Mooney Performance App

NotarPilot

One thing I think Mooney, as well as most GA smalls planes, needs is an app that allows you to input information just like you would on a WB app but that will also allow for other info such as altimeter setting, wind speed and direction, altitude, and temperature to give you various performance info such as take off or landing distance, rate of climb, etc.  I know this would require a lot of inputting of info but I think it would make pilots safer by encouraging them to make these performance calculations when it’s easy to do. 

I know for me trying to look at the graphs and follow the lines in the flight manual can be challenging to say the least, or especially when using the charts on my iPad.  They make an app like this for Cirrus.  We need one for Mooneys.

• Like 3

Won't Foreflight and similar apps do that as part of their performance calcs? FF is pretty useless in Europe, so I don't use it, but I imagine it would do performance as well.

Edited by tmo

1 minute ago, tmo said:

Won't Foreflight and similar apps do that as part of their performance calcs? FF is pretty useless in Europe, so I don't use it, but I imagine it would do performance as well.

I don’t know, I haven’t used FF in about 10 years so I don’t know what it does now but either way it would involve inputting a lot of information to make it work.

1 hour ago, NotarPilot said:

One thing I think Mooney, as well as most GA smalls planes, needs is an app that allows you to input information just like you would on a WB app but that will also allow for other info such as altimeter setting, wind speed and direction, altitude, and temperature to give you various performance info such as take off or landing distance, rate of climb, etc.  I know this would require a lot of inputting of info but I think it would make pilots safer by encouraging them to make these performance calculations when it’s easy to do. 

I know for me trying to look at the graphs and follow the lines in the flight manual can be challenging to say the least, or especially when using the charts on my iPad.  They make an app like this for Cirrus.  We need one for Mooneys.

Patrick (@patrickf) created an app for the Ovation which does exactly what you’re asking for. It’s a real tour de force. Here’s a link to the thread: https://mooneyspace.com/topic/27815-ovation-performance-charts-in-xl/?tab=comments#comment-458890 and a link to the app: https://oaa.app.link/Wbv8GfTJ6Q. This link might require the app Open as App.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, NotarPilot said:

I don’t know, I haven’t used FF in about 10 years so I don’t know what it does now but either way it would involve inputting a lot of information to make it work.

ForeFlight has an extensive library of aircraft performance profiles, many with TO & Landing data

https://foreflight.com/products/performance-directory/#/

-dan

• Like 1

Garmin Pilot has this, and for the J it had all the performance data, but you can override it with data of your own. So you can select altitude based on winds and your performance to give shortest flight time. There is also an Lycoming IO360 app, but I’m not sure if it’s still available, that deals with engine performance alone.
  • Like 1

This data is absolutely critical for safety of flight...

It is in our POH for a reason...

Our ability as fat fingered individuals makes it near impossible to get the answers we deserve from the data in our hands...

When an MSer works at Mooney to drive their sales direction...  :)

This type of initiative makes sense...

Put the Service back into Customer service....

+1 for being able to enter current data into an app to plug and chug T/O and landing data that matches my exact plane...

+2 for it downloading current weather and temperature to be used if I agree... I have the cell phone technology in my hands...

Thanks to MSer @patrickf for demonstrating how it can be done...

Go Mooney App!

Best regards,

-a-

On 8/26/2020 at 10:01 PM, Deb said:

Patrick (@patrickf) created an app for the Ovation which does exactly what you’re asking for. It’s a real tour de force. Here’s a link to the thread: https://mooneyspace.com/topic/27815-ovation-performance-charts-in-xl/?tab=comments#comment-458890 and a link to the app: https://oaa.app.link/Wbv8GfTJ6Q. This link might require the app Open as App.

Thanks for the shout out @Deb /Dave. You have prompted me to get back onto this again. I have been tied up getting my Instrument rating over here but finished last week so I'll get back to it and finish this job, or at least progress it. I have working versions for the 310 STC and the J's as well as some slight changes on the original which just need to be quality checked. The OpenAsApp guys have also taken on some suggestions so the data entry is easier with an option to open each time with last used values.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, patrickf said:

Thanks for the shout out @Deb /Dave. You have prompted me to get back onto this again. I have been tied up getting my Instrument rating over here but finished last week so I'll get back to it and finish this job, or at least progress it. I have working versions for the 310 STC and the J's as well as some slight changes on the original which just need to be quality checked. The OpenAsApp guys have also taken on some suggestions so the data entry is easier with an option to open each time with last used values.

Thanks Patrick and congrats on the IR. Was Erik Mol your instructor by chance?