Couple of questions on a new to me 231.

I just took delivery of my 231 and it appears I have an oxygen leak. My bottle is empty and it was filled when I bought it a little over a week ago. That’s the first issue. I’m wondering if anyone has been down this road. 

Second, I purchased a Schauer power supply with the GPU plug and it doesn’t appear to power the system through the external port or even if I use the terminal clips. Does anyone have experience with one of these?   Thanks!

CTA,

Your POH is going to be your best friend...

O2 leaks are not very common...

Typical issue arises by not turning it off properly...

Lots of wear and adjustment are available....

The maintenance manual will be the next best place to learn about the whole system...

The strangest leak on record was a screw penetrating one of the lines...

If the tank gets shut off properly, this won’t be very noticeable...

There are pics around here on how the valve and control work...

PP thoughts only, Not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

There should be a shut off control on the pilot side vertical wall.  That, obviously, shuts off the O2 flow. It is not uncommon for that valve to fail, the leak could be anywhere in the system but that would be my first place to look.  On the subject, when was your tank last hydrostatically tested. Must be done every five years, and other requirements if it is composite.  

My only experience with the charging port was one winter night when a line kid forced a 28V plug onto my 14V receptacle and started charging away. I came out to check and there was water (I thought it was water) coming out of the bottom of the aircraft. That was the battery boiling over.  It all got fixed, the only quirky issue was that some time later there was a need for the charging port again and it did not work.  There is a relay in the circuit between the port and the battery that was shot. I got it fixed. So check that. It is just inside the access panel on the port side, if memory serves.

PS that’s just the control, the valve itself is in the tailcone I believe.

Edited by jlunseth
  • Like 1

Did you get a POH with your bird?

Often they get lost in transition...

They can be replaced...

The more modern the Mooney... the more specific the POH is to the S/N...

Getting copies of parts and maintenance manuals might be next on your list... a good s helpful at getting these things for you...

Best regards,

-a-

There’s a few threads on o2 leaks on this forum.

When I had my bottle last checked when the installed it one of the nuts was loose, lost all the air, I got some gas leaks finder found it and tightened up, it was only hand tight.

Another time the cable by the pilots knee loosened and did not shut off the valve at the tank.

there are numerous other areas of concern, just best to get a bottle of blue gas leak finder and spray find tighten

• Like 1

My experience with a loss of O2 pressure was not a leak, but a failure of the shut-off lever to completely close the valve back on the regulator. Actually due to the cable (wire) not being able to "push" the valve closed. My hangar elf installed a larger wire, and it works fine.

The GPU plug must have the third contact that powers the relay to allow the current to run to the battery. If it has it, make sure the relay kicks in when the plug is inserted.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DonMuncy said:

My experience with a loss of O2 pressure was not a leak, but a failure of the shut-off lever to completely close the valve back on the regulator. Actually due to the cable (wire) not being able to "push" the valve closed. My hangar elf installed a larger wire, and it works fine.

Yes, its a long control wire.

Obviously the control at the pilots left knee should shut off the valve, via the long cable, back at the tank. But a properly functioning system won't leak any air even with the valve open, if nothing is plugged into any of the ports. Each of the ports has a spring loaded valve that should shut and keep O2 from leaking.

• Like 1