Another Mooney Spacer Gets a LANCAIR IVPT Ride

34 minutes ago, Rusty Pilot said:

I love the Lancair and very impressive cruise speed!  Quick question regarding fuel burn- how much jet A per hour?  This would get me from Fredericksburg to the FL Keys quickly.

At altitude (FL270-FL280) 30-32 gallons an hour, depending on temperature.  Down low, not pretty.  I see 55 gallons on hour on takeoff and initial climb.  Bur at 3,500' a minute rate of climb, you start seeing the fuel burn go down pretty fast.

Tom

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

An oblique answer for you — on a round-trip flight from Baltimore to Sun n Fun in my Ovation we burned about the same number of gallons as the same flight the next year in the P46T JetProp.  

Tom,  I think I will pass on a free ride... I was in Jerry's JetProp on that trip to Sun N Fun. I still trying to figure out how to fit a PT-6 in my F. I don't need any more encouragement!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

At altitude (FL270-FL280) 30-32 gallons an hour, depending on temperature.  Down low, not pretty.  I see 55 gallons on hour on takeoff and initial climb.  Bur at 3,500' a minute rate of climb, you start seeing the fuel burn go down pretty fast.

Tom

I'm curious - how much fuel does that beast burn during taxi?

So at 55gph but 3500 that is not too different total fuel to cruise altitude than a rocket burns to get to same altitude say if you were going to 20k.

We all know the answer to that question. If you need to ask you can’t afford it.

What I was amazed to see flying in Jerry’s JetProp how much fuel becomes part of your flight planning considerations. When we left his home base, there was enough fuel to make it to Lakeland. Watching the 60 GPH consumption during the climb was almost as entertaining as watching it drop to 30 GPH at altitude.

The winds at altitude initially indicated we would need to land short to refuel but crossing a wind shift boundary, we ended up landing with 1.5 hours of fuel left. And here I was am worried about whether my CiES senders will show I need 22.8 or 22.9 gallons at fill up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

So....

How addictive is speed... and how it affects a Mooney pilot....

1) First ride In an M20C... it is so powerful compared to the trainers... I bought one.

2) First ride in the Ovation... I bought it too...

3) I had a flight with Cris in his Screamin’ Eagle...  I was safe... I would need an OH before having to consider a 310hp upgrade...

4) Next thing I knew... the ground had struck my plane while I was out of town.... and I ordered up a fancy thin prop to go with that...

5) I better start planning on building a Lancair IVPT...

What would I do if I got a ride in Tom’s plane..?

I’d be on my way to buy one like Jerry’s... 

Speed is a very expensive addiction... and a very strong driving force...

PP observations only, stuff I may have figured out on my own, after a while.....

20years of being a Mooniac... no changing the spots on this leopard...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

11 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

So at 55gph but 3500 that is not too different total fuel to cruise altitude than a rocket burns to get to same altitude say if you were going to 20k.

It burns 19 gallons an hour at idle.  Keep in mind jet engines don’t “idle” like piston engines. 

@Jerry 5TJ put it in perspective.  All my longer flights use about the same fuel as my Rocket, at a considerable faster speed, less fuel stops and using fuel that usually costs less per gallon.  That’s NOT COUNTING THE COOL FACTOR.  

Tom 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

It burns 19 gallons an hour at idle.  Keep in mind jet engines don’t “idle” like piston engines. 

@Jerry 5TJ put it in perspective.  All my longer flights use about the same fuel as my Rocket, at a considerable faster speed, less fuel stops and using fuel that usually costs less per gallon.  That’s NOT COUNTING THE COOL FACTOR.  

Tom 

Hearing this sweet sound on startup would be enough to make me forget about whatever fuel I'm burning during taxi: