G-1000 & S-TEC 3100 - Redux

Jeff_S

Not to restart a bad memory or anything, but I just noticed that the Epic E1000 turbo prop was certified with a Garmin G1000NXi and an S-TEC 3100 A/P.  Hmm...so for the right incentive, Garmin will still play the game!  And both the PFDs on the model shown in Flying magazine show the lack of GFC700 control buttons that are familiar to many of us in our older G1000 planes.  So they are still making those screens.

Is it about time to hit up Genesys again and see if they want to renew certification for the Mooney?

• Like 2

Not to restart a bad memory or anything, but I just noticed that the Epic E1000 turbo prop was certified with a Garmin G1000NXi and an S-TEC 3100 A/P.  Hmm...so for the right incentive, Garmin will still play the game!  And both the PFDs on the model shown in Flying magazine show the lack of GFC700 control buttons that are familiar to many of us in our older G1000 planes.  So they are still making those screens.
Is it about time to hit up Genesys again and see if they want to renew certification for the Mooney?

I’m done with trying to get Genesys to look at the Mooney series. I sent a couple of emails to Jamie Luster to say how there was a large population of STEC products installed in Mooneys and it should be considered for certification. She never had the basic decency to even acknowledge my emails.

3d32f38104f69ca033d2caafe449a6c1.png

https://genesys-aerosystems.com/management-team/jamie-luster

Maybe if we camped out in front of her house she would listen.

4e764e2b2d5b18c7498ccbb1311a91dd.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Haha 1

Hmmmm...

Mooney Pilot vs. Mooney owner... :)

I found it interesting that STEC would poll potential customers regarding their interest... to the depth they went...

Was that a PO with a cancelation clause?

I have a hard time buying things without a solid reference...

If I wanted their AP, I would still have to see it installed in a similar Mooney to mine...

Having DonKaye give a Positive pirep gives me the ability To move forward on something like this... (he went with the G500?)

That still requires a few more steps...

1) I would still have to have the need for a new AP...

2) I would need the AMUs to spend on the AP...

3) I would need to have the clarity of what happens if something changes... would I get stuck not being able to cancel that PO?  Was their a surprise cost for that coming?

There was solid interest among MSers... as there is now for the Big G AP...

This has a negative image associated with it...

The company ties consumer cash available, to their marketing plan... and it becomes the customer’s fault for not being able to commit...

So much of this challenge depends on the marketing skill of the equipment supplier... it isn’t that hard to know your customer without asking some questions privately...

Who knows AP manufacturing better than the existing AP manufacturers..?

Who knows STEC systems better than STEC owners?

How many STEC owners were looking for an upgrade?

This just looks like a cover story of a company that is so small they don’t have the resources to build brackets, and write documents...

It isn’t really writing a new document... re write the old documents and fill in the tables for the different aircraft...

This was just a silly method of approaching a smaller market...

The number of Mooneys is limited by number airframes ever built... not by the size of the pilot’s wallet...

Rule #1 for a sales and marketing guy... know your customer...

Don’t drive customers away by showing them you don’t know, or care about them...

Definitely, don’t do it in public, with an infinite record... 

There was solid interest shown by MSers... an amazing amount If there were only three....

I think my buddy Cris was looking for an upgrade to his Stec for his Screamin’ Eagle... perfect customer for Stec... He couldn’t wait THAT long...

The STEC AP looks like a solid device... they would do better In sales, if they placed more of their APs in actual planes...

Making sales requires getting the STC documents in place...  imagine having the STC team being part of the sales team... a dotted line responsibility...   :)

Good luck with that program...

Best regards,

-a-

I think it’s a really nice system and would be a perfect upgrade to the stec 50 in my C. However, the big spenders are going to go Garmin and the savers are waiting for TT.  The small portion of owners left might get a dynon if they’re starting from scratch or an stec if they can upgrade the current unit in the plane. I’d say new sales 3100 are out of touch for Mooney budgets and the percentage of planes with current stec units is small. After trying for months they couldn’t even get 10 or 15 orders. 

I don't think it changes my original assertion at the top of this thread, but for clarity I will correct my writing and state that the Epic was certified with the S-TEC 2100, not the 3100. Still, I'm guessing that the fundamental software is the same, and they can make it work with a G1000 NXi so there don't seem to be any technical barriers.  It's all about economics, as we've seen before.  Sigh...