to hold your hands to do it cleanly, no grease on your hands since you never actually touch the chain with your hand and without fuss.  Here is a video of "how to" and then another video showing how quick it can actually done by a pro (in the tour de france where they look like nascar guys changing a tire so quick you figure how'd they do that?)

So Oxford, CT - my inlaws are in Bloomfield CT and I go to KHFD sometimes - if you still need help - one of those times come by with your bike and I will help you.

Erik

 

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I just bought one off Amazon, awaiting delivery.  Don't know if it'll fit, haven't really measured to be honest.  All of the cheap ones were about the same weight and dimensions, so I just bought the cheapest.  We'll see if I can heft it, and whether it fits.  I think they said 16 inches, how wide is the baggage door?

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Hi - 

You definitely want to remove the rear wheel - once you get the hang of doing that it comes off very very quickly and easily and also replaces quickly.  Both wheels into a wheel bag -

https://www.amazon.com/Padded-Double-Wheels-Separate-Compartments/dp/B005P9RA2M

And then with the rear wheel off, that frame pivots all the way around to backwards making it much small and also the handlebars rotate those so the bars are parallel to the frame.  Then you essentially have like a straight line of tubes and it goes into the rear door easily.  

Grease - definitely don't want the bike grime or chain grease in the airplane - so I put the frame (folded as I said) into a bag - you can get a special back but I just got some BBQ bags from walmart - cheap - the kind of tough out door canvas bags that you put over a BBQ, and they are like a sack you just plunk that folded frame into.  I use a bungy cord quick wrapped around the frame to keep it from wiggling inside the bag.  Then you just slip that frame into the back door.  And the wheels in the wheel bag go into the front door easily - and actually you don't even need to fold the seats forward as they go over the seats.

I have been around bikes and riding since a teenager and removing wheels for a flat is one of things that has a few tricks as to where to hold your hands to do it cleanly, no grease on your hands since you never actually touch the chain with your hand and without fuss.  Here is a video of "how to" and then another video showing how quick it can actually done by a pro (in the tour de france where they look like nascar guys changing a tire so quick you figure how'd they do that?)

So Oxford, CT - my inlaws are in Bloomfield CT and I go to KHFD sometimes - if you still need help - one of those times come by with your bike and I will help you

I clearly don’t ride very hard, not enough flats to have any practice.  Thanks for the video, i had no clue about the derailer trick, can’t wait to try it.  Also, it is clear that cleaning the chain and gears is helpful.  Will try this over the weekend.  Recommendations on chain oil/grease?  Do any of our usual aviation things like triflo work?  I’m sure Jose will suggest WD-40...lol.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There are tradeoffs in ride quality and compactness, I have been happy with the Bromptons.  I can get them through the hatch, and I am pleased with how they ride.  While it may not ride as well as a large wheel bike, the difference on pavement is small.  I have done up to 26 miles on one, keeping a reasonable pace, and quickly forgot I was riding on tiny wheels.

I prefer bikes with hub gears instead of a derailleur.  Less adjustable and expensive hardware exposed to getting banged around. 

For us, the plane-bike combination is a great way to explore new places.  

An old used Dahon from the 80's will fit in the hatch, and can be found on craigslist for $100.  Try it.  See if you like flying then biking without the major investment.  Those old bikes are real flexi-flyers, though.  Know that new folders are much more rigid and comfortable.  

Example: https://buffalo.craigslist.org/bik/d/depew-vintage-dahon-lll-foldable-bicycle/7180878080.html  (note that the images of the "folded" bike are not completely folded)

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

after a lot of research, I purchased a Dahon EEZZ D3 and when folded it fits nicely in the cargo area through the opening w/o having to remove tire or seat...but it takes up more than 1/2 of the space so if looking to pack 2, the second one would likely have to go in the back seat.  You can use a folding bike bag to keep the grime off the seats if storing there.  For me, light weight and ease of folding was critical as well as good build and components - and the D3 hit all those requirements.   https://www.insider.com/best-folding-bike#the-best-folding-bike-for-flat-ground-2 

It is currently unavailable but hopefully will be back in stock after the Corona madness ends.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bolter said:

There are tradeoffs in ride quality and compactness, I have been happy with the Bromptons.  I can get them through the hatch, and I am pleased with how they ride.  While it may not ride as well as a large wheel bike, the difference on pavement is small.  I have done up to 26 miles on one, keeping a reasonable pace, and quickly forgot I was riding on tiny wheels.

I prefer bikes with hub gears instead of a derailleur.  Less adjustable and expensive hardware exposed to getting banged around. 

For us, the plane-bike combination is a great way to explore new places.  

An old used Dahon from the 80's will fit in the hatch, and can be found on craigslist for $100.  Try it.  See if you like flying then biking without the major investment.  Those old bikes are real flexi-flyers, though.  Know that new folders are much more rigid and comfortable.  

Example: https://buffalo.craigslist.org/bik/d/depew-vintage-dahon-lll-foldable-bicycle/7180878080.html  (note that the images of the "folded" bike are not completely folded)

Thanks! I have an older folding bike that I've put in another airplane, but not in the Mooney (partly because I don't want to put it in through the door). I'll contact the guy on Craigslist for the Dahon. You're saying it folds up more and will go through the hatch? If so, thanks so much for looking up that one in my local area. I'll see if I can buy it!

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, takair said:

Wow, very light, but a little more expensive than the Montague’s.

Seems expensive and has a short track record, 3 or 4 years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AlexLev said:

Thanks! I have an older folding bike that I've put in another airplane, but not in the Mooney (partly because I don't want to put it in through the door). I'll contact the guy on Craigslist for the Dahon. You're saying it folds up more and will go through the hatch? If so, thanks so much for looking up that one in my local area. I'll see if I can buy it!

I had the same model Dahon as my first folder, and it went through the baggage door.  The folding mechanism is clumsy and unintuitive.  There is a logic to it, nothing gets forced.  In particular that angled cross bar that connects to the bars.  If you are forcing it, try another approach.  It will make you appreciate newer folding bikes in the future :-)  Adjust clamps and lube everywhere.  If you need them. you can get new 16" tires easily on Amazon, about $25/each for name brand.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bolter said:

I had the same model Dahon as my first folder, and it went through the baggage door.  The folding mechanism is clumsy and unintuitive.  There is a logic to it, nothing gets forced.  In particular that angled cross bar that connects to the bars.  If you are forcing it, try another approach.  It will make you appreciate newer folding bikes in the future :-)  Adjust clamps and lube everywhere.  If you need them. you can get new 16" tires easily on Amazon, about $25/each for name brand.

Cool, thanks! I'll give it a try. Is it possible to fit two? Did you have to take the tires out to fit them through the baggage door?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AlexLev said:

Cool, thanks! I'll give it a try. Is it possible to fit two? Did you have to take the tires out to fit them through the baggage door?

I never tried 2 at once of that model.  Definitely went in fully assembled, just folded.  No tools or wheel removal required. 

Bigger than 16" tires, and fitting through baggage hatch can be an issue.  I have trouble with 20" wheel folding bikes.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, AlexLev said:

Thanks! I have an older folding bike that I've put in another airplane, but not in the Mooney (partly because I don't want to put it in through the door). I'll contact the guy on Craigslist for the Dahon. You're saying it folds up more and will go through the hatch? If so, thanks so much for looking up that one in my local area. I'll see if I can buy it!

It looks like a fantastic design - the fold is superb and supremely quick and easy no fuss no parts to remove or put aside, and it has 24'' wheels and the geometry looks close to normal.  I would guess it rides nicely.  Its Ti which is my favorite material for a bike - in a folder that's especially nice since it is a scratch resistant material as you don't paint it as it doesn't corrode.  and its light and make for nice shock absorption.

It is expensive - for sure - that is medium expensive in the world of bikes as 5 or 10k bikes exist.

I was watching that bike come to market as of a few years ago.

I wouldn't personally buy it without first looking at it in person which I might do at some point as the company is in Toronto.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, PTK said:

Seems expensive and has a short track record, 3 or 4 years.

It is quite expensive.  But not more expensive than most high end bikes - it is on the medium scale there.

I am less put off by a short track record for a bicycle than I would be for an expensive thing like an airplane or even avionics since a bike is just a bike - very simple.  Components are usually interchangble and widely available.  The frame can generally be repaired by any bike builder - although fewer bike builders work in Ti.

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Jeph357 said:

Not necessarily a folding bike or cheap,  but fits in the baggage door and leaves room for baggage on top

20200819_181233.jpg

20200820_054810.jpg

Those are supremely cool.  And I love your Mooney sticker on it.

I am a bit worried about carrying large lipo packs like in hover boards, electric scooters, etc in my airplane.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

I think these look really neat: https://www.helix.ca

One of these days I might buy a pair.

Three thousand dollars!!!!!  YGBKM!!!  For that money I could go out and buy a half dozen or more really nice bicycles and just stash them at my more frequent stops!  Actually, I could get a really good motorcycle for that kind of cash.  I already decided if I couldn't get something that fit for less than a couple hundred bucks I just wasn't doing it.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, steingar said:

Three thousand dollars!!!!!  YGBKM!!!  For that money I could go out and buy a half dozen or more really nice bicycles and just stash them at my more frequent stops!  Actually, I could get a really good motorcycle for that kind of cash.  I already decided if I couldn't get something that fit for less than a couple hundred bucks I just wasn't doing it.

Hahah - you know the deal. I can go to walmart and buy a junky bike for $200 - and when I pedal it hard it will literally fall apart.  In my cycling career I have broken in two no less than four cranksets.

Nice things cost money.  You can go to corner and out of the penny saver find a car for $750 and good luck it will last until you drive it home.  I bought a brand spankin' new subaru crosstrek for a little over 20k in april (my first new car in 17 years - and I got that one new 17 years ago).  Or I see people on here showing gorgeous pictures of cars costing 100k, 200k, and I know there are cars out there for 1M and more.

The bike I will be riding in about 45 min was custom built for me, a road bike, in Ti, and I got it about 15 years ago - it was about 5k then and I bet it would be >10k today.  But it lasts and it fits and its sweet and I like it.  I've gotten my money out of it.

Don't laugh, but I have owned bike wheels that cost more than that Helix bike.  I've also won some reasonably big races by seconds and its more fun to win than to get second.

I know there are folks on here I've seen who do car racing, and motorcycle racing.  How much do the racing brakes cost vs standard brakes?  How much is a race worthy motorcycle vs a cheap motorcycle I could buy from the penny saver.

Anyway nice things not only cost money, but there is sort of a jewelery aspect to nice things, where it is just lovely seeing/owning something that is just so and purpose built.

Here on Mooney space we have an interesting balance between CB and fine flying machines.  I can certainly go on eBay and buy the cheapest airplane that's on there and wonder why anyone would spend $100k or $500k or $750k on a Mooney. $7k will buy something that has wings.   https://www.ebay.com/itm/avion-ultra-leger-quad-city-challenger-2/402317012864?hash=item5dabf66f80:g:4WUAAOSw0-5eLJhE

:-)  But I know yer kidding steinger - that you have fine machines too.  Im just riffing here.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

Hahah - you know the deal. I can go to walmart and buy a junky bike for $200 - and when I pedal it hard it will literally fall apart.  In my cycling career I have broken in two no less than four cranksets.

Hey, I just want the bike to go the last mile into town.  We're not talking about olympic trials here or anything.  The only thing it has to do (other than work) is fit through the baggage door.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Hey, I just want the bike to go the last mile into town.  We're not talking about olympic trials here or anything.  The only thing it has to do (other than work) is fit through the baggage door.


I affectionately call my Allen foldables “clown bikes” as in “Hey hun, let’s not forget to pack the clown bikes”.

ef8d851f40847d5202e59cd68b0244ec.jpg




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, steingar said:

The one in the foreground looks a lot like the one I bought (that hasn't arrived yet).  Does it fit through the baggage door?

Yes. It has a storage bag that comes with it. If you don't have a storage bag, you will need find something to store it in. Like a large garbage bag or a barbecue cover. It will fold down into a very small package. Even the pedals fold.

Edited by Marauder
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.