Teach me about audio panels

Currently have a GMA340.  I have a GDL69A with Siriusxm audio controlled by a G500.  
In its current configuration, the xm audio is sorta worthless.  Every time ATC talks, the music completely mutes.  In comparison, if I send Bluetooth music to my light speed headset, the music just attenuates, but it’s still there.

what audio panel can I install that will allow me to attenuate the music instead of muting it? And will there be wiring changes needed or just slide in a PMA450B or a GMA345?  I’ve played with a 345, but I have no idea of it will do what I want.  Or the 450B for that matter.  The 345 is considerably less expensive, but if it doesn’t “fix” my issue....

Brice,

Good news...

I see the words soft muted when...

https://static.garmin.com/pumac/GMA340AudioPanel_PilotsGuide.pdf

I only read a few pages on the way to intercom...

So... I am only guessing what soft muting actually means...

Let us know if you need/want additional info... I can always read a few more pages, more closely...

The PMA450B would be the ultimate audio panel... but not a perfect match for going All big G...

Best regards,

-a-

58 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Brice,

Good news...

I see the words soft muted when...

https://static.garmin.com/pumac/GMA340AudioPanel_PilotsGuide.pdf

I only read a few pages on the way to intercom...

So... I am only guessing what soft muting actually means...

Let us know if you need/want additional info... I can always read a few more pages, more closely...

The PMA450B would be the ultimate audio panel... but not a perfect match for going All big G...

Best regards,

-a-

Yeah, it says that, but it's not true.  It completely mutes it

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, chriscalandro said:

There should be a dip switch or software setting for it. Do you know what input it is?

I don't.  I could figure it out probably.  

Theres a switch for ICS mute (mutes music when passengers talk).  That works.  But still mutes when ATC talks

1 hour ago, ragedracer1977 said:

Currently have a GMA340.  I have a GDL69A with Siriusxm audio controlled by a G500.  
In its current configuration, the xm audio is sorta worthless.  Every time ATC talks, the music completely mutes.  In comparison, if I send Bluetooth music to my light speed headset, the music just attenuates, but it’s still there.

what audio panel can I install that will allow me to attenuate the music instead of muting it? And will there be wiring changes needed or just slide in a PMA450B or a GMA345?  I’ve played with a 345, but I have no idea of it will do what I want.  Or the 450B for that matter.  The 345 is considerably less expensive, but if it doesn’t “fix” my issue....

The PMA450B is very configurable, but I've always had mine set up to mute on radio, and it mutes the music completely during radio reception in that mode.   According to the manual you can configure to mute on radio, intercom, both, or not at all.   There are two wired music inputs and with the B two BT inputs, so potentially four music sources and you can route them around however you want.   I think I figured out at one point that each pax can listen to any of the four sources, and all four can be different it desired.  You can wire override switches to the pax locations so they can override the mute settings to their headsets.  

I don't see a capability for partial muting on radio, though.   FWIW, it took me very little time to adapt to the music muting completely on radio input, and I actually find that method preferable now.   It's kind of an auto-attention-direct.   Sucks when the Payson traffic keeps interrupting the flow, though.   ;)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, EricJ said:

The PMA450B is very configurable, but I've always had mine set up to mute on radio, and it mutes the music completely during radio reception in that mode.   According to the manual you can configure to mute on radio, intercom, both, or not at all.   There are two wired music inputs and with the B two BT inputs, so potentially four music sources and you can route them around however you want.   I think I figured out at one point that each pax can listen to any of the four sources, and all four can be different it desired.  You can wire override switches to the pax locations so they can override the mute settings to their headsets.  

I don't see a capability for partial muting on radio, though.   FWIW, it took me very little time to adapt to the music muting completely on radio input, and I actually find that method preferable now.   It's kind of an auto-attention-direct.   Sucks when the Payson traffic keeps interrupting the flow, though.   ;)

It doesn't bother me so much, except in "busy" areas.  You'll be on flight following and atc is talking to 30 airliners.  Every other word is muted on the music.  It's irritating lol

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ragedracer1977 said:

Anything from PS Engineering (especially the PMA-450B) is really the cats meow in audio panels.  Superior to Garmin in many ways, they're affordable and extremely well-supported.

Inviting @Mscheuer to speak from the horse's mouth...so to speak.  :-)

Mark - thoughts?

• Like 2

Looking through the manual music 1 mutes with radios. Music 2 looks like it doesn’t. 

repin 1 to 2

I couldn’t find what you’re referencing. I did see where you can add a switch to disable muting if using the intercom for the passengers. Pilot can enable this mode as well for both 1&2...it’s called Karaoke mode.

20 hours ago, chriscalandro said:

For the record I have the 345. If I did it again I’d get the pma450b

So if I understand correctly, the 345 will soft mute the music?  I just ordered one as part of a larger upgrade and since I'm getting all Garmin equipment.

17 minutes ago, chriscalandro said:

I believe the 345 you can set it. It’s either a dip switch or a software setting

Thanks, I also just confirmed with my installer that you can set it for mute or soft mute.  This was driving my decision on whether to add XM to my installation.  I think I’ll go ahead with it based on this.

Thank you Steven for your invitation. Regarding “Softmute”, PS Engineering Trade Marked the name in 1992 when we introduced the PM3000 intercom. The word “Softmute” actually was coined by Marc Cook, at that time, a writer for AOPA.

it refers to the slow return of the music once it is muted. While we have legal rights to patent 4,941,187 (now expired) we wanted to give the pilot even more flexibility of music by being able to turn muting off completely. We call that the Karaoke Mode”. I often will place my tunes in the background with the aircraft radio in the foreground. This works perfectly for me, especially when I’m being bounced around in IMC, it helps to take the edge off.

The GMA345 only allow the selection of music that everyone hears, this is accomplished by pressing the SEL button. Everyone can her Bluetooth, Music 1, or Music 2. There is a switch in the rear right side of the unit which, when switched, allows the passengers to always hear music 2. So in fact, it does not have music distribution, as far as I know.

The PMA8000 series provides much more flexibility for music distribution while the PMA450B can do just about anything.

IMHO, unless the pilot wants to use GARMIN’s Telligence with the GTN series, or doesn’t have room for stand alone audio panel, I personally can’t think of a single reason why to go with any other audio panel than one of ours.

And I’m trying very hard to be objective!  :)

I’ll be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Mark Scheuer

PS Engineering

Edited by Mscheuer
Changed Mark to Marc and added “or doesn’t have room for a stand alone audio panel”
  • Like 3

On 8/25/2020 at 12:44 AM, carusoam said:

.The PMA450B would be the ultimate audio panel... but not a perfect match for going All big G...

Best regards,

Out of curiosity, besides the name on the panel, what doesn’t match?

Mark Scheuer

PS Engineering

On 8/27/2020 at 11:02 AM, Davidv said:

Thanks, I also just confirmed with my installer that you can set it for mute or soft mute.  This was driving my decision on whether to add XM to my installation.  I think I’ll go ahead with it based on this.

Better triple check @Davidv 

Edited by Mscheuer

1 minute ago, Mscheuer said:

Out of curiosity, besides the name on the panel, what doesn’t match?

Mark Scheuer

PS Engineering

Mark,

Let me see if I can clear that statement up a bit...

For those people that insist on having an all Garmin panel... Something other than Garmin in the panel is a mis-match for them...

Unfortunately, they miss out on having the best audio solution this way...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Mark,
Let me see if I can clear that statement up a bit...

For those people that insist on having an all Garmin panel... Something other than Garmin in the panel is a mis-match for them...
Unfortunately, they miss out on having the best audio solution this way...
Best regards,
-a-

I have the 450, great box, but Garmin does have the Telligence technology.