Lazy 8s in a M20E

Working to master my commercial maneuvers and having difficulty with consistency in the lazy 8s. Everything else seems consistent. I typically do these at 2500 rpm, 18”, and 132mph.  What do you recommend for consistency? I’ve seen all the YouTube vids. Perhaps there’s one that fits best for a Mooney. Thanks!

All commercial maneuvers are about planning and adapting.  Look at where are you at 45 degrees; adapt to be at the right point at 90 and 135 and 180.  For me, that meant changing pitch and bank angle to get to where I needed to be.  I seem to remember doing them (in an F) at 18”, 2500 rpm, but ~120 mph (but also typically at 9500’).  

My commercial instructor always said that if a lazy 8 wasn’t boring, I was doing it wrong!

• Like 1

Forget about the traditional 45, 90 and 135* points. Find a long, straight road and just use that as your visual reference. So much easier for me, but I’m in the flatlands. Maybe if u have huge mountain peaks off on the horizon to reference, fine, but using a road makes it super easy. Then just keep doing them, back and forth, all the way down the road.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yourpilotincommand said:

Working to master my commercial maneuvers and having difficulty with consistency in the lazy 8s. Everything else seems consistent. I typically do these at 2500 rpm, 18”, and 132mph.  What do you recommend for consistency? I’ve seen all the YouTube vids. Perhaps there’s one that fits best for a Mooney. Thanks!

Have you watched this one? There are some great CFI's here on the board that may have other pointers, but I found his method here to be simple and the plane really flies the maneuver on it's own.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

Have you watched this one? There are some great CFI's here on the board that may have other pointers, but I found his method here to be simple and the plane really flies the maneuver on it's own.

That video really helped me when I was going for my CPL.

• Like 1