IFR area of discussion?

211º

this should be very topical subject....very smoky low vis flying over much of the west .Visabilities down to minimums and very high vfr conitions on top.BUT..no chance of icing or severe turbulence associated with frontal weather ..ie perfect for beginning IFR pilots....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thinwing said:

this should be very topical subject....very smoky low vis flying over much of the west .Visabilities down to minimums and very high vfr conitions on top.BUT..no chance of icing or severe turbulence associated with frontal weather ..ie perfect for beginning IFR pilots....

I'm not IFR, just finishing up the panel and going to start working on it, but smoke is a completely different animal. Some of us got a good dose of it a week ago going to and returning from Sunriver. One example was our fuel stop at Tracy KTCY on the way back. The weather was reporting clear below 12,000' and 6 miles visibility. Above 4,000' it was great, below 2,000' you probably had that 6 miles that it was reporting, but between 2-4,000 it was not 6 miles visibility.

5 hours ago, Skates97 said:

I'm not IFR, just finishing up the panel and going to start working on it, but smoke is a completely different animal. Some of us got a good dose of it a week ago going to and returning from Sunriver. One example was our fuel stop at Tracy KTCY on the way back. The weather was reporting clear below 12,000' and 6 miles visibility. Above 4,000' it was great, below 2,000' you probably had that 6 miles that it was reporting, but between 2-4,000 it was not 6 miles visibility.

That can happen even without smoke, all it takes is humidity. After cruising nice and high for a couple of hours through beautiful chamber-of-commerce blue skies, descending through 6000 the WV hilltops began getting surrounded by milky white that soon rose and covered the tops, too. Total whiteout on a sunny, warm cloudless day! I logged 0.2 hours Actual on that cloudless descent!

After a while, the hilltops reappeared, and by the time I leveled off at 3000msl the ground and sky were both visible again but not clear until about 2500 msl, and the landing over the trees at my no-approach home base was unremarkable. 

I plan on being an IFR rated pilot soon and like the idea of an IFR specific section. I certainly will be reading every post there. As an aspiring IFR pilot, I am intrigued by the observations, concerns, questions, and adventures of IFR pilots. MooneySpace is an awesome repository of knowledge and grouping the knowledge into sub-categories makes sense to me. So, count me in!

• Like 1

I often remember the saying, “If you travel far enough, things will change.”  This was told to me years ago  to remind me to have a plan but always have an exit plan as well. This was back when we printed out our flight plans and weather forecasts and a moving map was one that was free to move about the cockpit in turbulence!)  Maybe the “Vacation Experiences” subtopic could be broadened to just be titled “Travel by Mooney.”  This topic, then, might be a great place to share experiences of “flying in the system” (IFR) which inevitably would include sharing experiences while in IMC.   Even though there’s a plethora of great information on this site, there does seem to be a slight gap of information about everyday real world travel by Mooney.  In other words, what it’s like to travel across this great country for business and/or pleasure and visit various airports, FBOs, the people we get to meet, the local attractions others might want to experience...and the occasional video of the flight.  Sharing experiences through a great story  is a neat way for all of us to continue to learn.  

Edited by cbarry

• 2 weeks later...

I find that a hood is not close enough to simulating what imc is like.  The welding goggles are as close as it gets, but still not the same.    So, I’ve always gone out and flown approaches when weather is crap.  I find that there is no substitute for preparing for real world hard IFR like flying in actual.

• Like 1