long body ovation with GFC500

flysamo

GFC 500 conversion for long body is scheduled in 3 weeks, good BK 150. Garmin is making conversion parts available for ovation, but not sure when parts are available for install, plenty of J 's have been converted but long body's are just starting.

Was trying to decide on GFC yaw damper, after flying in turbulence's and watching the tail wiggle and ball going back and forth on the G275 for an hour going without yaw damper. cost for yaw servo $1320 and install kit $795. so here we go. We are now just about complete Garmin equipped. G275 units, GNX750 xi, and GFC 500.

I was looking at this thinking there was a recent discussion about it and realized you started it.  My personal opinion, you are that far into it, if it’s less than 4AMU I’d do it.  It may not be necessary but if it’s in the jets I’ve ridden up front in, then it can’t hurt to have.  

I was looking at this thinking there was a recent discussion about it and realized you started it.  My personal opinion, you are that far into it, if it’s less than 4AMU I’d do it.  It may not be necessary but if it’s in the jets I’ve ridden up front in, then it can’t hurt to have.  

Jets have them in large part because of the undesirable characteristics of swept wings like Dutch roll... which doesn’t apply to a Mooney. That said it will be interesting to get a review...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can afford to own the Ovation, you can certainly afford to have the GFC 500 YD.  You'll be happy you got it.  It's a small price to pay for a smoother ride in turbulence.  BTW, Garmin has had the GFC 500 out for the long body for over a year and a half.  I've had mine for over a year and know of a number of long body owners who have installed it.

As opposed to some other YD, the Garmin unit takes inputs from multiple sources to damp yaw.  From my AFMS:

Optional Yaw Damper (YD) — The yaw servo provides Dutch roll damping and turn coordination in response to yaw rate, roll angle, lateral acceleration, and airspeed.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gsengle said:

Jets have them in large part because of the undesirable characteristics of swept wings like Dutch roll... which doesn’t apply to a Mooney. That said it will be interesting to get a review...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I should have added that I’ve been in straight(ish) wing Citations. 

• 2 years later...
32 minutes ago, Chris B. said:

We're getting ready to install a G3x and GFC500 in our Ovation. Avionics guy is saying the rudder trim motor and rudder trim rocker switch comes out with the YD install. That confuses me as to how we will adjust rudder trim for take off? 

No, that is not how mine or others have been configured.  The rudder trim stays.  It is used as before and it has to be set for each phase of flight.  The correct "switchology" (to my understanding) is to disable the YD as you move from one phase of flight to another, use the rudder trim to center the "ball" (now a triangle on any EAI), then re engage the YD.  

• Like 1

I have learned to turn the yaw damper off before changing phase of flight, that way, the motors are not fighting against each other, and you won’t forget to set the rudder trim, because the yaw damper is compensating

• Like 1

I just had the GFC500 installed on an Eagle 2 without YD (the Eagle 2 does  have electric rudder trim) and I don’t see a need for a YD.  Of course, I upgraded from an Stec 30 (which I believe to be a solid basic AP), so I’m still enthralled by simple things such as altitude preselect.  

Next question. For those of you with the GFC500 YD on a long body, is it worth it? 

Anyone who just spent the extra money for a yaw damper is going to tell you it’s worth it.
Next time you’re in turbulence, look at the ball, on a J it moves but stays within a narrow range (less than +/- 1 ball width).

Anyone who tries to talk you out of the yaw damper hasn't been in turbulence significant enough to warrant one.  I have.  The yaw damper is worth the extra cost, and it's not just because I have one.  I had one afternoon flight between Lordsburg, NM and Demming, NM where even with the yaw  damper the flight was rough with moderate to severe turbulence.  Without the yaw damper it would have been a lot worse.  Even on a normal flight there is comfort in knowing it is there to soften the blows.

• Like 2

We got the rigging question answered from Garmin today. We are moving forward with the install, including the YD. In the grand scheme of things, the added cost is negligible. It's one of those things that if we don't do it now, we'll never go back and do it. 

Art - you make a good point. Our Malibu had it and we all swore it was necessary. My buddy's Malibu doesn't have it, and he doesn't think it's necessary. His wife rides in the back and has never complained. That's his test. I don't ride in the back of planes, so for me it's not necessary. My wife rides in the WAY back of the 421 and has never complained. Maybe that's my test also.

I did cycle the YD (421) on and off yesterday during a bumpy descent and the difference was noticeable. Since the 421 is our people hauling machine, it makes more sense. The Ovation is used for the 1-2 person trips, so maybe not as critical. I have about 500 hours in K models and another 500 in the Ovation and the long body does have more tail wag for sure. 

Don - you're absolutely right. I try to avoid those flights like the plague, but sometimes it can't be avoided. 

• Like 1