Catalina lunch

xcrmckenna

3 hours ago, ragedracer1977 said:

And it's only supposed to top out at 25c next Sunday!  Talk about a swing!

I was going to fly up to Rapid City this week.   It was 103F there yesterday and they are expecting a high of 47F on Tuesday.    I think I'll wait.  ;)

Edited by EricJ
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, MikeOH said:

I think Chino airport hit 118 yesterday...today's shaping up for more of the same.

Ruined my flying this weekend...no way I'm going up in this heat.

Same here, Gillespie hit 117F yesterday, my student and I cancelled on that and we're going to try Monday/tomorrow instead. I wonder how high an altitude we'd have to get to see any relief. And to day their is Turbulence to add to the mix. Tomorrow's forecast  is still a high of 95F - hot but flyable.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, kortopates said:

Same here, Gillespie hit 117F yesterday, my student and I cancelled on that and we're going to try Monday/tomorrow instead. I wonder how high an altitude we'd have to get to see any relief. And to day their is Turbulence to add to the mix. Tomorrow's forecast  is still a high of 95F - hot but flyable.

I went up Friday when it was "cool"...100F at 4500.  SkewT shows the temp following the dry adiabat to over 15,000....looks like 6000 to 7000 should do it!:D

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, kortopates said:

Yesterday, Central Coast SMX area, 8:30 AM, pilot friends reported 95 degrees at 3K, while our ground temp. was 67.  

I went up shortly there after and discovered same.  I don’t know at what altitude temperatures became less.

Would we call that an inversion?

Just now, MooneyMitch said:

Yesterday, Central Coast SMX area, 8:30 AM, pilot friends reported 95 degrees at 3K, while our ground temp. was 67.  

I went up shortly there after and discovered same.  I don’t know at what altitude temperatures became less.

Would we call that an inversion?

DAMN!  I'd call that a freak show!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great to hear more of us showing up. Thanks for the chair idea. I will throw one or two in the plane in case someone needs one. I flew into Arlington Washington Saturday morning to have my prop Dynamically balanced and needed a sweatshirt.....:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, kortopates said:

Meanwhile, here in the sunny South we're having Chamber of Commerce cloudless blue skies with temps moderating in the 80s and humidity in the 70%s. 117° would have me lying on the floor in my underwear with the ceiling fan set for Takeoff!!

• Haha 1

Hey everyone. I have some possible devastating news. Some immediate family members have been evacuated from their home due to a forest fire. If the worst happens and they lose their home it’s not likely I will be making it to Catalina this weekend. Luckily they are safe, but their home is right in the fires path.

If you are able to make it please still show up. If I can I will be there. If not then please let me live vicariously through your joy...:)

I hope you and your families are safe!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, xcrmckenna said:

Hey everyone. I have some possible devastating news. Some immediate family members have been evacuated from their home due to a forest fire. If the worst happens and they lose their home it’s not likely I will be making it to Catalina this weekend. Luckily they are safe, but their home is right in the fires path.

If you are able to make it please still show up. If I can I will be there. If not then please let me live vicariously through your joy...:)

So sorry to hear that, glad they are safe. I hope all will be well for them. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, xcrmckenna said:

Hopefully all will turn out positive. 

• Like 1

I'm planning to attend, but I will check the air quality forecast before making a final decision. Today's accuweather forecast for Catalina is very unhealthy air, and Saturday's is, too. Sunday's is just unhealthy, not very unhealthy. The fires here continue to have a dramatic effect.

2 hours ago, Flash said:

I'm planning to attend, but I will check the air quality forecast before making a final decision. Today's accuweather forecast for Catalina is very unhealthy air, and Saturday's is, too. Sunday's is just unhealthy, not very unhealthy. The fires here continue to have a dramatic effect.

Most unfortunate for this fun excursion.:(

See if they'll give you the Coastal Route, if not just take the Special Flight Rules area over the top of LAX. If it's VFR conditions you don't even need to talk to them. 

All of those are VFR transition routes. If you're IFR you don't need to worry about a Bravo clearance ;)