Life with Presidential TFRs

On 8/22/2020 at 1:25 PM, flyboy0681 said:

VFR flight plans work just fine, but just don't arrive at the outer ring unannounced when coming in, give ATC ample time to identify you and get things squared away if you aren't being handed off to them.

A question to clarify, since my home drome is just inside the outer 30nm ring and I'll be returning during a VIP TFR this Friday:    If I'm under VFR flight following ( "traffic advisories" ) with a discrete transponder code flying direct to my uncontrolled field, do I also need to have filed a VFR flight plan?     ....and does it need to be activated?     

(I'd like my first formation flying experience to be a positive one.)

On 8/23/2020 at 9:47 AM, flyboy0681 said:

I was in Manhattan two years ago when Trump was in town. Words could not possibly describe traffic conditions in midtown as Fifth Avenue was shut down around Trump Tower.

looking at the traffic in mid town lately on the business channel beauty shots, that might not be an issue any longer. Seems all the cars left Manhattan for some reason

1 hour ago, Seymour said:

A question to clarify, since my home drome is just inside the outer 30nm ring and I'll be returning during a VIP TFR this Friday:    If I'm under VFR flight following ( "traffic advisories" ) with a discrete transponder code flying direct to my uncontrolled field, do I also need to have filed a VFR flight plan?     ....and does it need to be activated?     

(I'd like my first formation flying experience to be a positive one.)

Yes, you must be on a VFR flight plan, but that's a good question about "activated":

---------------

All aircraft must be on an active IFR or filed VFR flight plan with a discrete code assigned by an Air Traffic Control (ATC) facility. Aircraft must be squawking the discrete code prior to departure and at all times while in the TFR and must remain in two-way radio communications with ATC.

-------------------

Best suggestion, of course, is to activate it to remove any doubt or question from the Feds.  It's easy enough to do using the Lockheed Martin website, you won't have to talk to anyone on the radio.

https://www.1800wxbrief.com/Website/mobileweb/#/

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Andy95W said:
Yes, you must be on a VFR flight plan, but that's a good question about "activated": ---------------

All aircraft must be on an active IFR or filed VFR flight plan with a discrete code assigned by an Air Traffic Control (ATC) facility. Aircraft must be squawking the discrete code prior to departure and at all times while in the TFR and must remain in two-way radio communications with ATC.

-------------------

Best suggestion, of course, is to activate it to remove any doubt or question from the Feds.  It's easy enough to do using the Lockheed Martin website, you won't have to talk to anyone on the radio.

https://www.1800wxbrief.com/Website/mobileweb/#/

You need to have an active VFR flight plan prior to entering the 30 nm ring of the TFR. Found a NORAD guide:

https://www.norad.mil/Portals/29/Documents/NORAD civil aviation kneeboard - US Airspace (Aug 17).pdf

Edited by Marauder
  • Like 2

Just now, Marauder said:

You need to have an active VFR flight plan prior to entering the 30 nm ring of the TFR. Found a NORAD guide:

https://www.norad.mil/Portals/29/Documents/NORAD%20civil%20aviation%20kneeboard%20-%20US%20Airspace%20(Aug%2017).pdf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Need an active VFR Flight Plan but it doesn't have to be actually activated. All they want is a record of who is flying in case they need to refer to it.

Need an active VFR Flight Plan but it doesn't have to be actually activated. All they want is a record of who is flying in case they need to refer to it.

Check the “During Flight” section. It says “activate”. I’m pretty sure means you need to activate it, not just have one on file.

Just now, Marauder said:

Check the “During Flight” section. It says “activate”. I’m pretty sure means you need to activate it, not just have one on file.

When the Mar-a-Lago TFR was started, Palm Beach ATC held a town hall meeting and went through all of the steps and procedures for local pilots and that's what they told the group. Since that time I have flown VFR dozens of times during the TFR and have never been questioned whether I had opened the flight plan, even when returning home. Also keep in mind that during the TFR, Secret Service ATC Controllers (yes there's a such thing) are sitting beside the Palm Beach controllers watching over the scopes and have a controller up in the tower.

32 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:
When the Mar-a-Lago TFR was started, Palm Beach ATC held a town hall meeting and went through all of the steps and procedures for local pilots and that's what they told the group. Since that time I have flown VFR dozens of times during the TFR and have never been questioned whether I had opened the flight plan, even when returning home. Also keep in mind that during the TFR, Secret Service ATC Controllers (yes there's a such thing) are sitting beside the Palm Beach controllers watching over the scopes and have a controller up in the tower.

There was an AOPA article that was published a while back that mentioned that TFR procedures may be modified from the original intent of 91.141. Maybe this is what they meant.

When I pull up an active Trump TFR, it clearly shows it requires an active IFR or filed VFR flight plan. This leads to more confusion as to whether it needs to be activated.

b01413ae8bfb0e7a253c9344adbd934d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by Marauder

3 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

We have the biggest TFRs..Our TFRs are the best, they are the biggest in the world.

And the longest-lasting! See Washington, DC and Disneyworld . . . .

That's why I posted my 13th-floor-view of the DCA VOR, because that's about as high as I'll ever see it. In the airliner, the view from the back is rather restricted!

Edited by Hank
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hank said:

And the longest-lasting! See Washington, DC and Disneyworld . . . .

That's why I posted my 13th-floor-view of the DCA VOR, because that's about as high as I'll ever see it. In the airliner, the view from the back is rather restricted!

Disneyland, too.  I think it's marketing rather than practicality.  Remember Disney also single-handedly got the copyright laws changed so that the Mickey Mouse copyrights wouldn't expire and become public domain.    They seem to know how to get what they want from the government.

Edited by EricJ

9 minutes ago, EricJ said:

Disneyland, too.  I think it's marketing rather than practicality.  Remember Disney also single-handedly got the copyright laws changed so that the Mickey Mouse copyrights wouldn't expire and become public domain.    They seem to know how to get what they want from the government.

Donald Duck's uncle, Scrooge McDuck runs a very successful Lobbyist outfit.

Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 2.04.36 PM.png

• Haha 1

I think the purpose of the TFR has changed....

Since the military can create confetti out of any plane flying by....

It seems to be an anti-sleep deprivation tactic...

If a pilot wanted to interfere with the performance of the opposing team... slowly flying over the house with a heavy helicopter will make an excellent early wake up call...

I bet the neighbors really appreciate it as well...

Always be friendly to the ATC union... they could put a string of low flying heavy planes over your house for a month...   :)

PP Thoughts only, not a sleep expert...

Best regards,

-a-

• 5 months later...
20 hours ago, Rmag said:

@Marauder first one hits tomorrow at 5:30 PM to Monday 4:00 PM

320BE708-B311-43BA-9450-F6D26E40ED74.png

This may finally fill up your hangars! I did find his first one was unusual. The inner circle is 12 nm wide. Historically they are 10 nm. Heard that it was widened to allow him to visit family in the area. I suspect, when summer rolls around, we can expect to see more of them at his Rehoboth beach home. 

10 hours ago, Marauder said:

I suspect, when summer rolls around, we can expect to see more of them at his Rehoboth beach home. 

Yeah I get to file flight plans at both ends.  His Rehoboth beach outer ring covers KWWD were I land in the summer. 

• Like 1