Catalina lunch

xcrmckenna

For planning purposes...

10:1 makes a nice glide ratio calculation....

Glide 10mi for each mi you have in altitude... or 5,270’

Executing a perfect low drag glide, you might see 12:1

For a good life jacket recommendation... See Richard, who got the advice from Andrew...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/31/2020 at 5:42 PM, carusoam said:

For planning purposes...

10:1 makes a nice glide ratio calculation....

Glide 10mi for each mi you have in altitude... or 5,270’

Executing a perfect low drag glide, you might see 12:1

For a good life jacket recommendation... See Richard, who got the advice from Andrew...

Best regards,

-a-

That's one way, but does your brain really work like that - and I don't mean that with any disrespect at all - because we all work/think differently.

But in my little brain its very simple - 2.1 NM for every 1000' AGL. Some of Mooney's though are only 1.9 NM for every 1000' agl but 2 nm for every 1000' AGL is a good approximation when not on the edge.

Then there are the range rings for a quick picture - supported in both FF and GP.

Now I am one of those that followed Richards & Andrews recommendation on the jackets.

update - but in the D converted C, I am pretty sure the glide ratio evaporates over water to just  1:1! :)

Edited by kortopates
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, kortopates said:

That's one way, but does your brain really work like that - and I don't mean that with any disrespect at all - because we all work/think differently.

But in my little brain its very simple - 2.1 NM for every 1000' AGL. Some of Mooney's though are only 1.9 NM for every 1000' agl but 2 nm for every 1000' AGL is a good approximation when not on the edge.

Then there are the range rings for a quick picture - supported in both FF and GP.

Now I am one of those that followed Richards & Andrews recommendation on the jackets.

update - but in the D converted C, I am pretty sure the glide ratio evaporates over water to just  1:1! :)

Yikes!! :o...................maybe I should start thinking about some the airframe mods. Mooney is going to produce !:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, kortopates said:

Paul,

there are essentially two problems with this rough math...

1) Calculating how far the glider is going to go...

2) Determining how far away that field over there is....

That’s two good reasons to not pass up a good landing spot...

+1 for the automated glide rings... and a suitable field pictured within the ring...

Fortunately,

For this discussion... 

Its is probably important to know how long we will be aloft...

We can descend at best glide ratio... near 1k’pm... 10min from 10k’

Saving that last 1k’ to select the best spot... near a boat, into the wind, with the waves (not across them)...

I have been briefed only twice for water landings... there are so many details to get right... :) (Thanks to Andrew and 201er)

No prizes awarded for being too early, Or forgetting to tie the boat to something...

PP thoughts only, not a sea plane pilot...

Best regards,

-a-

Is there an rsvp list so the cafe knows we are coming?  How much are hotel rooms and where are folks staying?  

Hey Glenn, we are shooting for 11:30. I will be there about 9 just to greet everyone. I will let DC-3 and the tower know with a better number. No RSVP list just hope to see you there. There are five of us staying at The Catalina Inn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, kortopates said:

Or you could go for the most unique Mooney - and put on some nice new Mooney Floats!!!

Hey, now that's a great idea!  More airframe enhancment marketing ideas for the new Mooney Dreamteam!! 

How would floats work out with the retractable gear though? Hmmmm.

Seriously though, I'm reaching out to some of my sailing friends that might be able to help me with a life raft............hope springs eternal!!  :D

24 minutes ago, MooneyMitch said:

Seriously though, I'm reaching out to some of my sailing friends that might be able to help me with a life raft............hope springs eternal!!  :D

To minimize exposure, fly the Coast transition down to Torrance and then cross the channel at that shortest crossing.  I've done it direct from VTU VOR several times, but ts much longer with out all the pleasure craft. Although its not isolated, just not boats everywhere plus there is the very good chance for a marine layer below you.  But from Palos Verdes , if the worst happened there are so many boats to pick from that your time in the water will be minimal even if had the marine layer below you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, kortopates said:

To minimize exposure, fly the Coast transition down to Torrance and then cross the channel at that shortest crossing.  I've done it direct from VTU VOR several times, but ts much longer with out all the pleasure craft. Although its not isolated, just not boats everywhere plus there is the very good chance for a marine layer below you.  But from Palos Verdes , if the worst happened there are so many boats to pick from that your time in the water will be minimal even if had the marine layer below you.

Yep, that’s my plan.... “26 miles across the sea” ya know!

Scored a life raft and a vest from a sail boat friend! Got my SPOT, weather permitting, I’m there ! 

Whoops, now to find a little plastic baggie for my iPhone 6S!! :lol:

• Like 4

Yep, that’s my plan.... “26 miles across the sea” ya know!
Scored a life raft and a vest from a sail boat friend! Got my SPOT, weather permitting, I’m there ! 
Whoops, now to find a little plastic baggie for my iPhone 6S!! :lol:

Looking forward to seeing you there...

• Like 1

Any news on having the annual finished up in time for lunch?

Any news on having the annual finished up in time for lunch?

No, but some friends have offered us a ride in their J. So expecting to join if all works out! We’ll be 4.

Thanks.

After all, got to see your twin and Mitch arrive in the raft.

Now if we could just get Anthony to glide in from NJ!

default_wink.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

No, but some friends have offered us a ride in their J. So expecting to join if all works out! We’ll be 4.
Thanks.
After all, got to see your twin and Mitch arrive in the raft.
Now if we could just get Anthony to glide in from NJ!
default_wink.png

Lol, I’ll buy Anthony’s burger if he makes it:) look forward to seeing you!

• Like 2

On 8/25/2020 at 8:26 AM, kortopates said:

Nice, but I expect I still be in annual starting in September :(

The Restaurant has lots of patio dining. Those not spending the night can take a hike around and below the perimeter of the airport to pet the Buffalo and work off your lunch. Hint - don't let on what you had for lunch!

Be careful when you pet the Buffalo.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Is there an rsvp list so the cafe knows we are coming?  How much are hotel rooms and where are folks staying?  

It’s planned as just a day trip for lunch at the airport...etc. There is camping available at the airport and no charge for landing if you are an aero club member. It’s a great value and supports the conservancy who maintains the airport and other facilities. Numerous hotels in the island as well.

My wife and I plan on being there.  We were just there yesterday.  Thought we'd get out of the Phoenix heat.  We were mostly wrong.  :lol:

It was 100 there.  Not as bad as 115 but pretty warm by Catalina standards.  

The runway is much improved, though still awful bumpy.  Be aware, you will be parking in dirt/gravel.  Bring your tow bar, you'll want to shut down on the pavement and then push back into the dirt, reverse when you leave.  You don't want to start up in the dirt.  

The bees were out of control on the whole island.  It's 2020.  Everything is worse.  :P

They are "friendly" bees at least.  Not aggressive in any way.  The restaurant is running full steam ahead, only outside tables, and seating is somewhat limited.  If you can bring a camp chair, it might not be a bad idea.

Be sure to visit the unicom "tower" to pay your landing fee.  $35 cash or card, exact change preferred.  Masks are required inside the restaurant, but you can take them off outside and/or when eating.  

• Like 2