Catalina lunch

xcrmckenna

Nice, but I expect I still be in annual starting in September
The Restaurant has lots of patio dining. Those not spending the night can take a hike around and below the perimeter of the airport to pet the Buffalo and work off your lunch. Hint - don't let on what you had for lunch!

Well if you get out of annual what better way to test everything with a long water crossing...:) I’ll be in Vegas till the 16th if you do finish up and want to meet in Lake Havasu again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

that's only 1864nm direct from here.

I did an 1889nm trip from Oregon to New York last month. Was in Penn Yan for 25 hours then went back to Oregon. Took 30.7 hours round trip. Challenge if you except, I’ll buy you lunch.....:)

• Like 2

This is a definitely a strong possibility!  I don't have a raft though...............hmmmm.

Hey make it happen...:) And you don’t need a raft if you done lose an engine.... See you there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thinwing said:

Yeah ,I do that a lot ,we had really crappy reception growin up in Alaska....we never got the words quite right.

You’re not alone........ many, many times over my lifetime as a professional musician, I’ve discovered much later on, a song lyric was not what I thought it was, sometimes even performing a tune singing the incorrect words :blink:.........example........

the tune titled Blinded By the Light .......I thought part of the lyrics were“dressed up like a douche, in the middle of the night”. For the life of me, I could never figure out what the heck that meant :lol:.  

Finally, I became un-lazy enough to look up the lyrics only to discover the correct words “dressed unlike a deuce, another runner in the night”........just one example for me..... ha, ha, funny, funny!! 

Anyway, we can discuss this at Catalina, unless the sharks get me before I get there !!! :(

I'm interested in going. Those in the caravan from North Las Vegas, what time are you leaving?

Great! I want to leave early enough to be in Catalina by 9. As we get closer I will let you know the planned departure.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, thinwing said:

Yeah ,I do that a lot ,we had really crappy reception growin up in Alaska....we never got the words quite right.

You are not alone.  This website catalogs the classic errors for you:  https://www.kissthisguy.com/

The name is based on common Hendrix mishear... "excuse me, while kiss this guy"

FYI: https://www.kissthisguy.com/wrapped-up-like-a-deuce-in-the-rotor-of-misheard-44279.htm claims it is "Revved up like a deuce another runner in the night"

On 8/25/2020 at 2:10 PM, MooneyMitch said:

“26 miles across the sea, Santa Catalina is awaitin’ for me, Santa Catalina, the island of romance”...... I personally don’t think petting Buffalo is very romantic!:(, but it’ll be fun to fly over and land on the new runway!:D

10 minutes of pucker time over the ocean blue...... yikes!  :blink:

No need to pucker. If you need to ditch just aim for the biggest boat and your pick-up ride will be waiting right there.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I am trying to remember the details on Catalina ditchings, my recollection is that in all the years till recently we never lost a plane over the channel enroute to or from Catalina and the one plane that did go down not all that long ago was a C172 on a suicide mission. But there may have been one ditching - but I think what I am recalling was a plane that went down off shore that had nothing to do with going to Catalina. 

Here is one true story from a few years ago that was an honorable Darwin Pilot award  mention. A very young and brand new commercial pilot rented a C172 and took a couple of his pilot school buddies up from San Diego area to Orange county or LA area, for something of a celebratory flight. On the way back a few miles off the coast the pilot  decides he's going to demonstrate a Spin to his buddies. At what seems like a safe altitude he performs a spin, but the pilot didn't take into account he was over a thick marine layer and was quickly IMC before he could recover. Sadly the plane fell out of the sky, into the Pacific observed by a nearby boat that quickly steered towards the impact zone. The only survivor, Mr Lucky was sitting in the back seat, the impact killed the two front seat pilot and co-pilot and broke one or both femurs of the rear seat pax. Pretty certain he too would have drowned if he had to get past the front seat guys and out one of the doors, but the impact blew out the rear window now above the rear seat pax. So once he was unbuckled he was able to pull him self up through the rear window and get to the surface where he was pulled out of the water by the nearby boat that saw them go in. You can't make up stuff like this.

So overall the stats are really good that if one avoids Kamikaze suicide dives and Spins over an overcast layer, that its very unlikely to go down in the channel - with the far greater danger with landing and departure from the AVX airport where there has been a number of accidents.

Edited by kortopates
  • Like 3

Thanks to all for the information.  I’m just having some fun with all this......:D  All seriousness aside here......weather permitting, I’m looking forward to flying Catalina over shark infested waters with no life raft or ocean survival equipment on board, and if I have to.......crashing into the sea near the closest boat!  :o

The C172 crash.....Regardless, as much as we try to fix stupid and legislate trying to fix stupid, it’s impossible! :(

• Like 1