1980 M20k 231

lvpazik

Just purchased my second Mooney of my aviation hobby time. Bought physical sight unseen. Had extensive prebuy and full annual done by shop in Florida that does mostly Mooney and did the last two annual inspections so knew the aircraft. When completed had flown to paint shop in Deland Florida for complete strip/repaint. My pilot is flying it home as I pen this email. He said it is "flying flawlessly" and very "comfy" with it's new interior and the all glass panel is great. Upon landing in Texas he noticed some discoloration due to heat from the turbo on the cowling (brand new paint job!!).  I've already spoken with the paint shop and told them what was happening and that ALL temps are well within normal range. HERE'S MY QUESTION;  There is no turbo blanket or insulation on the inside of the cowling near the turbo. Is there supposed to be one? If there is I have to try to determine if the shop that did the annual or the paint shop, which also had lots of overspray on the engine top, leave it off!!  We already had to have the paint shop redo a dozen paint faults which they did and did well, and my pilot took an A&P with him and that person noticed no safety wire in the caliper bolts, the electric rudder trim isn't working, the annunciator light test button isn't working and some other things. I told the shop doing the annual "whatever it needs, do". Man you just can't depend on anyone it seems!!  Paint is fixed, plane flies great and the paint shop already said they'd pay for any necessary repairs on the cowling, however repairing becomes a moot point if the issue is missing insulation to protect the cowling from the turbo heat. Again, all temps were well within normal range.  Also, my pilot's A&P noticed the boot in attached picture, I believe on one side of the landing gear well was torn and missing on the other side. Can anyone share what this is and where I could purchase two?  So much for having a thorough annual inspection performed.

IMG_0072.JPG

Edited by lvpazik
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, lvpazik said:

"Upon landing in Texas he noticed some discoloration due to heat from the turbo on the cowling (brand new paint job!!).  I've already spoken with the paint shop and told them what was happening and that ALL temps are well within normal range. HERE'S MY QUESTION;  There is no turbo blanket or insulation on the inside of the cowling near the turbo. Is there supposed to be one?"

@lvpazik If you have some discoloration around the inspection door it's probably not from the heat. K models (231's) are notorious for having exhaust leaks at the slip joints (especially the one in the very front). My 231 has leaky slip joints and develops discoloration around the turbo inspection door after a short time of flying. I have found this stuff to be the best solution for removing the soot and discoloration left by exhaust gasses. I use it around the turbo inspection door and on the belly to remove soot. Great stuff. There is no turbo blanket or insulation installed in the 231as far as I know. Mine didn't have any.

09-42015.jpg

Edited by ziggysanchez

I had a 1980 231 for years. One time on preflight,  I noticed a small tan spot on the lower right cowling, and asked the local mechanic to look. He did, rubbed at it, shrugged, and wished me a good trip. Told him I had done enough ironing in my youth to know scorch when I saw it. Well, it was 4:30 on a Friday afternoon. Who could blame him?

I wanted to go, he said it was nothing, and so I went. on departure I noticed a strong odor of fingernail polish. Hot polish. Through 500 feet, smoke in the cockpit, and there was a loss of power. I struggled around to land, having claimed the busy little airport for my very own. Taxied to the Mx hangar to find a 14” smoking, dripping hole where my tan spot had been. Exhaust pipe had fallen apart. Oopsie. Seems even hypochondriacs get sick sometimes.

Oh, and did you check the SB for jammed stab trim? ‘Nother long story. Known issue for 231s, I learned the fun way. Easy fix.

1 hour ago, lvpazik said:

Can anyone share what this is and where I could purchase two?  So much for having a thorough annual inspection performed.

Those are rat socks, they keep the mice from crawling into the wing, peeing everywhere and corroding out the sub spar. Call a Mooney service center and get a couple of them. You will need them.

Welcome aboard LV...

Your rats are going to have cold feet... they need new socks every few years... :)

You can see in your picture, the outline from where their installation speed tape used to be...

You may want to have your people become familiar with the local MSC....

Mooney Service Centers have the ability to supply service and parts manuals... and supply parts as you need them.

It’s kind of odd to have an open check book approach, and not get fresh socks with that... maybe they are in the mail still... or on a bench ready to install...

Some Turbos have some post maintenance inspections worth reviewing...  These parts get the hottest of any parts on the plane... be on the look out for signs of leaks, tube thinning, or cracks... fun ownership aspect for turbos in general, not Mooney specific...

Congrats on your new2U acquisition...

Does your pilot get Transition Training with that?

Got any cool picture of your plane? :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, lvpazik said:

Also, my pilot's A&P noticed the boot in attached picture, I believe on one side of the landing gear well was torn and missing on the other side. Can anyone share what this is and where I could purchase two?  So much for having a thorough annual inspection performed.

Its a mouse boot. The purpose is to keep mice from getting into the aircraft and causing damage, not just cosmetic, but chewing wiring etc.  Mooney Service Centers generally have them, they wear out and need to be replaced periodically. Also, keep the inside of the aircraft clean of crumbs and loose food, maybe vacuum it out once in awhile.