Catalina lunch

xcrmckenna

Clear your schedule and come to Catalina September 13th for a Buffalo burger or a salad...:) Some of us will be flying formation to the island, if you are interested let me know. I’ll be flying out of North Las Vegas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Is this near the airport or do you need to take the van into town?

-Robert 

They have a restaurant at the airport. Some of us will be spending the night and going into town.

Nice, but I expect I still be in annual starting in September :(

The Restaurant has lots of patio dining. Those not spending the night can take a hike around and below the perimeter of the airport to pet the Buffalo and work off your lunch. Hint - don't let on what you had for lunch!

Edited by kortopates
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

8 hours ago, xcrmckenna said:

Clear your schedule and come to Catalina September 13th for a Buffalo burger or a salad...:) Some of us will be flying formation to the island, if you are interested let me know. I’ll be flying out of North Las Vegas.

I put it on the calendar.

• Like 2

“26 miles across the sea, Santa Catalina is awaitin’ for me, Santa Catalina, the island of romance”...... I personally don’t think petting Buffalo is very romantic!:(, but it’ll be fun to fly over and land on the new runway!:D

10 minutes of pucker time over the ocean blue...... yikes!  :blink:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MooneyMitch said:

“26 miles across the sea, Santa Catalina is awaitin’ for me, Santa Catalina, the island of romance”...... I personally don’t think petting Buffalo is very romantic!:(, but it’ll be fun to fly over and land on the new runway!:D

10 minutes of pucker time over the ocean blue...... yikes!  :blink:

Just be ready, the runway is new and doesn't have any patched up pot holes, but it is still bumpy....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

New runway but still bumpy.  I think they used a 6" level to level the runway.   Taxiway is very bumpy if you taxi fast you could have a prop strike.   Also the restaurant had a lot of bees flying around on the patio when I was there.  Bring your bee keeper suit or bug spray:)

• Sad 1

Just now, MooneyMitch said:

Ya think I’d get a Bravo airspace clearance on a Sunday? Fat chance I’ll bet .....:o

See if they'll give you the Coastal Route, if not just take the Special Flight Rules area over the top of LAX. If it's VFR conditions you don't even need to talk to them. :)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

See if they'll give you the Coastal Route, if not just take the Special Flight Rules area over the top of LAX. If it's VFR conditions you don't even need to talk to them. :)

Yeppers :D  I’m a BIG fan of flight  following !! :)

1 hour ago, Skates97 said:

Alternatively, you could fly over the Bravo, descend once clear, and always be within glide distance of land.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Skates97 said:

If on flight following they’ll ask which transition through the Bravo you want as you approach the airspace.  Coming from Pismo he can probably get the coastal route without much problem if he asks, as you suggest.  Special flight rules would require a descent to 3500’, which seems like an unnecessary waste of gas and altitude, the kind of thing ATC usually helps us try to avoid.

Just now, Seth said:

Really? I figured it would be smooth now. Why is it still bumpy?

-Seth

Well....this was a bit of a 'you get what you didn't pay for" kind of thing.  IIRC, it was a "training" exercise for the Marines & Seabees...a bargain, if you will.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Skates97 said:

Most of the times in my life I’ve unexpectedly seen the whites of the eyes of another pilot have been in that route. Maybe better Now with ads-b

-Robert