Tortoise rescue!

steingar

The tortoise in the back is Ruby, my new addition. Hopefully a girlfriend for my boy Rosie, who is in the foreground. Wednesday I flew OSU to ABE to pick her up. 3 hours and 22=gallons of avgas. I love my Mooney! The folks at ABE were pretty chuffed to have a tortoise in their midst. Had to stay low flying back, Ruby was in the luggage bay and I didn’t want her to get too cold. Got beat up good by the turbulence. Got cleared straight through the Pittsburg Bravo. First time in 20 years I’ve been cleared through a Bravo without being vectored halfway out of it.

A7BE78D7-8C37-4DAA-8373-51EF3101D4EC.jpeg

• Like 2

Those look cool!  I could probably get you a couple more if you feel like flying to KDPA.  My next door neighbor is trying to rehome two small tortoises.  He asked if I want them but I’m already taking care of a bunch of pets my kids have and my wife’s chickens.  No more animals at this house.  

5 hours ago, Nick Pilotte said:

Those look cool!  I could probably get you a couple more if you feel like flying to KDPA.  My next door neighbor is trying to rehome two small tortoises.  He asked if I want them but I’m already taking care of a bunch of pets my kids have and my wife’s chickens.  No more animals at this house.  

I'd be happy to fly there to pick them up. If they're South American Redfoots I will definitely do so.  If they're a different species I need to know what, so I can make certain I have space for them.

5 hours ago, steingar said:

I'd be happy to fly there to pick them up. If they're South American Redfoots I will definitely do so.  If they're a different species I need to know what, so I can make certain I have space for them.

I’m finding out.  Will let you know. 

21 hours ago, steingar said:

If Stein falls through, my wife would love them. 

Yeah, sorry too much tortoise for the room I got.  I promise someone will want them.  An ad on the local Craigslist will probably see them rehomed, the other thought is there are tortoise forums on Facebook (I know, I know, but I think there are forums for everything on FB).  They can also be advertised there.  Russians are really nice tortoises and fairly easy to keep, they haven't the humidity requirements of my Redfoots.  Had I more space I'd take them happily, but I won't take anything I can't properly care for.  They can't live with my Redfoot tortoises.

I worry a bit about Ruby, her shell seems a bit deformed from the pyramiding.  But she's settling into life with Rosie, eating well and making good use her enclosure.  Only worry I have left is I haven't seen her poo.  Probably a weird thing to talk about, but I do want to check for parasitemia, however unlikely.  I'm really glad I can provide a good home for her.

• 4 months later...

Sorry to necropost, but I did it again. OSU to LRP and back for little nameless (can’t yet determine sex). About 40 minutes up, 30 back, and my first night flight in years. Let’s hear it for headlights. On the way out I had to stay below controlled airspace, at 25 squared I saw 160 mph. Same thing on the way back. All out of a little O360. Gotta love a Mooney. I cruised in the yellow all the way there and back at about 75% power. I don’t think there’s another airplane that’ll do it, except a couple experimentals.

I was really concerned about the cold. I do love my Mooney, but it’s heater seems to be more of an aspiration.  So I adhered a few hand warmers to the bottom of a bin, sealed it closed and covered it with blankets. Worked like a charm, nameless is in its enclosure and appears to be doing very well.

6BBCB11B-DAF5-4287-A8FD-723D5F6A2F6A.jpeg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Nick Pilotte said:

You sure you don’t want a pair of Russians? They’d probably be happy with riding in a cold Mooney over an Antonov.

Sorry, got. no room for them.  Another year and nameless can go in with the other tortoises.  Shouldn't be too hard to rehome Russian tortoises.  They're very popular and not as large as my Redfoots. Craigslist is your friend, and Facebook if that doesn't work.

And everyone, do keep in mind that tortoises actually make really good pets.  They're very low key, but they're responsive and easily fed, since they mostly eat the same stuff as us.  And of course if you do things right you don't have to worry about outliving your pet...

Speaking of long lived, the oldest living land animal is Jonathan the Tortoise, a Seychelles Island giant tortoise who is 188.

• Like 2

On 1/13/2021 at 10:10 AM, Mcstealth said:

My wife had one growing up. She would love it. 

If you are interested in Russians, my neighbor still has a pair.  They have had no luck rehoming them via Book of faces.  However I am in the west Chicago burbs and that’s a long way from Kerrville. Let me know.